CDZ Black people are not "African Americans".

Yes, I have traced my ancestry. I am 80% African and 20% European.
Isn't it interesting that people from Africa were called "Negro" when there is no such country as Negro?
I believe the origins of the reference have to do with "negro" being Spanish for black... at least I think that's where it came from.

If you're born in America then you're American. If you're born in Africa then you're African. Just like Australians, Canadians, Brazilians, and so on. Haiti is a black country not in Africa but we don't call them Haitian Americans. You are where your born at.

What about the millions of middle eastern, white and Indian people who live in Africa and have for a very very long time now? How come no one calls Elon musk, Charlize Theron, Neil blomkamp, and so on African americans? They are from Africa and live in America and citizens. Or other whites with African ancestry?

Everytime you say African American then you're buying into a misconception and essentially a lie because you want to go along with the group and do what the group says to do. You're told to believe something that simply isn't true for no reason at all. You let the bandwagon and white guilt dictate your speech and perceptions.

What I mean is, no one calls me a German, Swiss, Irish, American. It's my heritage, so how come no one calls me by my entire lineage?

So if someone is American and black call them an American or black. It isn't racist to state facts. And the fact is, Africa is a place and not a skin color.
I prefer the term urban chimp.

I believe the origins of the reference have to do with "negro" being Spanish for black... at least I think that's where it came from.
Yes, I've heard that too. So, that gives the answer to the OP's question. African-Americans have been called Negro, colored, Black and lots of other things. (Usually they didn't get to choose what they were called).
If my personal preference is to be called African-American, so be it.

Actually no.
If you weren't born there it's stupid to call yourself African.
It's the same as guys cutting off their junk and claiming they're a girl.
African-Americans weren't born in "Negroland" but for centuries they were called "Negro".
Why was that?

And where exactly is this Negroland located?
Precisely. There is no such place. The word "Negro" came out of the slave tradition. The enslavers named their chattel what they wanted to name them. So, it makes more sense for an African-American to identify themselves by their ancestral homeland, than to simply say they are American.
Thank you so much for helping me explain this.

Precisely. There is no such place. The word "Negro" came out of the slave tradition. The enslavers named their chattel what they wanted to name them. So, it makes more sense for an African-American to identify themselves by their ancestral homeland, than to simply say they are American.

Thats the dumbest thing I've heard today.
There's no such thing as Honkyland either.

Perhaps you should do a little bit of research before spouting out shit you know nothing about.

"Negro means "black" in both Spanish and Portuguese languages, is derived from the Latin word niger of the same meaning. The term "negro", literally the Spanish and Portuguese to refer to Black Africans and people with that heritage used “black.” From the 18th century to the mid-20th century, "negro" (later capitalized) was considered the correct and proper term for African Americans. It fell out of favor by the 1970s in the United States."

Thats the dumbest thing I've heard today.
There's no such thing as Honkyland either.

Perhaps you should do a little bit of research before spouting out shit you know nothing about.

"Negro means "black" in both Spanish and Portuguese languages, is derived from the Latin word niger of the same meaning. The term "negro", literally the Spanish and Portuguese to refer to Black Africans and people with that heritage used “black.” From the 18th century to the mid-20th century, "negro" (later capitalized) was considered the correct and proper term for African Americans. It fell out of favor by the 1970s in the United States."
Of course there is no "Honkeyland". Honkey has never been an acceptable label for Whites. But, "Negro" was an acceptable label for people of African descent for centuries. Even though there is no country called "Negroland".
Thank you for making this so clear to whoever reads this thread.

Negro is the Spanish word for "black".

Of course there is no "Honkeyland". Honkey has never been an acceptable label for Whites. But, "Negro" was an acceptable label for people of African descent for centuries. Even though there is no country called "Negroland".

You're a complete idiot.
Negro is just Spanish and Portuguese for black.
It had no negative connotations.

It is a Spanish word that has been used for the color black…

Forum List

Back