Boycott Israel

Those old information posters full of boring words? Facts are for losers. That the Harvard Crimson’s editors fell for this regime-approved propaganda says something rather damning about the collapse of critical thinking in America.

I am fortunate to know people who are doing the actual, difficult, essential work of creating dialogue and political change among Israelis and Palestinians. Sometimes—often—these people criticize Israel. However, they do not erect massive propaganda billboards labeling the people with whom they are building a future as disease-spreading Nazis. They also don’t throw eggs.

I mention egg-throwing because that’s what happened at Rutgers University, the state school in New Jersey where I live.

Last month on Yom Hashoah, the Jewish community’s Holocaust Remembrance Day, the brothers of the Jewish fraternity AEPi were engaged in their annual tradition of reading the names of Holocaust victims when their reading was interrupted by the thumps of eggs hitting their house. Throwing eggs at the fraternity during this commemoration is also now an annual tradition, since it also happened on Yom Hashoah last year. Credit to the egg-throwers: When it comes to Holocaust Remembrance Day, they never forget.

Spitting at Jews is a newer Rutgers tradition, inaugurated just last week, when people leaving a rally at Rutgers advertised as “Defend Al-Aksa, Defend Palestine” made a detour in their car to stop by AEPi in order to shout and spit at the brothers, calling them “baby killers.” This phrase, also known as the blood libel, is “admittedly controversial,” to borrow the Crimson’s wording about the mural. But what bold idea isn’t?

The time-tested ideas expressed at Harvard and Rutgers, mirrored in similar expressions on campuses around the country, have definitely had an effect. That effect, however, is not on anyone in Israel, because none of this is actually about Israel. It is about the Jewish students down the street.

Here’s one small example I encountered when I spoke two months ago at the University of California at Santa Cruz.

Two weeks before my visit, the school’s student government had voted down a resolution against antisemitism. Once the students had resolved that they were not against antisemitism, they apparently decided that they were in favor of antisemitism. This became clear four days before my visit to campus, when multiple university buildings were vandalized with spray-painted images of swastikas and nooses. I suppose one could call this a kind of art display. Like the one at Harvard, this art display, though somewhat more impromptu, was clearly created by people with, in the Crimson’s words, “passion and skill.” I asked the professor hosting me whether these passionate artists were students, or perhaps people from the town.

“Oh, we definitely think they were students,” my host told me.

What made her think so, I asked?

“Because,” she explained, “we found the empty spray paint cans in the recycling bin.”

What are your politics? Kill the Jews, save the turtles.

At Swarthmore, Haverford and Bryn Mawr Colleges, where I spoke at a joint event a few weeks later, I had the pleasure of viewing videos recorded at a rally earlier that semester, during which dozens of students chanted, “From Swarthmore to Gaza, globalize the Intifada.” I had to explain to my audience, most of whom were infants during the Second Intifada, that the Second Intifada consisted of suicide bombers deliberately murdering and maiming hundreds of Jews in restaurants, nightclubs, supermarkets, buses, hotels, and of course, college campuses in Israel. The Jewish students in my audience, while perhaps unfamiliar with these historic details, had nonetheless received their peers’ message loud and clear. When I asked one of them afterward how many Jewish students were at her school, she made me realize I’d asked a stupid question, one even more pointless than “What are your politics?”

“It’s really not about how many Jewish students are here,” she casually informed me. “It’s about how many Jewish students are out.”

Yes, out. Like being gay, but in 1965.

(full article online)

Seventy Harvard-affiliated faculty have condemned the university’s student newspaper for endorsing the boycott movement against Israel 10 days ago, a move that whipped up a firestorm of controversy and was seen as a possible omen of changing sentiment toward Israel on campuses.

An editor at the newspaper, the Harvard Crimson, and at least eight former staffers also condemned the editorial board’s endorsement of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement on April 29.

The faculty statement released on Monday was signed by leading scholars including Steven Pinkner, Ruth Wisse, Jesse Fried, Gabriella Blum, and Lawrence Summers, who is also a former president of the university and was the US secretary of treasury under former US president Bill Clinton.

“As members of the faculty of Harvard University, we are dismayed by The Crimson Editorial Board’s enthusiastic endorsement of the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel,” the statement said.

