Breast-Feeding: Private Act or Public Right?

The society is oversexed so a baby shouldnt be fed? Keeping a naked breast from public view is more important than a baby getting its NEEDED food?

Its not about "so long as you get to do what you've decided to do", its FEEDING your child and last time I checked we are against "not feeding" our children since humans need FOOD to live.

Its better to fix such a screwed up society than to ask a baby to not eat when it needs and mothers to not feed their children.

I din't say a baby shouldn't be fed. But feeding it wherever you choose is akin to people taking a dump or a piss just because they "need" to, wherever and whenever they want.

It's better to ask the mother to use a little common sense when feeding her child. That liberal mindset "everyone else should change to suit me" doesn't cut it.

I din't say a baby shouldn't be fed. But feeding it wherever you choose is akin to people taking a dump or a piss just because they "need" to, wherever and whenever they want.

It's better to ask the mother to use a little common sense when feeding her child. That liberal mindset "everyone else should change to suit me" doesn't cut it.

Babies dont have much ability to "wait" yet. Babies who are breastfed need to eat more frequently and mothers and babies shouldnt have to go through circus hoops or be shut inside and away due to that fact.

Common sense is to feed her baby who needs it and those who "cant handle" seeing it should use their common sense and look away or go to a different area or go home, why should what YOU need take precedence over what that baby needs? Why do you automatically think the mother and baby should accomodate you when your need to "not see a naked breast" is so much less important than the need for nutrition is.

It sounds to me like you are claiming to be a liberal. You are the one with a problem with viewing a naked breast in public so a mother can breastfeed a hungry baby and YOU want them to go do it in a way that will make YOU comfortable. Why arent you taking the responsiblity then to walk to a different area to make it all comfortable then? Arent you simply describing yourself as a person who wants others to change to suit you and isnt that what you described as a "liberal" way to think?

BTW, the piss and shit analogy isnt a good one. There are health reasons we do that in certain places. A woman revealing a breast in public and breast feeding a child does not pose a health risk.

Babies dont have much ability to "wait" yet. Babies who are breastfed need to eat more frequently and mothers and babies shouldnt have to go through circus hoops or be shut inside and away due to that fact.

Common sense is to feed her baby who needs it and those who "cant handle" seeing it should use their common sense and look away or go to a different area or go home, why should what YOU need take precedence over what that baby needs? Why do you automatically think the mother and baby should accomodate you when your need to "not see a naked breast" is so much less important than the need for nutrition is.

It sounds to me like you are claiming to be a liberal. You are the one with a problem with viewing a naked breast in public so a mother can breastfeed a hungry baby and YOU want them to go do it in a way that will make YOU comfortable. Why arent you taking the responsiblity then to walk to a different area to make it all comfortable then? Arent you simply describing yourself as a person who wants others to change to suit you and isnt that what you described as a "liberal" way to think?

BTW, the piss and shit analogy isnt a good one. There are health reasons we do that in certain places. A woman revealing a breast in public and breast feeding a child does not pose a health risk.

How about not being selfish and instead thinking OF your child? Since when is all that chaos good for a nursing infant? Isn't that why nurseries are so peaceful, complete with rocking chair, so one can nurse their child in peace, without all the hustle and bustle of the household?

Perhaps the mother could think about what's best for her child, rather than her own selfish "wants"?

How about not being selfish and instead thinking OF your child? Since when is all that chaos good for a nursing infant? Isn't that why nurseries are so peaceful, complete with rocking chair, so one can nurse their child in peace, without all the hustle and bustle of the household?

Perhaps the mother could think about what's best for her child, rather than her own selfish "wants"?

No the whole rocking chair stuff is nice but its not neccessary at all. The nice pretty images are nice for TV, real life however dosent bare much resemblance. My son could eat and sleep through ANYTHING. Babies are soothed as long as the mother isnt stressed, the act of breast feeding and the mothers heart rate (which babies become accustomed to during the pregnancy) are extremely soothing.

So again, it makes more sense for people not to try and stress a mother via guilt and shame when she has to feed her child.

BTW, a mall or restaurant etc are not CHAOS, there is just more noise and babies arent that freaked out by noise unless its somthing they are not used to and even those that arent used to it will place their hunger as a higher priority. Do you think even most homes are so quiet? You dont think ringing phones, other siblings , noise from outside etc are also present when at home?

And again, by your logic, "common sense" says you should just "look the other way" when I whip it out and take a leak on the nearest tree. After all, we wouldn't want me to get kidney stones, would we?

It's a perfectly good analogy. You just don't like it because it doesn't suit your argument.

No the whole rocking chair stuff is nice but its not neccessary at all. The nice pretty images are nice for TV, real life however dosent bare much resemblance. My son could eat and sleep through ANYTHING. Babies are soothed as long as the mother isnt stressed, the act of breast feeding and the mothers heart rate (which babies become accustomed to during the pregnancy) are extremely soothing.

So again, it makes more sense for people not to try and stress a mother via guilt and shame when she has to feed her child.

BTW, a mall or restaurant etc are not CHAOS, there is just more noise and babies arent that freaked out by noise unless its somthing they are not used to and even those that arent used to it will place their hunger as a higher priority. Do you think even most homes are so quiet? You dont think ringing phones, other siblings , noise from outside etc are also present when at home?

