Biologist says white-tailed deer are CARNIVORES!!!

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's what this wacko scientist claims but she's female and thus an affirmative action hire so who knows how good she really is.. Wouldn't surprise me if she's illiterate.

White-tailed deer shown to raid nests eat eggs and baby birds USGS reports NOLA.com

March 6 2015
Seeing fewer quail on your hunting lease? Maybe it's time you stop pointing the finger at coyotes, raccoons and fire ants and place the blame on your murderous herd of white-tailed deer.

Believe it or not, researchers have discovered deer will raid the happy homes of ground-nesting birds and enjoy a nice breakfast of eggs or fledglings.

Pam Pietz, a wildlife biologist at the U.S. Geological Survey's Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center in North Dakota, set up miniature video cameras that ran 24 hours a day to document the fate of grassland songbird nests,according to the USGS.

She was surprised to find deer raided as many nests as badgers, and more than weasels or red foxes.

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what this wacko scientist claims but she's female and thus an affirmative action hire so who knows how good she really is.. Wouldn't surprise me if she's illiterate.

White-tailed deer shown to raid nests eat eggs and baby birds USGS reports NOLA.com

March 6 2015
Seeing fewer quail on your hunting lease? Maybe it's time you stop pointing the finger at coyotes, raccoons and fire ants and place the blame on your murderous herd of white-tailed deer.

Believe it or not, researchers have discovered deer will raid the happy homes of ground-nesting birds and enjoy a nice breakfast of eggs or fledglings.

Pam Pietz, a wildlife biologist at the U.S. Geological Survey's Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center in North Dakota, set up miniature video cameras that ran 24 hours a day to document the fate of grassland songbird nests,according to the USGS.

She was surprised to find deer raided as many nests as badgers, and more than weasels or red foxes.
She didn't claim they were carnivores.

Roadrunner

Roadrunner
Reaction score

March 6 2015

She didn't claim they were carnivores.
If we don't get a grip on feral hogs we aren't going to have much of anything.

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We could just have a great big world's largest barbacue :)

Roadrunner

Roadrunner
Reaction score
We could just have a great big world's largest barbacue :)
You can't eat them as fast as they breed.

We need some sort of feed that sterilizes them.

They are no laughing matter.

They even wipe out snakes.

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, I'm aware of the problems they cause.

mdk

Diamond Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This is certainly an odd tie-in to affirmative action.

Goddess_Ashtara

Gold Member
Reaction score
There is a profound difference between a carnivore and an omnivore...​

Roadrunner

Roadrunner
Reaction score
There is a profound difference between a carnivore and an omnivore...​
A few eggs does not make a herbivore an omnivore though.

Nor does a little kitty grass make a cat an omnivore.

But I am an omnivore, I can live on most anything.

OP
ShootSpeeders

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
Reaction score
When a woman gets a science job you can bet she got it thru special treatment. They make ok social workers and english teachers but on a job that involves thinking, they can't cut it.

OP
ShootSpeeders

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
Reaction score
She said, essentially, they are scavenging, and she's not the only one to have made that observation.
Scavenging? She never said the baby birds were dead? What is wrong with you?

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Reaction score
When a woman gets a science job you can bet she got it thru special treatment. They make ok social workers and english teachers but on a job that involves thinking, they can't cut it.
I'm far from a feminist supporter,in fact my wife calls me a pig on a regular basis.
But I promise you my wife is vastly smarter than you,or me for that matter.
I will say men generally have more common sense though.
No insult to women,just an observation.

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List