Biden test-drives an electric Ford pickup truck

However, don't expect to drive it 800 miles to grandmother's house for Thanksgiving.

I sure wouldn't buy one here in Florida.

Rules are not based on the exception. If you want to visit grandma 800 miles away, you should fly, or take a train, and then rent a car. It would be faster and cheaper in the long run.

I thin k EVs have a place.

For a lot of people the daily drive to work is less than 40 miles and an EV works really well for that and for driving around doing errands etc.

I don't know how much you can haul with an electric truck but I would think the range would be greatly reduced and the recharge time doesn't make it practical if you want to cover any longer distance.

If you live in a big city and only needed a vehicle every once in awhile to get from one part of the city to another then they may be something to consider. However, don't expect to drive it 800 miles to grandmother's house for Thanksgiving.

Like many new things, these are of limited value until things like that are ironed out. Only when you can easily and quickly regain a fully charged battery pack will these be ready to replace gas powered vehicles. When cars first came out, they weren't much faster than and were less reliable than horses and were the playthings of the wealthy. Only after they demonstrated superior value when compared to horses and the infrastructure was built out to enable their steady use were they adopted by the masses. When you can drive for hundreds or thousands of miles without extended stops for recharging like you can now with gas power, they will be much more widely adopted. As stated before, they're useful as commuter vehicles with limited drive time and extended time between uses and with some investment in charging infrastructure, a city could begin phasing out gas power within city limits to reduce pollution.

IOW, we're at a critical step right now in the adoption of EV's. Which way we go from here will determine how widely they are adopted.

However, don't expect to drive it 800 miles to grandmother's house for Thanksgiving.

Rules are not based on the exception. If you want to visit grandma 800 miles away, you should fly, or take a train, and then rent a car. It would be faster and cheaper in the long run.
thats an alternative reality,,

Not today, it's not. Today you can get in your own car, and with less than $100 worth of gas, be there at the time of your choosing. If you want to fly or take a train, the tickets alone would cost at least as much as the gas, than you have to consider the cost of renting a car. As for faster, not even close. Have you tried to fly or take a train recently? The only fast part of a plane flight is the actual time in the air, and trains are not much faster than cars, plus they have to stop all the time. The reality is, driving long distances is not really the exception, unless you're an urban dweller terrified to leave the confines of the city.

Case in point. I live in Richmond, VA. In one direction is Washington, DC, in another, Virginia Beach, in another the Appalachian mountains, all within 1 1/2 to 2 hours drive, and many who live here commute to DC daily. I would not take an existing EV to any of those locations for a day trip, because I would need hundred of miles of range and would not want to have to stay overnight just to get enough charge to get back home. Right now, There's a gas station within 20 miles of virtually every point in that area, and I can stop and fill up in a few minutes. This is not the exception, but the rule for most who live here.

Last edited:
Pulling rail road cars on tracks is not the same as pulling the same weight on a road. That was a meaningless stunt with no real correlation to real world use.

Did you also see the F-150 lightning do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds.

Ford Mustang: A Brief History in Zero to 60 MPH - Car and Driver

Dec 11, 2019 — Zero to 60 mph is accomplished in 4.5 seconds, and the quarter-mile lights tripped in 13 flat; our Mustang also hit 150 mph in well under 30 ...

As Biden said, "this thing is fast"

They have a place and I think for a lot , even most people, an EV would work quite well for daily driving but not for long trips
True, but most people don't make long trips except on rare occasions. And for that, they can use alternative means, like flying and renting a vehicle, instead of driving hundreds or thousands of miles.

Pulling rail road cars on tracks is not the same as pulling the same weight on a road. That was a meaningless stunt with no real correlation to real world use.

Dec 11, 2019 — Zero to 60 mph is accomplished in 4.5 seconds, and the quarter-mile lights tripped in 13 flat; our Mustang also hit 150 mph in well under 30 ...

So what?

What is the range of a Ford electric pickup truck when fully loaded and towing a 5 ton trailer?

That's all that matters to people like me who actually use pickup trucks for what they are designed to do.

And FYI the max speed of that Ford truck is limited to 105.

I have no problem with electric cars. No combustion engine of similar HP can match the torque or acceleration of an electric motor but that's not the whole picture either.

They have a place and I think for a lot , even most people, an EV would work quite well for daily driving but not for long trips
True, but most people don't make long trips except on rare occasions. And for that, they can use alternative means, like flying and renting a vehicle, instead of driving hundreds or thousands of miles.

part of the joy if long trips is the drive,, unless of course you have to drive across kansas,,

Some people like to take long road trips I do.

