BOOM. New Close Up Video Shows Dali Maneuvering into Position, Stopping, Ramming Column Under Power

The APU uses a different fuel than the ship engine does. So, either ALL of the various types of fuel on board were contaminated, or the relays to direct power were non functional, or the entire system was hacked from an external agent, and it was intentional.

There are too many failures happening all at once to be credible as merely an accident.
Well said, but don't blindly accept any of those conclusions to be the right ones.

If there is any conspiracy at all? I'd place my bets on this being a case of the captain, first mate, and crew, simply being loaded, like that Exxon Valdez incident.

I mean. . . why the hell didn't the authorities in the U.S., INSIST, the second this happened, to alcohol and drug testing them all? This is the only way the city/state could bring legal/liability suits against the shipping company?

When and why are corporations profits more important than the taxpayers? It seems, the taxpayers are now sheep, to be slaughtered. .. and since the pandemic, quite literally. :sigh2:

All of this twitter/media alt conspiracy talk is meant to distract everyone from the real issue IMO.

. . . that is, global corporations getting away with ripping off the tax payers & making them pick up the tab, for CEO's continually cutting costs and royally fucking things up in an effort to chase profits.

View attachment 927006

What We Know About the Crew on the Ship That Hit the Baltimore Bridge​

One crew member of the Dali received stitches, then returned to the ship. It’s not clear how long they’ll have to remain on board.

" . . . The ship, owned by the Singapore-based Grace Ocean Private Ltd., had just embarked on a 27-day voyage to Singapore when it struck the bridge early Tuesday morning. Darrell Wilson, a spokesman for Synergy Marine, said on Thursday he did not know when crew members would leave the ship.

Josh Messick, a chaplain and the executive director of the Baltimore International Seafarers’ Center, a religious nonprofit that seeks to protect the rights of mariners, said the crew did not have reliable internet access. His organization was working to deliver Wi-Fi access and SIM cards so they could reach family members back home, he said.

Large container ships like the Dali typically have about 20 crew members, a figure that has come down over the years as operators have sought to cut labor costs. Larger shipping companies may recruit workers from countries like India and the Philippines, where looser labor laws enable them to pay cheaper wages.

Crews’ time at sea can vary, but some voyages are now taking longer than usual: Attacks on ships by the Houthi rebel group in Yemen in the Red Sea have caused lengthy detours away from the Suez Canal, disrupting global shipping across the globe.
Typically, a container ship crew includes the captain, an officer in charge of securing the cargo, sailors assigned to the engines and handling the ship's myriad systems, and stewards who handle tasks like cooking and laundry.

John Konrad, a licensed container ship captain and the editor of gCaptain.com, a shipping industry news site, said every container ship is “unique and has its idiosyncrasies.” It’s normal for crew members to stay on damaged ships because the captain is still in command, and crew members must make sure the crashed vessel — and any potentially hazardous goods — does not pose a further danger.

“They’re making sure the ship doesn’t catch on fire,” Mr. Konrad said in an interview, adding that the crew must also remain to comply with the National Transportation Safety Board’s investigation.

On Wednesday, Jennifer Homendy, the chair of the N.T.S.B., said the ship’s cooks were working when she boarded the ship. “It smelled very good, and I was very hungry,” she said."

IOW? No sobriety tests. .. no drug tests. Nothing to find out if the crew is/was liable for fucking around and . . . ????
(This seems to be industry standard TBH)

Cargo Ship Company In Bridge Disaster SILENCED Whistleblowers​

IOW? A TOTAL FAIL!

iu

boring-meeting1-S.jpg

I was on a carrier that was 1000 feet long... cargo ships can be 900 to 1300 feet long...
Was that the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78)? It was launched in 2022.
Length is not really that important. Consider the difference of the mass tonnage.

Was that the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78)? It was launched in 2022.
Length is not really that important. Consider the difference of the mass tonnage.
USS Abraham Lincoln and a fully loaded carrier is not much less than a fully stacked cargo ship....

I don't think there are multiple fuels. The ship has 5 generators plus the main, and I believe they all use the same fuel, DMA/MGO ISO 8217.

"Dali is propelled by a single low-speed two-stroke crosshead diesel engine coupled to a fixed-pitch propeller. Her main engine, a 9-cylinder MAN-B&W 9S90ME-C9.2[9] unit manufactured by Hyundai Heavy Industries under license, is rated 41,480 kW (55,630 hp) at 82.5 rpm.[2] Her service speed is 22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph).[5] For maneuvering in ports, Dali has a single 3,000 kW (4,000 hp) bow thruster. Electricity is generated onboard by two 3,840 kW (5,150 hp) and two 4,400 kW (5,900 hp) auxiliary diesel generators.[4]"
Yes, on the APL ships I have been on, the APU's all have their own independent fuel supply. On the President Monroe (Now a part of MARAD and named Gem State) her APU had enough fuel to run for over a week at normal power levels.

Yes, on the APL ships I have been on, the APU's all have their own independent fuel supply. On the President Monroe (Now a part of MARAD and named Gem State) her APU had enough fuel to run for over a week at normal power levels.
They may be running on different tanks, and maybe even different fuel grades, I can't say for sure. They often run different fuels in port vs. at sea.

If the generators go down, the main follows. The fuel and oil pumps depend on the generators, and all the control systems are AC powered.

Actually, there are quite a few container ships that gross over 200,000 tons.
But not the Dali.... and there are much heavier carriers in China and India.... we like to get out of trouble as fast as we get into it... so a new age US Carrier tends to weigh less than other nations...

They may be running on different tanks, and maybe even different fuel grades, I can't say for sure. They often run different fuels in port vs. at sea.

If the generators go down, the main follows. The fuel and oil pumps depend on the generators, and all the control systems are AC powered.
While in port they use fuel from the port facilities, unless the port has none. The main engine, and the diesel generators are all run from the main fuel systems. But the APU's all have their own fuel supply. IIRC they would be purged every year or so and the fuel systems inspected to ensure they were operational. Also, during training classes while at sea, the engineering crew would run the APU as part of their training.

But not the Dali.... and there are much heavier carriers in China and India....
Yes, I was merely addressing your statement about the carrier displacement. The Ford Class carriers are the heaviest out there, but they are half the displacement of some of those huge container ships.

Yes, I was merely addressing your statement about the carrier displacement. The Ford Class carriers are the heaviest out there, but they are half the displacement of some of those huge container ships.
I was surprised to see how much they weigh... Now why do they send them out without a couple of tug boats?... seems that would be safer...

I was surprised to see how much they weigh... Now why do they send them out without a couple of tug boats?... seems that would be safer...
In some ports that is mandatory. The reality is these super ships are so large that very few ports period can handle them.

Bad plan.... bet we see changes after this...
Sadly, probably not. Since my friend retired he tells me that the quality of the crews, and the quality of their training is dropping fast. Port Authorities are also in free fall competency wise. It's sad.

The main engine, and the diesel generators are all run from the main fuel systems. But the APU's all have their own fuel supply.
The generators are the auxiliaries. Do you have anything that says there is an additional one beyond the 4 main generators and the emergency generator?

I see one main engine, 4 generators (2 for ship's power, 2 for the cargo), plus one emergency generator on deck level.

Forum List

Back