“In seeking to delegitimize Israel through diplomatic, economic, academic, and cultural isolation, and by opposing the very notions of Jewish peoplehood and self-determination, BDS is disrespectful of Jews, the vast majority of whom view an attachment to Israel as central to their faith identity,” the faculty said.

BDS seeks to turn the complex Israeli-Palestinian conflict “into a caricature that singles out only one side for blame with a false binary of oppressor versus oppressed,” the statement said.

The movement denies the Jewish people’s right to self-determination, and is against coexistence and dialogue, the statement said.

The professors called on The Crimson’s editors to better educate themselves about Jewish identity, Israel, and antisemitism, and to reach out to Jewish students on campus.

(full article online)

International entertainers of every color and creed are besieged by pressure to boycott Israel as part of an antisemitic smear tactic that spans the globe. Behind it all is the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) campaign, an intimidation network masquerading as a human rights movement. In “Artists Under Fire,” entertainment industry insider and activist Lana Melman puts BDS on trial, and tells the stories of celebrities like Scarlett Johansson, Alicia Keys, The Rolling Stones, and more, who are used as pawns in BDS’ destructive crusade. She calls out a vocal group of artists, led by Pink Floyd co-founder Roger Waters, who has joined the attack and created a star-studded battle between themselves and the thousands of musicians, filmmakers, and authors who refuse to be cowed.
--------------
BDS entangles the ideas of the bad Jew and the bad Israeli and provides artists — and others — with the language and ideas of classic antisemitism when it criticizes the Jewish state. When BDS proponents or others vilify Israelis, they are not referring to the Arab citizens who make up 20 percent of the population; they are talking about the Jews.

While artists such as Jon Stewart, Halsey, John Oliver, Mia Farrow, Viola Davis, and Mark Ruffalo do not (to date) explicitly call for a cultural boycott of Israel, they till the soil for the BDS campaign by demonizing Israel. I refer to these anti-Zionist artists as “Israel Bashers.” While some of them would strongly deny their thoughts or hearts are antisemitic, to me, their comments clearly are. As you will see, anti-Zionism among artists is not black and white; it comes in shades of gray.

Some Israel Bashers do not make any attempt to disguise their contempt for the Jewish homeland. Examples, in my opinion, include fashion icons Gigi and Bella Hadid, whose father is a wealthy Beverly Hills hotelier of Palestinian descent, and English singer Dua Lipa, who is dating Gigi’s and Bella’s brother Anwar Hadid. When the Hadid sisters, with their combined Instagram reach of 119 million followers (a number that dwarfs Israel’s 6.6 million Jews), disseminate disinformation about the Jewish homeland, it has a significant impact on the perception of Israel around the world.

Although some Israel Bashers believe their condemnation of Israel is unbiased criticism, it lacks balance and objectivity. There is no sign of empathy for the suffering of innocent Israelis or any criticism of Hamas’ goal to destroy the Jewish state or the militant organization’s reign of terror on both Israelis and its own people.

These artists are entitled to their opinions, but as public figures with outsized microphones, they have an obligation to get the story straight. If they spent thirty minutes reading Hamas’s charter, with its pledge to destroy Israel, or researching how it treats homosexuals and regards women and contrasted that to the rights of gay people, women, and minorities in Israel, they might be moved to treat all the players with a fair hand.

(full article online)

Here’s the latest installment in our ongoing series of posts documenting BDS fails – the ubiquitous examples of Israeli success that are rarely covered in the British media.

Political BDS Fails​

(full article online)

The agreement focuses on collaborative research with the Bahraini Government Hospitals and will include big data research and various clinical trials.​

(full article online)

New legislation that would prohibit local UK governments from boycotting Israel was announced on Tuesday in the Queen’s Speech, an annual address highlighting the government’s upcoming priorities.

Delivered Wednesday by Prince Charles, because of Queen Elizabeth II’s unavailability for the occasion for the first time since 1963, it placed on the legislative agenda a “Boycotts, Divestment, Sanctions Bill” that “will prevent public bodies engaging in boycotts that undermine community cohesion.”

(full article online)

New legislation that would prohibit local UK governments from boycotting Israel was announced on Tuesday in the Queen’s Speech, an annual address highlighting the government’s upcoming priorities.

Delivered Wednesday by Prince Charles, because of Queen Elizabeth II’s unavailability for the occasion for the first time since 1963, it placed on the legislative agenda a “Boycotts, Divestment, Sanctions Bill” that “will prevent public bodies engaging in boycotts that undermine community cohesion.”

