Bleeping Computers

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
First off, let me say this: I've worked around computers ever since the IMP PC and XT first came out. I was also an electronic bench tech for 12 years, so I know my way around technology. But like they say "Most bricklayers don't live in brick houses", I've always used POS junk computers I found at garage sales for $5-$10.

Aside from my wife's computer in her workroom, which she bought new, I have two that I bought at garage sales. The one in the house was nothing special: A Dell Studio with 4Gb of memory and a 450 Gb drive, only used for email. It shit all over itself a couple weeks ago, and randomly would reboot because of a motherboard problem. Even after re-seating all of the cables and connectors, it would do that, and a new power supply didn't remedy the problem.

That's leaves the computer that I use for everything else, which is in the garage. It is also a Dell, but is an Optiplex 745 with 4Bg of memory but an 80Gb drive. Well the drive shit all over itself too, this morning. The drive apparently wouldn't spin up, even though it was recognized in the Bios. Even re-seating the cables and thumping on the drive wouldn't make it spin up, so apparently it was DOA.

Anyway, I took the hard drive out of the computer in the house, installed it in the computer in the garage, and viola! All I had to do was download and install a couple different drivers so it worked properly.

Guess I'll have to go to Walmart and pick up one of their low-priced budget computers for a spare.

First off, let me say this: I've worked around computers ever since the IMP PC and XT first came out. I was also an electronic bench tech for 12 years, so I know my way around technology. But like they say "Most bricklayers don't live in brick houses", I've always used POS junk computers I found at garage sales for $5-$10.

Aside from my wife's computer in her workroom, which she bought new, I have two that I bought at garage sales. The one in the house was nothing special: A Dell Studio with 4Gb of memory and a 450 Gb drive, only used for email. It shit all over itself a couple weeks ago, and randomly would reboot because of a motherboard problem. Even after re-seating all of the cables and connectors, it would do that, and a new power supply didn't remedy the problem.

That's leaves the computer that I use for everything else, which is in the garage. It is also a Dell, but is an Optiplex 745 with 4Bg of memory but an 80Gb drive. Well the drive shit all over itself too, this morning. The drive apparently wouldn't spin up, even though it was recognized in the Bios. Even re-seating the cables and thumping on the drive wouldn't make it spin up, so apparently it was DOA.

Anyway, I took the hard drive out of the computer in the house, installed it in the computer in the garage, and viola! All I had to do was download and install a couple different drivers so it worked properly.

Guess I'll have to go to Walmart and pick up one of their low-priced budget computers for a spare.

I am a tech retard. I only understood about 14 words of your post. :)

But Hi!

Forum List

Back