black women die from pregnancy-related issues nearly four times as often as white women

Yeap...after they are born as well
  • African Americans have 2.2 times the infant mortality rate as non-Hispanic whites.
  • African American infants are 3.2 times as likely to die from complications related to low birthweight as compared to non-Hispanic white infants.
  • African Americans had over twice the sudden infant death syndrome mortality rate as non-Hispanic whites, in 2014.
  • In 2014, African American mothers were 2.2 times more likely than non-Hispanic white mothers to receive late or no prenatal care
Infant Health & Mortality - The Office of Minority Health

Why?
I know they tend to have high blood pressure, which can be fatal during pregnancy, but why else? Poor health care? Is it worse than anyone else's?

Basque, Exactly, but do you think right wing snowflakes care? Or congressional tools who want to destroy the ACA care? Republicans are a terrible party, but they play their followers well with racism and lies, and the base being mostly ignorant follows along. For the cheering rallies all that is required is a few dog whistles and 'lock her up' and the play continues. One wonders if the fools will ever learn?

170 I After the Election: Imagining [This quote is from paperback edition] Read this book, read this book, read this book.

"Policies like the Affordable Care Act (ACA), which provided health insurance to millions of uninsured and previously uninsurable Americans, should have been one of those race-neutral programs that did not engender this depth of anger-especially because one of Trump's primary constituencies benefited substantially from it. A Gallup poll showed that "the uninsured population among low-income white people without a college degree ... dropped from 25% in 2013 to 15%" just three years later. #50 As much as Trump voters valued finally having access to health care to deal with chronic illnesses like diabetes, to get screenings for cancer, and to make possible a liver transplant, those benefits came with a bitter and unforgivable downside. ACA was Obamacare, which was bad enough in itself" But there was also the "anger ... that other people were getting even better, even cheaper benefits-and those other people did not deserve the help. "52 In vintage dog-whistle language, Trump supporters explained that Obamacare was proof that "Americans have grown too lazy and entitled," that these "other people are getting health care for free," and that "the economy is rigged for people who receive government assistance. "53

Trump supporters, therefore, saw their candidate as "America's last chance" to recreate a nation that reminded them of the good 01' days.#54 The country's growing diversity, Obama's very existence in the White House, and the ever-increasing visibility of African Americans in colleges and corporations had fueled a sense that these gains were "likely to reduce the influence of white Americans in society."#55 Trump's win exposed in frightening ways the "ethnonationalist rage centered around a black president" and the fear that all of the resources and wealth accumulated through centuries of public policy would be subject to "redistribution from older, white America to its younger, more diverse" population."

The ubiquitous campaign slogan "Make America Great Again" (MAGA) was, therefore, freighted with heavy racial baggage. #57 Some 20 percent of Trump supporters believed the Emancipation Proclamation had been bad public policy and that the enslaved should have never been freed." #58 [see below]

Page 170 and top of 171 "White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide" by Carol Anderson

White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide by Carol Anderson

Nearly 20 percent of Trump’s supporters disapprove of Lincoln freeing the slaves

“The trick never ages; the illusion never wears off. Vote to stop abortion; receive a rollback in capital gains taxes. Vote to make our country strong again; receive deindustrialization. Vote to screw those politically correct college professors; receive electricity deregulation. Vote to get government off our backs; receive conglomeration and monopoly everywhere from media to meatpacking. Vote to stand tall against terrorists; receive Social Security privatization. Vote to strike a blow against elitism; receive a social order in which wealth is more concentrated than ever before in our lifetimes, in which workers have been stripped of power and CEOs are rewarded in a manner beyond imagining.”

Thomas Frank, What's the Matter With Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America

• African Americans have 2.2 times the infant mortality rate as non-Hispanic whites.
  • African American infants are 3.2 times as likely to die from complications related to low birthweight as compared to non-Hispanic white infants.
  • African Americans had over twice the sudden infant death syndrome mortality rate as non-Hispanic whites, in 2014.
  • In 2014, African American mothers were 2.2 times more likely than non-Hispanic white mothers to receive late or no prenatal care

Um . . . . and?

Why?
I know they tend to have high blood pressure, which can be fatal during pregnancy, but why else? Poor health care? Is it worse than anyone else's?

There are tons of factors that go into issues like life expectancy and infant mortality. The human body is a complex machine, and its problems are equally complex.

As the OP quotes from the website, they are more likely than white mothers to receive late or no prenatal care, which is a HUGE issue. Native Americans often have similar issues. As you probably know, prenatal care aids in the prevention of some conditions, through things like prescriptions of prenatal vitamins, monitoring of the mother's health issues and medical advice on how to handle them while pregnant, etc. It also allows for trained medical personnel to monitor the child's development, so that they become aware of any congenital or developing issues, many of which can be corrected for once identified.

A lot of people quickly jump to socioeconomic factors, such as that black women experience poverty at higher rates than white women do, but that doesn't explain why blacks also have higher infant mortality rates than Hispanics., or why the infant mortality rate among blacks doesn't significantly improve as the mother's socioeconomic status does.

