Bridgerton and the absence of race

fncceo

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2016
I began to binge watch the Netflix series "Bridgerton" which, if you're not familiar with it, is an interesting bonnet drama concerning the men and women of aristocratic families in Regency Period England pitched like MMA fighters in a cage match over finding suitable marriages. Think of a Jane Austen version of 'Mean Girls'.

After three episodes, I haven't found too much exceptional about it except one thing.

The casting was done with complete disregard to race. The cast playing 19th Century English elite, are White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, Indian, and just about everything else under the sun. The actress playing Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, the Queen of England and wife of mad King George III, is an openly lesbian, Black, Englishwoman, with a decidedly Hebraic name.

As I watch the show, I'm almost gratified to see a world where most of the characters are mindless idiots, plotting villains, or cruel bullies, regardless of their race.

The show presents a world of people with the entire list of human failing except one ... not one of them gives a fetid dingo's kidney about race or racial identification.

The lack of racial identification actually makes their other flaws seem to stand out even more.

Is that not the sort of world to which we should all aspire?

Pre-Industrial and Post-Racial.

A perfect combination.

i binged it too....after a few you forget that the race is there...

now i went to a play....cat on a hot tin roof..it was the same...brick was black...maggie was white ...big daddy was white...big mama was black...it was distracting at best...

i binged it too....after a few you forget that the race is there...

now i went to a play....cat on a hot tin roof..it was the same...brick was black...maggie was white ...big daddy was white...big mama was black...it was distracting at best...

I like the fact that we get used to it pretty quickly.

I hate to think there are people out there, black and white, to whom the idea that a society without racial distinctions is anathema.

hold up .i am one of those people...i was raised that race matters and you never cross that line....i have never seen a man of another race that i consider attractive...it is hard to overcome....i have to curb my tongue many times around the wee ones...it is hard not to pass bigotry on but trying real hard not to do it...

Y’all are out of date with the most current social justice thing stuff talk. Currently, it is considered almost as bad as being blatantly racist to say that you are colorblind. Yes you read that right, that is part of the current social justice talking points in academia bullshit. Not noticing race is also a sign that you are enjoying racial privilege. Don’t get mad at me, I didn’t make this shit up.

Y’all are out of date with the most current social justice thing stuff talk. Currently, it is considered almost as bad as being blatantly racist to say that you are colorblind. Yes you read that right, that is part of the current social justice talking points in academia bullshit. Not noticing race is also a sign that you are enjoying racial privilege. Don’t get mad at me, I didn’t make this shit up.

The man (or woman) who invented the candle put thousands of torch makers out of job.

It's an immutable law, someone will always be a loser when things change. Even for the better.

...does it advance the interests of the party?

Depends upon the party.

1.jpg

Y
I began to binge watch the Netflix series "Bridgerton" which, if you're not familiar with it, is an interesting bonnet drama concerning the men and women of aristocratic families in Regency Period England pitched like MMA fighters in a cage match over finding suitable marriages. Think of a Jane Austen version of 'Mean Girls'.

After three episodes, I haven't found too much exceptional about it except one thing.

The casting was done with complete disregard to race. The cast playing 19th Century English elite, are White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, Indian, and just about everything else under the sun. The actress playing Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, the Queen of England and wife of mad King George III, is an openly lesbian, Black, Englishwoman, with a decidedly Hebraic name.

As I watch the show, I'm almost gratified to see a world where most of the characters are mindless idiots, plotting villains, or cruel bullies, regardless of their race.

The show presents a world of people with the entire list of human failing except one ... not one of them gives a fetid dingo's kidney about race or racial identification.

The lack of racial identification actually makes their other flaws seem to stand out even more.

Is that not the sort of world to which we should all aspire?
You surprise me! I thought you'd be more into Starsky and Hutch. Die Hard. And Mission Impossible than English Period Drama's.
I like factual historical films & TV series. Harlots is okay, and Versailles was good. Although I'm a stickler for historical accuracy.

The BBC took up a positive discrimination employment policy decades ago and at least half of the presenters are black.

Where I object is when they employ someone in a role he doesn't know anything about.
A guy called Rishi who is black from Trinidad is employed as a Horse Racing Reporter.
It was obvious from the start that he knew Jack shit about Horse Racing. He even admitted that his father
who is a trainer in Trinidad is always criticizes him over his lack of knowledge of 'form'.

A few folks were banned from a gambling forum for criticizing him, for racism which I think was unfair.

When I was pre-pubescent I wanted to be an actor between wanting to be a Jockey and a football striker.
I was also a good singer and did a mean impersonation of Otis Redding who I always wanted to play in a film. Naively I thought as it's art people would just look over the fact I'm white but mates and family just laughed at me.

I'd still like to do it on say 'Stars In Their Eyes'. but have the feeling that this time around it would be the black folk who'd object.

Forum List

Back