I am considering an EV in the future but it will not ever be my only car.

and you have the nerve to accuse others of alternative facts,,

the picture is to show how some test vehicles can have two steering wheels,,
Of course vehicles can have two steering wheels, but that's special purpose vehicles, like the one Flash showed.

Toyota y la idea del chófer y el guardián: ¿por qué tiene dos volantes este Lexus? (+18 fotografías) - Foto 9 de 17

toyota-chofer-guardian-15-1024x683.jpg

toyota-chofer-guardian-08-1024x628.jpg

I don't know how much you can haul with an electric truck but I would think the range would be greatly reduced and the recharge time doesn't make it practical if you want to cover any longer distance.
First, Ford demonstrated their F-150 lightning, was capable of towing 1,000,000 pounds.
And electric vehicles are meant to replace most of the market, not all of it.

Guess what, strong men pull huge airplanes, sometimes with their testicle!

Doesn't mean it is practical!

and you have the nerve to accuse others of alternative facts,,

the picture is to show how some test vehicles can have two steering wheels,,
Of course vehicles can have two steering wheels, but that's special purpose vehicles, like the one Flash showed.

Toyota y la idea del chófer y el guardián: ¿por qué tiene dos volantes este Lexus? (+18 fotografías) - Foto 9 de 17

toyota-chofer-guardian-15-1024x683.jpg

toyota-chofer-guardian-08-1024x628.jpg
but you accused him of saying biden was in a lexus,, are those your alternative facts??

as for your special purpose vehicle,, that would include a test vehicle,, since its a special purpose vehicle,,

EV's are good at acceleration. It's due to torque and technical stuff, things conservatives understand. What EV's are not so good at is sustained high speed operation.

I thin k EVs have a place.

For a lot of people the daily drive to work is less than 40 miles and an EV works really well for that and for driving around doing errands etc.

If you live in a big city and only needed a vehicle every once in awhile to get from one part of the city to another then they may be something to consider. However, don't expect to drive it 800 miles to grandmother's house for Thanksgiving.

Like many new things, these are of limited value until things like that are ironed out. Only when you can easily and quickly regain a fully charged battery pack will these be ready to replace gas powered vehicles. When cars first came out, they weren't much faster than and were less reliable than horses and were the playthings of the wealthy. Only after they demonstrated superior value when compared to horses and the infrastructure was built out to enable their steady use were they adopted by the masses. When you can drive for hundreds or thousands of miles without extended stops for recharging like you can now with gas power, they will be much more widely adopted. As stated before, they're useful as commuter vehicles with limited drive time and extended time between uses and with some investment in charging infrastructure, a city could begin phasing out gas power within city limits to reduce pollution.

IOW, we're at a critical step right now in the adoption of EV's. Which way we go from here will determine how widely they are adopted.
I can see 10% of the vehicles in the US being electric. However, there is a big jump to the stupid Moon Bats wanting all these vehicles to be electric.

I think even the 10% would put a big load on the existing power grid. Probably the only thing that is saving us now with the existing numbers is the fact they are mostly charged over night when the grid has the least amount of use.

EVs right now are useful in a limited capacity. They can only go for a few hundred miles, then need hours to recharge. That is practical for a commuter or an urban dweller, but not so much for a lot of people.

Case in point. I live in Richmond, VA. In one direction is Washington, DC, in another, Virginia Beach, in another the Appalachian mountains, all within 1 1/2 to 2 hours drive, and many who live here commute to DC daily. I would not take an existing EV to any of those locations for a day trip, because I would need hundred of miles of capacity and would not want to have to stay overnight just to get enough charge to get back home.

Everything you just mentioned is well within the range of any Tesla.

TeslaRange

263 to 353 mi battery-only
2021 Tesla Model 3

387 to 520 mi battery-only
2021 Tesla Model S

340 to 371 mi battery-only
2021 Tesla Model X

244 to 326 mi battery-only
2021 Tesla Model Y

Some people like to take long road trips I do.

I am considering an EV in the future but it will not ever be my only car.

In a couple of weeks my wife and I will be driving to Arkansas from Florida and return. We will take her Honda CRV and probably get 36 MPG on the interstate. We could not make that trip with an EV.

I sure as hell would not buy an EV truck, specially if I had to actually use it for work like you said.

1621615702198.png

looky at the passenger's hand!!!! hahahahahahahahah. And if you watch the video, the steering wheel Xiden is holding is free wheeling, not connected to the axels. no way does a steering wheel turn like that. hahahaahahahahah evidence,

Forum List

Back