Bring Back The Spittoons

gulfman

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2017
The spittoons would be a chick magnet if bars and restaurants brought them back.Women would drool over macho men drinking a beer at the bar belching and farting and spitting a wad of tobbacky juice across the room.
MV5BMTU0Mjk4MzYzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk1MzcxOA@@._V1_UY1200_CR142,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

I will NEVER forget, as a kid, being at my friend's grandparents house for supper one night and when Grampa finished up, he spit his tobacco juice straight across the room into the spittoon next to the wood stove. I'm not sure I ever saw anyone chew before, let alone spit across the room at the dinner table.

At my shocked expression, my friend murmured, "Don't mind him. That's just Grampa."

Growing up in the city, I remember the No Smoking No Spitting signs in the subway.

I guess spitting was a popular activity in the day.

When I was a kid my parents drive to Missouri to visit relatives that lived in a small farming town. I remember the old men sitting on the sidewalk in rocking chairs in front of the general store talking, chewing tobacco, and whittling on a small piece of wood with their pocket knives. Between the men were brass spittoons they would spit huge slugs of nasty tobacco juice into.
It was the grossest thing ever. ... :puke:

Last edited:
The spittoons would be a chick magnet if bars and restaurants brought them back.Women would drool over macho men drinking a beer at the bar belching and farting and spitting a wad of tobbacky juice across the room.
MV5BMTU0Mjk4MzYzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk1MzcxOA@@._V1_UY1200_CR142,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
Chewing Tobacco was supposed to get people away from smoking because of the lung cancer problem. It was later found out chewing could give you gum disease and oral cancers.

Growing up in the city, I remember the No Smoking No Spitting signs in the subway.

I guess spitting was a popular activity in the day.

When I was in college back in the 1970's, the guys I met from the country were really big with the wet snuff, Copenhagen was the big brand back in the day. They was spitting all over the place. Sort of disgusting when I first saw it. Sort of a filthy and disgusting pastime in my view as well. I tried it and just did not like it.

Chewing Tobacco was supposed to get people away from smoking because of the lung cancer problem. It was later found out chewing could give you gum disease and oral cancers.

Actually, you have it half assed backwards. The old school guys like my grandfathers who were born in the 19th Century were big tobacco chewers going for the mail pouch. People switched to cigarette smoking from chew because it was considered a lot cleaner.

In high school I played baseball. One of my teammates had bought a pouch of chewing tobacco because he had seen the big league pro's chewing it during the games and wanted to be like them. So he put a chaw of tobacco into his mouth and started playing ball. About 30 minutes later we couldn't find him, so we went to the parking lot and found him laid out on the seat of his pickup truck sick as a dog. I swear his face color looked green. ... :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
In high school I played baseball. One of my teammates had bought a pouch of chewing tobacco because he had seen the big league pro's chewing it during the games and wanted to be like them. So he put a chaw of tobacco into his mouth and started playing ball. About 30 minutes later we couldn't find him, so we went to the parking lot and found him laid out on the seat of his pickup truck sick as a dog. I swear his face color looked green. ... :lol: :lol:

My guess is you attended high school in an urbanized or suburbanized area? Guys in rural counties like Cattaraugus NY and Potter PA have no problems with chew, doing it starting in 8th grade.

I love this movie! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

haha. I was in San Diego early 80's. "Foggies Notion" aka the "place across from the sports arena (cause it was) I was at the bar with brass spittoons everywhere. I had a big chaw in and wanted to spit, pulled one to me and saw it was for tips and full of bills! Imagine if I had spewed in it, "there's your tip"

When I was a young kid I remember sharing a chaw of "Red Man" with another kid. I didn't know you were supposed to spit the juice. Dizzy and sick.

Forum List

Back