It’s unacceptable & it’s preventable.
It is preventable, but so are all consequences of poor life-style choices.

No one is forced to smoke crack.

It isn't necessarily due to poor lifestyle choices. The infant mortality rate among black mothers with college educations and good jobs is still higher than that among white mothers who dropped out of high school.

Why?
They suffer from twice the rate of diabetes and I would imagine that also plays a factor-
African Americans are almost twice as likely to be diagnosed with diabetes as non-Hispanic whites. In addition, they are more likely to suffer complications from diabetes, such as end-stage renal disease and lower extremity amputations.
https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/browse.aspx?lvl=4&lvlid=18

Um . . . . and?
My comment was an addendum to the OP...which you have failed to take note of...douche.
Although, since I am a nice person...probably for the same reason they (black community) have higher illegitimacy rates, higher drug and alcohol abuse, higher crime rates, lower grad rates, higher incarceration rates, lower median income, higher abuse rates...IDK...Poor life choices?

It isn't necessarily due to poor lifestyle choices. The infant mortality rate among black mothers with college educations and good jobs is still higher than that among white mothers who dropped out of high school.
Perhaps, but that certainly does not invalidate that lifestyle choices lead to the same consequences and that black women make poorer lifestyle choices in general than their demographic counterparts.

Well what do you think it is? Racism in utero?

Why?
They suffer from twice the rate of diabetes and I would imagine that also plays a factor-
African Americans are almost twice as likely to be diagnosed with diabetes as non-Hispanic whites. In addition, they are more likely to suffer complications from diabetes, such as end-stage renal disease and lower extremity amputations.
Diabetes - The Office of Minority Health

True. Problem is, aside from obvious factors like obesity - which plague just about every race and ethnicity with diabetes - we're still not entirely sure why blacks in general seem to have worse health overall than other groups.

Perhaps, but that certainly does not invalidate that lifestyle choices lead to the same consequences and that black women make poorer lifestyle choices in general than their demographic counterparts.
Yes they do...e.g. 72% illegitimacy rate.

Why?

True. Problem is, aside from obvious factors like obesity - which plague just about every race and ethnicity with diabetes - we're still not entirely sure why blacks in general seem to have worse health overall than other groups.
We do know. It's called genetics.

Um . . . . and?
My comment was an addendum to the OP...which you have failed to take note of...douche.
Although, since I am a nice person...probably for the same reason they (black community) have higher illegitimacy rates, higher drug and alcohol abuse, higher crime rates, lower grad rates, higher incarceration rates, lower median income, higher abuse rates...IDK...Poor life choices?

A couple of things:

First, "nice people" don't lead off with calling total strangers douches for no reason. If you want to be antagonistic and automatically assume any response other than "My God, you're so brilliant!" is an attack, that's fine with me. But it puts "nice person" outside of any realm other than narcissistic delusion. So there's that.

Second, if I have "failed to take note of" an OP other than your post, that usually means I can't see it, because I have the person on ignore. Possibly before assuming OTHER people are stupid, you should try making certain YOU aren't being so.

And third, as I mentioned to someone else, the higher infant mortality rate among blacks remains even when the mother has not been making those "poor life choices". Black people in general seem to form the low end of the "good health" scale all across the board, and none of the obvious reasons provides sufficient explanation. It's a source of confusion and frustration to the medical community.

Why?

We do know. It's called genetics.

No, we don't know. "Genetics" in this case is just another way of shrugging and saying, "Don't know why".

I could get you a detailed explanation of EXACTLY what happens in the human body as it grows obese to cause it to develop diabetes. But no one as yet can give you a similar explanation of why a BLACK body is more likely than a white one to get diabetes under the same circumstances. Simply saying, "genetics" at that point is like saying, "because he's black". Thanks, Captain Obvious, but that's not helpful.

Why?

Oh, I have no doubt that it's tied directly to whatever the cause is of blacks generally having poorer health and lower life expectancy. Problem is, no one's entirely sure what that is.

First, "nice people" don't lead off with calling total strangers douches for no reason. I
Honesty is the nicest quality a person can have.

Second, if I have "failed to take note of" an OP other than your post, that usually means I can't see it, because I have the person on ignore. Possibly before assuming OTHER people are stupid, you should try making certain YOU aren't being so.
Now I have proof you're a douche.

And third, as I mentioned to someone else, the higher infant mortality rate among blacks remains even when the mother has not been making those "poor life choices".
How in the hell would you know what life choices individuals make? Obviously if their mortality rates are high and they are educated then they are probably making bad choices. What else is causing children to abort, in utero racism?

Black people in general seem to form the low end of the "good health" scale all across the board, and none of the obvious reasons provides sufficient explanation. It's a source of confusion and frustration to the medical community.
You are what I like to call...shitlib dense. Are you comfy in your fantasy land precious?

Forum List

Back