Black American parents of reddit, why do you name your kids weird names?

I was at the checkout line of a grocery store and noticed the name tag of the young black girl ringing up my items on the cash register.

Her name was Zentyne.

Curious, as to her unique name and spelling. I asker her how to pronounce it and was it a foreign name?

She told me that her mother like "Zen" buddhism and her favorite gum was "Dentyne".

So her mother put the two together and named her Zentyne.

Did I mention the girl was black?? ..... :lol:

fresh breath?

Before racism is called out, I have plenty of black friends. They, and their siblings have "normal" names, I.e. Justin, Jason, Chris, etc.
Just curious why you name your kids names like D'brickishaw, Barkevious D'quell (all NFL players first names) and so on. I don't know 2 people in this world named Barkevious. Is it a "unique" thing? My black friends don't know the answer so I'm asking participants .
I'm a minority too and I know all races have weird, uncommon names like apple and candy for white people, Jesus for Spanish, and so on.
You are welcome!

All people regardless of race name their children some strange names.

I went to a predominately white middle school, and knew a kid named "pisswillie", one named "scooter", and yet another (girl)
named "moonbeam", and one other named "storm".
Hippy names were terrible.

Dawn Rain, Winter Storm, Summer Mist, even knew a Cozy Forest, and of course, all the fuckin' Dylans.

I always immediately doubt the upbringing of anyone named Dylan.

I was in middle achool in the 60's, so I am certain the nature names were a brainstorm during one or both parents being on an acid trip.

I went to a predominately white middle school, and knew a kid named "pisswillie", one named "scooter", and yet another (girl)

Dawn Rain, Winter Storm, Summer Mist, even knew a Cozy Forest, and of course, all the fuckin' Dylans.

I was in middle achool in the 60's, so I am certain the nature names were a brainstorm during one or both parents being on an acid trip.

They say if you remember the 60's you weren't there.

The 60's were an interesting time for me. Being bused out of a predominantly black school environment to the exact opposite, was an adventure that I hated at the time, but if I had it to do over by choice, I would do it all over the same way.

The 60's were an interesting time for me. Being bused out of a predominantly black school environment to the exact opposite, was an adventure that I hated at the time, but if I had it to do over by choice, I would do it all over the same way.

You and a few others

Before racism is called out, I have plenty of black friends. They, and their siblings have "normal" names, I.e. Justin, Jason, Chris, etc.
Just curious why you name your kids names like D'brickishaw, Barkevious D'quell (all NFL players first names) and so on. I don't know 2 people in this world named Barkevious. Is it a "unique" thing? My black friends don't know the answer so I'm asking participants .
I'm a minority too and I know all races have weird, uncommon names like apple and candy for white people, Jesus for Spanish, and so on.
You are welcome!
Depends on what you call normal. I know a couple of white girls named Spring. I know a white kid named Symbol and another named Tesseract.

I was at the checkout line of a grocery store and noticed the name tag of the young black girl ringing up my items on the cash register.

Her name was Zentyne.

Curious, as to her unique name and spelling. I asker her how to pronounce it and was it a foreign name?

She told me that her mother like "Zen" buddhism and her favorite gum was "Dentyne".

So her mother put the two together and named her Zentyne.

Did I mention the girl was black?? ..... :lol:
When I taught, I was amazed at all the Jibrins, Jamals, Alis, and other names from the Muslims that sold their asses into slavery in the first place.
Thats not from the muslims that sold them into slavery. Thats from the religion of Islam.

When I taught, I was amazed at all the Jibrins, Jamals, Alis, and other names from the Muslims that sold their asses into slavery in the first place.
I am amazed that black people in America still name children after their ancestor's former slave owners; John, Sally, Patrick, Jane, Robert, Mary, Steve, etc. ..... :cool:
I never knew the girls to get the Muslim names.

I guess they just make up the weird names for lack of ones not connected to the slave experience.

Frankly, you'd think eventually they would get over it.
Almost all of my girl cousins have Islamic names. Some people have no problem with Americanized names. Has nothing to do with being connected to slavery.

I am amazed that black people in America still name children after their ancestor's former slave owners; John, Sally, Patrick, Jane, Robert, Mary, Steve, etc. ..... :cool:
Why would that be amazing if they live in the US and are not islamic?

I went to Summer camp when I was 12 years old, one of the other girls names was Mary Christmas Day, her last name was Day, she was born on December 25th.

I knew a girl named Sunshine. She did not fit her name at all. Vicious evil skank that thought animal abuse was fun. I caught her at it and broke a few of her teeth. I started calling her GappyShine.

If you're gonna name a female offspring "Lydia" you really should just cut to the chase and go modern with "Midol".
Lydia is a beautiful name. Only an ignorant bore would think otherwise.

Lydia is a feminine first name of Greek origin Λυδια. The name means "woman from Lydia."[1] Lydia is a name in the Bible. Lydia was a woman of God; she loved to hear God's word and put it into action. She also sold purple clothing. In those days, purple was seen as rich and royal. Lydia of Thyatira, woman and deaconess in the New Testament's Acts of the Apostles was a purple cloth dealer. She was the apostle Paul's first convert in Philippi and thus the first convert to Christianity in Europe.
Wiki

Forum List

Back