Blade Runner 2049- Oh My God, that was Awful!!!

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Spoilers Maybe

In the ongoing tradition of Harrison Ford's Action heroes of the 1980's being really terrible dads, we have Blade Runner 2049, the sequel to 1982's Blade Runner.

We meet a replicant cop named K who is of a new variety that doesn't rebel unlike those bad ones in the movies. So he tracks down a Runaway Nexus 8, even though in the original movie, we were assured that Nexus 8's only had 4 year lifespans. During the course of this, they discover the bones of Sean Young's character from the original movie, along with the realization she had given birth.

Our hero also has a relationship with a Hologram Girl for some reason. I guess so he is sad when she gets deleted later in the movie.

If you are watching this movie to see Harrison Ford reprise his role as Deckard, you don't get to see him walking around like someone's confused grandpa until 2 hours into an interminably long movie.

So they want to find the child of Deckard and Rachel because this is a replicant that can reproduce, which is supposedly more efficient than just growing them, for some reason. They say they need more replicants to colonize the outer colonies, but of course, there are plenty of people living in squalor, including a child labor sweatshop.

I can't emphasize enough how long, boring, uninteresting this movie was. It's like they watched the original and still had no idea what made it a good movie.

Can't say Im surprised. For one, it got good reviews from the critics which is hardly ever a good sign, usually means it's pretentious and boring artsy-fartsy nonsense although for some reason the same reviewers rate comic book movies pretty high even drek like Doctor Strange.

I liked the original BR. However, I was kind of surprised smoking would be so popular in the future.

Spoilers Maybe

In the ongoing tradition of Harrison Ford's Action heroes of the 1980's being really terrible dads, we have Blade Runner 2049, the sequel to 1982's Blade Runner.

We meet a replicant cop named K who is of a new variety that doesn't rebel unlike those bad ones in the movies. So he tracks down a Runaway Nexus 8, even though in the original movie, we were assured that Nexus 8's only had 4 year lifespans. During the course of this, they discover the bones of Sean Young's character from the original movie, along with the realization she had given birth.

Our hero also has a relationship with a Hologram Girl for some reason. I guess so he is sad when she gets deleted later in the movie.

If you are watching this movie to see Harrison Ford reprise his role as Deckard, you don't get to see him walking around like someone's confused grandpa until 2 hours into an interminably long movie.

So they want to find the child of Deckard and Rachel because this is a replicant that can reproduce, which is supposedly more efficient than just growing them, for some reason. They say they need more replicants to colonize the outer colonies, but of course, there are plenty of people living in squalor, including a child labor sweatshop.

I can't emphasize enough how long, boring, uninteresting this movie was. It's like they watched the original and still had no idea what made it a good movie.

I'm disappointed. I demand a second opinion.

Spoilers Maybe

Remakes of movies, or reprising old films into sequels and things hardly ever works. Often they just don't get why the first film was successful.

Spoilers Maybe

Remakes of movies, or reprising old films into sequels and things hardly ever works. Often they just don't get why the first film was successful.

I agree, but this thing is getting unusually spectacular reviews. I'm curious why it's folded a bit, although at nearly three hours it's quite a haul, and LOTR it ain't.

Spoilers Maybe

Sounds interesting to me.

Replicants that can reproduce is awesome.

I'll wait for the DVD to come out though and then I will buy it and catalog it in my library next to "Passengers" with the other futuresque movies.

Spoilers Maybe

It worked however for Pirates Of The Caribbean #5. Great movie !!

Loved it !!

I was planning to wait for DVD or Netflix anyway. I enjoyed the original well enough, but I wasn't clamoring for a sequel.
BR was crying for a sequel.

I'm surprised they waited so long before making one.

Now Ford is old and decrepit.

"Blade Runner 2049- Oh My God, that was Awful!!!"

That seems to be the consensus.

This thread is actually the first time I've seen someone who saw the movie say bad things about it. So far the few reviews or opinions I've seen have been overwhelmingly positive. However, I haven't read all that much yet. Over on the comicbookmovie.com website, the posters love the movie.

This thread is actually the first time I've seen someone who saw the movie say bad things about it. So far the few reviews or opinions I've seen have been overwhelmingly positive. However, I haven't read all that much yet. Over on the comicbookmovie.com website, the posters love the movie.

I remember some movie from a few years back, someone went to Mars, I forget the actual name. But the movie was panned massively. I watched it and thought it was actually okay. Critics like to have their power, and often get it wrong.

I remember some movie from a few years back, someone went to Mars, I forget the actual name. But the movie was panned massively. I watched it and thought it was actually okay. Critics like to have their power, and often get it wrong.

"Mission to Mars" with Gary Sinise?

It's not just critics, it's regular moviegoers as well. For example, IMDB has the movie rated 8.6/10. Fandango fan rating is 4/5 stars. Rotten Tomatoes audience score is 83%. I think this could be a very good movie......for those who are looking for a slow, tense sci-fi drama. Outside of that group, however.....perhaps it's just slow and long. :)

Forum List

Back