(full article online)

Didn't they do that a few years ago and the court struck it down?

Relations between the Jewish state and the North African kingdom have continued to deepen since the normalization agreement was signed in 2020. The resumption of ties between Morocco and Israel ended two decades of diplomatic estrangement, which was often coupled with misunderstandings and hostility.

“The Abraham Accords contributed to bring two religions and people together, and our initiative seeks to create a platform online that will help Israeli and Moroccans travel to both countries through cultural discovering,” said Errachid Montassir, 26, another Moroccan participant in the program, who is part of the “Traveling for Peace” project. “There can be volunteering opportunities where people from Israel stay with Muslim families, and Moroccan Muslims can be at Israeli families in this country. That is the key, in our opinion, for peace.”

For his project, Montassir has been working to create an app and social media pages on Facebook, Instagram and TikTok to connect people from Morocco and Israel through travel. Every app user will have access to information and tips on restaurants, hotels and attractions in both countries, and will connect to hosts on where to stay.

“Our region is facing a constant clash between positives and negatives. In fact, what is happening here is absolutely positive — nations and peoples who get along with each other building peaceful relations,” President Herzog said in a statement about the visit. “Relations between Morocco and Israel go back hundreds of years, and they have a long history.”

Michal Herzog, the president’s wife, lauded the younger generation for leading change in relations between the two countries.

“At the end of the day, it all comes down to people who know people,” she said. “Once you get to know people up close, and you discover everyone’s true character, you can no longer hold on to stigmas and prejudices.”

Morocco has a rich Jewish history, and was home to one of the largest and most prosperous Jewish communities in North Africa and the Middle East for centuries until Israel’s founding in 1948. As Jews fled or were expelled from many Arab countries, an estimated quarter of a million left Morocco for Israel between 1948 and 1964. About a few thousand Jews remain in Morocco, while hundreds of thousands of Israelis claim some Moroccan ancestry, who are either Moroccan-born immigrants or their descendants, and keep some form of attachment to the country.

“The moment I stepped out of the plane in Tel Aviv everything felt very natural and pure, whether it is the the people, or the land,” Montassir recounted. “While walking around, I saw a Jewish family, then at the same time a church service was going on and then I could also hear a Muslim prayer call. That’s unique, but also it’s pure and natural.”

For Montassir, it was what he called the “real Israel, the heart of Israel, and not the one that we see in the media” at home.

Mhijir proudly recounted that during her visit to Israel, she took her daughter to a church, to a synagogue, to the Al Aqsa mosque, and to a Druze home.

“We are rich if we know how to coexist while being different,” she said. “This I learned here; I have those values too, but I was only able to do that with my daughter here in Israel.”

The delegation’s 8-day trip, which began on May 6, included a visit to the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial, meetings with Israelis, Druze, and Arabs, discussions with tech leaders, and tours of religious and historical sites.

The young activists visiting Yad Vashem were taken around by museum guides who were leading a group from Morocco for the first time. At the Hall of Names, the Moroccan visitors spontaneously decided to recite an Arabic prayer in memory of the victims — an emotional moment that brought all of the participants and guides to tears.

“Yad Vashem broadened my heart. As a Moroccan Muslim who grew up in a religious family, I never dreamed that I could visit Israel and learn about Jewish and Israeli history — and here I am, in the heart of Jerusalem at Yad Vashem, hearing from Jews and Israelis about their complex and difficult history,” Montassir said. “I learned the meaning of the word ‘strong’ and about the power of hope. It has strengthened my Moroccan identity, which is rooted in peace, as well as my connection with Israel.”

The visit was organized by Tel Aviv-based NGO ISRAEL-is, in collaboration with Concert Together for Israel, Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Mimouna Association of Morocco, Edmond de Rothschild Partnerships, and the Kulna Morocco Association. ISRAEL-is running similar virtual meetings to connect Israelis to young people from the UAE and Bahrain.

After meeting with Palestinians in Israel, Mhijir said she believes Israelis and Palestinians have a right to coexist, arguing that the spread of propaganda surrounding the conflict was not helping.

“There is no way the conflict is going to vanish unless there is communication, built into communication for peace,” she said.

As the Moroccan group returned on Friday, both Montassir and Mhijir plan to share what they saw and encourage people back home to visit the Jewish state.