If you're going to do something like ripping your shirt open in public, then you should expect to get attention for it. The world is made up of all kinds of people. Just because YOU are fine with it, doesn't mean the other 99.9% of the population is..

You reap what you sow... If you're going to whip it out, and not make the least bit of effort to show a bit of modesty, expect to be the center of attention. It's human nature.

And again, by your logic, "common sense" says you should just "look the other way" when I whip it out and take a leak on the nearest tree. After all, we wouldn't want me to get kidney stones, would we?

It's a perfectly good analogy. You just don't like it because it doesn't suit your argument.

It is not SEEING your penis or your ass that I would object to, it would be the dirtying up of the enviroment with urine or feces that I would object to, its strictly a public health issue. I dont think you are objecting on a public health basis but more of a "personal preference" basis. Thats why your analogy falls apart.

Secondly, we have a better ability to hold our bathroom needs til we reach a bathroom than an infant does at holding their hunger needs. Especially young infants who have trouble calming themselves once they get very upset and every second you delay a needed feeding escalates how upset the baby will get.

Its not a health risk to hold your bathroom needs til you can reach a bathroom, it would only pose a health risk if you did this an extremely long time which there would be no valid reason for....there are bathrooms all over.

If you're going to do something like ripping your shirt open in public, then you should expect to get attention for it. The world is made up of all kinds of people. Just because YOU are fine with it, doesn't mean the other 99.9% of the population is..

You reap what you sow... If you're going to whip it out, and not make the least bit of effort to show a bit of modesty, expect to be the center of attention. It's human nature.

Well then you must not be all that worried over stressing the baby afterall. Its good we can dispense with that.

I dont recall seeing women RIPPING their shirts off to feed a baby either. Even the verbage you use is exaggerated. They unbutton, unzip or pull up or down...but I havent seen RIPPING! LOL!

You also just illustrated exactly why women do learn to just "deal" with other peoples ignorance and figure out how to ignore you and go forward with breastfeeding without shame. Of course I bet that attitude really annoys you.

I also dont believe that 99.9% of the population behave or view it as you say. I think there are plenty of people that dont mind it a bit and are quite respectful about it all.

Well then you must not be all that worried over stressing the baby afterall. Its good we can dispense with that.

I dont recall seeing women RIPPING their shirts off to feed a baby either. Even the verbage you use is exaggerated. They unbutton, unzip or pull up or down...but I havent seen RIPPING! LOL!

You also just illustrated exactly why women do learn to just "deal" with other peoples ignorance and figure out how to ignore you and go forward with breastfeeding without shame. Of course I bet that attitude really annoys you.

I also dont believe that 99.9% of the population behave or view it as you say. I think there are plenty of people that dont mind it a bit and are quite respectful about it all.

I'm quite respectful about it.. That doesn't mean I agree with it. I think what's best for your child is a place wherein he/she is secure - his/her own surroundings. Especially during something as intimate as feeding. Like I said before, I can see the need for leaving the house with a nursing child - especially if you're a stay at home mother.. But, do what you need to do, and leave it at that. A new mother does not "need" to be flitting around a mall for half the day just because she thinks she's going stir-crazy. If she does, they make specific areas for breast-feeding...and surprisingly, it's a quiet room tucked away from the general public. It's not the center table of the mall food court.

Okay, I've read the thread, made note of the various arguments for and against, and now I have one question: Is it really that big of an issue?

Look, I'm not as conservative as a lot of members, on most social issues I either don't care or I lean towards the hedonistic. I guess my point is, if we consider the big picture, is a woman breast feeding in public really that big a deal? I guess this is just one of those social issues I just don't care about. In my opinion, there are more important things to concern ourselves with.

Okay, I've read the thread, made note of the various arguments for and against, and now I have one question: Is it really that big of an issue?

Look, I'm not as conservative as a lot of members, on most social issues I either don't care or I lean towards the hedonistic. I guess my point is, if we consider the big picture, is a woman breast feeding in public really that big a deal? I guess this is just one of those social issues I just don't care about. In my opinion, there are more important things to concern ourselves with.

Personally, no it's not that big of an issue.. But, when they start complaining they're being treated unfairly, start suing place for not catering to their demands, THEN it becomes a problem, and they're merely getting what they're asking for - headaches, and excess attention they claim to not want.

It's downright hypocritical, IMO.

Personally, no it's not that big of an issue.. But, when they start complaining they're being treated unfairly, start suing place for not catering to their demands, THEN it becomes a problem, and they're merely getting what they're asking for - headaches, and excess attention they claim to not want.

Good point.

I dont think anyone is asking them to cater to their needs though, they just want to breast feed without being harrassed over it. Breast feeding women dont require ANY action of others to handle it, asking to not be harrassed seems a pretty fair request.

I dont think anyone is asking them to cater to their needs though, they just want to breast feed without being harrassed over it. Breast feeding women dont require ANY action of others to handle it, asking to not be harrassed seems a pretty fair request.

If you don't want to be harrassed, don't put yourself or your child in a situation where you know that *somebody* is going to harrass you. There are specific rooms set aside in almost ALL public places for you to feed your child - what's your gripe against using them?

Forum List

Back