Billion Dollar Ideas

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Here's one. Magnetic Helmets. So no two football players can head butt each other. Not magnets that attract but repel each other. Why is this not a good idea? So you can still tackle the guy but it's impossible for your helmet to touch the receivers helmet

Here's one. Magnetic Helmets. So no two football players can head butt each other. Not magnets that attract but repel each other. Why is this not a good idea? So you can still tackle the guy but it's impossible for your helmet to touch the receivers helmet

In theory, that's interesting.

The problem would be weight. Given the size of the players, and the associated level kinetic energy, it would take huge magnets to accomplish what you're going for...

1644854386556.png

That's about as good of an idea as the time you were sitting in your room with a bowl of Jell-o...

...so I'm going with Jell-o.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

In theory, that's interesting.

The problem would be weight. Given the size of the players, and the associated level kinetic energy, it would take huge magnets to accomplish what you're going for...
Watch my luck I get sued for my invention after living in luxury a couple years because of it's side effects.

1644861067499.png

Okay, well, if you come up with something that's not fantasy out of a movie, get back to me...
It's guys like you who say it can't be done

Neodymium magnets are lightweight, but they still have a repulsive force-to-weight ratio of 300-to-1; a 1-pound (0.45-kilogram) magnet could repel at least 300 pounds (136 kilograms) of force. Colello's magnet inserts would weigh in at half to three-quarters of a pound each. He tested the magnets with a standard drop test—the same test helmet manufacturers use to evaluate helmet strength. He attached the magnets to 10-pound (4.5-kilogram) weights, dropped one weight from various heights, and measured the g-force at the site of impact with the second, stationary weight.

Colello found that the magnets could reduce 140-g hits down to 88 g's—a full 8 g's lower than standard helmets—and 40 g's down to a mere 3. The reduction of collisions with low g-forces is just as important, he says, given that repeated subconcussive hits can add up over time and lower the threshold for a concussion, until a relatively mild blow is enough to cause a disproportionate amount of damage.

Neodymium magnets are lightweight, but they still have a repulsive force-to-weight ratio of 300-to-1; a 1-pound (0.45-kilogram) magnet could repel at least 300 pounds (136 kilograms) of force. Colello's magnet inserts would weigh in at half to three-quarters of a pound each. He tested the magnets with a standard drop test—the same test helmet manufacturers use to evaluate helmet strength. He attached the magnets to 10-pound (4.5-kilogram) weights, dropped one weight from various heights, and measured the g-force at the site of impact with the second, stationary weight.

Colello found that the magnets could reduce 140-g hits down to 88 g's—a full 8 g's lower than standard helmets—and 40 g's down to a mere 3. The reduction of collisions with low g-forces is just as important, he says, given that repeated subconcussive hits can add up over time and lower the threshold for a concussion, until a relatively mild blow is enough to cause a disproportionate amount of damage.

Exactly how did all that work for Marty McFly?

How much force do these players exert? It's gotta be a lot

"According to Timothy Gay, a physics professor at the University of Nebraska and author of The Physics of Football, "A defensive back's mass combined with his speed on average, 4.56 seconds for the 40-yard dash, can produce up to 1600 pounds of tackling force."

I guess it would reduce it but that's a lot of force

I think that's just the force the DB generates, not combined with the force whoever he's tackling has generated.

So that would 3200 lbs or there abouts.

"According to Timothy Gay, a physics professor at the University of Nebraska and author of The Physics of Football, "A defensive back's mass combined with his speed on average, 4.56 seconds for the 40-yard dash, can produce up to 1600 pounds of tackling force."

I guess it would reduce it but that's a lot of force

I think that's just the force the DB generates, not combined with the force whoever he's tackling has generated.

So that would 3200 lbs or there abouts.
If it will help, do it.

If it will help, do it.
I wonder what the "whip lash" for lack of a better thing to describe it would be like. So if Im coming in to tackle you and the helmets repel each other does that potentially cause neck problems?

I wonder what the "whip lash" for lack of a better thing to describe it would be like. So if Im coming in to tackle you and the helmets repel each other does that potentially cause neck problems?
First we got to test them on animals
1644873544438.png

Forum List

Back