(full article online)

Relations between the Jewish state and the North African kingdom have continued to deepen since the normalization agreement was signed in 2020. The resumption of ties between Morocco and Israel ended two decades of diplomatic estrangement, which was often coupled with misunderstandings and hostility.

“The Abraham Accords contributed to bring two religions and people together, and our initiative seeks to create a platform online that will help Israeli and Moroccans travel to both countries through cultural discovering,” said Errachid Montassir, 26, another Moroccan participant in the program, who is part of the “Traveling for Peace” project. “There can be volunteering opportunities where people from Israel stay with Muslim families, and Moroccan Muslims can be at Israeli families in this country. That is the key, in our opinion, for peace.”

For his project, Montassir has been working to create an app and social media pages on Facebook, Instagram and TikTok to connect people from Morocco and Israel through travel. Every app user will have access to information and tips on restaurants, hotels and attractions in both countries, and will connect to hosts on where to stay.

“Our region is facing a constant clash between positives and negatives. In fact, what is happening here is absolutely positive — nations and peoples who get along with each other building peaceful relations,” President Herzog said in a statement about the visit. “Relations between Morocco and Israel go back hundreds of years, and they have a long history.”

Michal Herzog, the president’s wife, lauded the younger generation for leading change in relations between the two countries.

“At the end of the day, it all comes down to people who know people,” she said. “Once you get to know people up close, and you discover everyone’s true character, you can no longer hold on to stigmas and prejudices.”

Morocco has a rich Jewish history, and was home to one of the largest and most prosperous Jewish communities in North Africa and the Middle East for centuries until Israel’s founding in 1948. As Jews fled or were expelled from many Arab countries, an estimated quarter of a million left Morocco for Israel between 1948 and 1964. About a few thousand Jews remain in Morocco, while hundreds of thousands of Israelis claim some Moroccan ancestry, who are either Moroccan-born immigrants or their descendants, and keep some form of attachment to the country.

“The moment I stepped out of the plane in Tel Aviv everything felt very natural and pure, whether it is the the people, or the land,” Montassir recounted. “While walking around, I saw a Jewish family, then at the same time a church service was going on and then I could also hear a Muslim prayer call. That’s unique, but also it’s pure and natural.”

For Montassir, it was what he called the “real Israel, the heart of Israel, and not the one that we see in the media” at home.

Mhijir proudly recounted that during her visit to Israel, she took her daughter to a church, to a synagogue, to the Al Aqsa mosque, and to a Druze home.

“We are rich if we know how to coexist while being different,” she said. “This I learned here; I have those values too, but I was only able to do that with my daughter here in Israel.”

The delegation’s 8-day trip, which began on May 6, included a visit to the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial, meetings with Israelis, Druze, and Arabs, discussions with tech leaders, and tours of religious and historical sites.

The young activists visiting Yad Vashem were taken around by museum guides who were leading a group from Morocco for the first time. At the Hall of Names, the Moroccan visitors spontaneously decided to recite an Arabic prayer in memory of the victims — an emotional moment that brought all of the participants and guides to tears.

“Yad Vashem broadened my heart. As a Moroccan Muslim who grew up in a religious family, I never dreamed that I could visit Israel and learn about Jewish and Israeli history — and here I am, in the heart of Jerusalem at Yad Vashem, hearing from Jews and Israelis about their complex and difficult history,” Montassir said. “I learned the meaning of the word ‘strong’ and about the power of hope. It has strengthened my Moroccan identity, which is rooted in peace, as well as my connection with Israel.”

The visit was organized by Tel Aviv-based NGO ISRAEL-is, in collaboration with Concert Together for Israel, Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Mimouna Association of Morocco, Edmond de Rothschild Partnerships, and the Kulna Morocco Association. ISRAEL-is running similar virtual meetings to connect Israelis to young people from the UAE and Bahrain.

After meeting with Palestinians in Israel, Mhijir said she believes Israelis and Palestinians have a right to coexist, arguing that the spread of propaganda surrounding the conflict was not helping.

“There is no way the conflict is going to vanish unless there is communication, built into communication for peace,” she said.

As the Moroccan group returned on Friday, both Montassir and Mhijir plan to share what they saw and encourage people back home to visit the Jewish state.

(full article online)

Will a Palestinian's friendship with Israelis keep his house from being bulldozed?

Forum List

Back