Birds that eat snakes

We have a mating pair of hawks in a tree next to the house. We live on a creek with shale jutting out of the bank where snakes crawl up and lay to warm up. The female hawk would leave the nest and be back in about half a minute with a snake dangling from her talons. She'd land on a branch close to the nest and tear the snake to shreds before taking it to the nest.

We have a mating pair of hawks in a tree next to the house. We live on a creek with shale jutting out of the bank where snakes crawl up and lay to warm up. The female hawk would leave the nest and be back in about half a minute with a snake dangling from her talons. She'd land on a branch close to the nest and tear the snake to shreds before taking it to the nest.
New England?

Absolutely and in the video they also show Hawks catching snakes. Some birds eat king cobras.

Seldom does it occur to us that the diet of Birds can include snakes. And snakes all over the world.
Check this out for as long as you last.

I watched some of it. The secretary bird should be nicknamed the karate bird. Kicking that snake in the face!

Seldom does it occur to us that the diet of Birds can include snakes. And snakes all over the world.
Check this out for as long as you last.

When I lived on a ranch in Northern California, I routinely saw both wild turkeys and peacocks kill rattlesnakes. Our chickens would kill smaller snakes, too.

I wonder what is the fine line between instinct and reasoning with animals. I see animals going into danger when preying on animals. Lions get gored by cape buffalo or kicked by zebras. I once saw a cheetah get the tables turn on him when a warthog turned about and started charging him. Then there's that vid of the deer stomping a bird to death after the bird had a rabbit in its grasp.

I wonder what is the fine line between instinct and reasoning with animals. I see animals going into danger when preying on animals. Lions get gored by cape buffalo or kicked by zebras. I once saw a cheetah get the tables turn on him when a warthog turned about and started charging him. Then there's that vid of the deer stomping a bird to death after the bird had a rabbit in its grasp.

Just like people, animals take risks when they're hungry.

When I lived on a ranch in Northern California, I routinely saw both wild turkeys and peacocks kill rattlesnakes. Our chickens would kill smaller snakes, too.
Where was that in Northern CA. When I lived in N, CA (Fremont) one fall we had a Turkey stay close to the front door for several days.

Snakes are at a disadvantage in encounters with birds, birds are far more agile and if you can't see anything, you're dead.

That green snake is also in the main video of the OP. Where are those birds found?

Where was that in Northern CA. When I lived in N, CA (Fremont) one fall we had a Turkey stay close to the front door for several days.

Sierra foothills. Turkey everywhere, and there was a small flock of peacocks that roamed the neighborhood. They're excellent hunters, and I saw them kill snakes, lizards, rabbits, mice, rats, and smaller birds regularly.

Forum List

Back