Boston Globe printed op-ed it's "serving America" to tamper with prominent Republicans' food

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
They've since deleted the opinion piece, but how fucking disgusting.
Wonder how soon the bullets are going to be flying ?

OPINION | LUKE Oā€™NEIL

Keep Kirstjen Nielsen unemployed and eating Grubhub over her kitchen sink

ONE OF THE biggest regrets of my life is not pissing in Bill Kristolā€™s salmon. I was waiting on the disgraced neoconservative pundit and chief Iraq War cheerleader about 10 years ago at a restaurant in Cambridge and to my eternal dismay, some combination of professionalism and pusillanimity prevented me from appropriately seasoning his entree. A ramekin of blood on the side might have been the better option, come to think of it. He always did seem really thirsty for the stuff.

I was reminded of that episode this week when Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen, the purportedly reluctant triggerman for Donald Trumpā€™s inhumane policies of ethnic cleansing, announced she would be stepping down from her post at the presidentā€™s request. The news comes a little over a year since she took the job, and about nine months since she was infamously shame-marched out of a restaurant ā€” a Mexican one of all things ā€” in Washington, D.C., by a group of protestors just as the news of our official policy of separating families at the southern border was first being reported on. What a delight it was to see.

Around the same time, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders and others in the administration or associated with Trump ā€” such as Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, Mitch McConnell, and white nationalist and dirty coward from the zombie movie who gets everyone else killed Stephen Miller ā€” were themselves being shown the door at restaurants and movie theaters around the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

It was the last time I remember being proud to be an American. It was also one of the only times it seemed like any of the architects of this ruinous xenophobic pre-pogrom might be forced to contend, however briefly, with the consequences of their policy decisions.

Get Today in Opinion in your inbox:
Globe Opinion's must-reads, delivered to you every Sunday-Friday.

And then, well, you remember what happened: The cops arrived, by which I mean the invertebrate lanyard-clutching submissives of the Beltway class, who scolded the protestors for violating the standards of civility.

Read Story
Homeland Security secretary Kirstjen Nielsen steps down
President Trump in recent weeks had asked Nielsen to close the ports of entry along the border and to stop accepting asylum-seekers.

ā€œKind of amazed and appalled by the number of folks on Left who applauded the expulsion of @PressSec and her family from a restaurant,ā€ David Axelrod tweeted, echoing a common refrain across the media spectrum from CNN to Fox News to the Twitter pages of very concerned legacy media pundits with no-show jobs. ā€œThis, in the end, is a triumph for @realDonaldTrump vision of America: Now weā€™re divided by red plates & blue plates! #sad.ā€

ā€œI guess weā€™re heading into an America with Democrat-only restaurants, which will lead to Republican-only restaurants,ā€ said Ari Fleischer at the time, who like his war horny peer Kristol likely prefers his steak bloody, echoing a common refrain across the media spectrum from CNN to Fox News to the Twitter pages of very concerned legacy media pundits with no-show jobs.

ā€œDo the fools who threw Sarah out, and the people who cheer them on, really want us to be that kind of country?ā€ he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

Yes. I do anyway. Then again, I am not a part of the sinecure media class, which is really what that sort of fear about escalating direct action was about. Ideology is one thing, but we canā€™t have the rabble feeling emboldened to confront people like us, they as much as said.

Sadly, the scolding seems to have done its job. Itā€™s been a while since weā€™ve been treated to a soulless Trumpist going viral for going hungry, and the sacristy of the restaurant seems to have held.

Writing in an otherwise solid piece about what should become of Nielsen in the New York Times this week, Michelle Goldberg called for the barring of the former Secretary from a cushy corporate or academic landing.

ā€œNielsen did not create Trumpā€™s monstrous policy of separating migrant families, but she should be known forever as the person who carried it out. She put babies in cages, traumatized children for life, and then appears to have lied to Congress about what she had done. She did this evil work with either blithe incompetence or malicious sloppiness, failing to create a system to properly track kids who were ripped from their families.ā€

She was not saying, she made clear, that people should ā€œscream at Nilsen in restaurants.ā€ Heaven forbid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Over the past two years, at least 22 immigrants have died in ICE detention centers; rape and sexual assault against vulnerable people in our custody, including crimes perpetrated by ICE and DHS officials, have run rampant; and the numbers we have about them are likely wildly underreported. Numerous suicides have been reported. Thousands of families have been separated at the border, and over a thousand plus more have been lost or misplaced. Uniting them ever again may not even be ā€œwithin the realm of the possible,ā€ the administration itself admitted in February. The Government Accountability Office found in October that the administration took no steps and had no plans for how to reunite families. The cruelty, as has often been said with anything when it comes to Trump, is the point.

Yes, much of our mistreatment of migrants was ongoing long before the Trump gang came along. Throw the Obama-era lot in prison too, for all I care. At the very least, throw them out of a restaurant.

If recent anonymous administration officials quoted in news reports are to be believed, Nielsen wasnā€™t always comfortable with Trumpā€™s and Jeff Sessionsā€™ draconian tactics ā€” which are sure to get somehow even worse once her replacement takes over. Regardless, Nielsen carried her orders out dutifully. Iā€™m not sure which is more disgraceful: being a true-believer in the white ethnostate like Miller, or merely getting along and going along, like Nielsen is said to have done, all the while lying about it along the way. No matter, the intentions donā€™t really do much to assuage the pain weā€™ve caused so many human beings.

A petition has been circulating from a coalition of progressive groups called Restore Republic Trust calling on corporate CEOs around America to refuse to give jobs to former members of the Trump administration going forward. ā€œThe cruelty of the [separation] policy was matched only by the incompetence of its execution,ā€ they wrote in an open letter.

Thatā€™s a nice start, and we can certainly add our names to the list, but it shouldnā€™t be all we do. Living in Boston, weā€™re no strangers to visitors from any administration, whether theyā€™ve been given a lecture role at a school like Harvard ā€” which doesnā€™t seem to have any compunctions about welcoming literal comic book-style villains to campus ā€” or of any of a number of other prestigious tech or academic institutions in the area. Invariably the bad guys, like the rest of us, will have to eat. And when they show up in our restaurants, you have my permission, as an official member of the mainstream media, to tell them where to go and what they can do with themselves when they arrive there, but, you know, said in a more specific and traditional Boston colloquialism.

As for the waiters out there, Iā€™m not saying you should tamper with anyoneā€™s food, as that could get you into trouble. You might lose your serving job. But youā€™d be serving America. And you wonā€™t have any regrets years later.

Related

Luke Oā€™Neil is a journalist from Massachusetts who writes the newsletter ā€œWelcome to Hell World.ā€ Follow him on Twitter @lukeoneil47.

Continue Reading

Forum List

Back