Biden stabs rail workers in the back

Railroads made 20 Billion in profits so far this year. They can surely afford 7 sick days for their employees.
It's not that people don't want to work. It's people don't want to be treated like shit for their efforts.
I hardly think getting healthcare, vacation, and personal days, not to mention retirement, is being treated like shit....geez.

They want more paid time off...I get it...

1) they aren't demanding more...they are free to take a personal day...they have no right to paid sick leave. The employees are demanding more, when they ask for that. Millions of Americans have jobs that don't have that.
2) Why? What right do I have to demand them to pay me for days I don't work? I think it's a great benefit, but I would rather make more money when I do work, instead of being able to get paid when I don't work. These railroad employees get amazing healthcare, vacation, and personal days....now they are simply wanting more, and the company says it can't afford to do it.
Incorrect. Railroaders get 8 PL days a year. And they have to be scheduled. Allow me to type that again - SCHEDULED. So, unless you have some superhuman ability to know when you will be sick 30 days in advance, your point becomes pointless.

Why should railway workers be any different from every other American Biden has screwed so far?!

I hardly think getting healthcare, vacation, and personal days, not to mention retirement, is being treated like shit....geez.

They want more paid time off...I get it...
Health care cost employees 400/mth. 35 dollar copay for office visits. 175 copay at emergency rooms. 20% copay on most generic drugs.
3 weeks vacation ( for 1st 17 years - then 4 weeks)
8 PL days. SCHEDULED.
Social Security provides retirement unless you work 30 years at the RR.
401k - ZERO matching.
ZERO sick days.
Please don't post unless you know.
People can see...

Last edited:
I work with those guys on moves everyday. They do what they want when they want with no sense of urgency. You can't count on anything they say and can't plan accordingly. They should start training people that want to work and push these lazy fucks out. Unions are for people that don't really want to work.

Incorrect. Railroaders get 8 PL days a year. And they have to be scheduled. Allow me to type that again - SCHEDULED. So, unless you have some superhuman ability to know when you will be sick 30 days in advance, your point becomes pointless.

I was reading that they actually do get sick days, but at the local level, not as part of the national contract.

Personal Days are personal days, they also get vacation days:
Railroad employees receive substantial paid time off each year, as well as generous paid sick leave for longer-term illnesses. Excluding time off covered by sickness benefits, the average employee receives 25-29 days of paid time off depending upon craft, with the most senior employees receiving 37-39 days of paid time off. Sickness benefits differ between crafts. Some unions have negotiated for paid sick leave instead of Supplemental Sickness Benefits, while others repeatedly prioritized generous long-term sickness benefits paid by railroads over payment for short-term absences. Total compensation, including sick leave benefits, best-in-class healthcare and competitive wages, negotiated over decades of collective bargaining, position rail workers in the top 10% of all U.S. industries.

Sounds like this is more of a union problem

Health care cost employees 400/yr. 35 dollar copay for office visits. 175 copay at emergency rooms. 20% copay on most generic drugs.
3 weeks vacation ( for 1st 17 years - then 4 weeks)
8 PL days. SCHEDULED.
Social Security provides retirement unless you work 30 years at the RR.
401k - ZERO matching.
ZERO sick days.
Please don't post unless you know.
People can see...
Railroad employees receive substantial paid time off each year, as well as generous paid sick leave for longer-term illnesses. Excluding time off covered by sickness benefits, the average employee receives 25-29 days of paid time off depending upon craft, with the most senior employees receiving 37-39 days of paid time off. Sickness benefits differ between crafts. Some unions have negotiated for paid sick leave instead of Supplemental Sickness Benefits, while others repeatedly prioritized generous long-term sickness benefits paid by railroads over payment for short-term absences. Total compensation, including sick leave benefits, best-in-class healthcare and competitive wages, negotiated over decades of collective bargaining, position rail workers in the top 10% of all U.S. industries.
https://www.aar.org/wp-content/uplo...ail-Employee-Time-Off-Policies-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Sounds like more of a union problem...or maybe whatever company you work for

https://www.aar.org/wp-content/uplo...ail-Employee-Time-Off-Policies-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Sounds like more of a union problem...or maybe whatever company you work for
Sounds like you should come work for the RR with all those great benefits. Our family sure doesn't see them.
The RR used to be a great job.
Not the case any more.
Both my brothers are engineers. They are home 2-3 times a week for 10 hours stretches. After taxes,insurance, and union dues they both bring home 70-75k.

This is a disgraceful action by a US president.Reminiscent of that awful Reagan.
America needs a decent leadership that supports the working man and woman.
If railways are so important then pay them.

If rail workers don’t think they’re paid enough get a different job that pays more. That’s how 89% of Americans do it.

All of em. Hence the sick day bill being debated in Congress as we speak.

Got a link for that?

Again, this is about sick days as part of a national contract guideline, not the actual local contracts with the railroads in question, negotiated by the locals.

Sounds like you should come work for the RR with all those great benefits. Our family sure doesn't see them.
The RR used to be a great job.
Not the case any more.
Both my brothers are engineers. They are home 2-3 times a week for 10 hours stretches. After taxes,insurance, and union dues they both bring home 70-75k.
Maybe they should consider working for a different railroad then...I just provided the averages across the country.

I am fine where I am working, and I don't get any paid sick days. I can however take as many as I want though.

Got a link for that?

Again, this is about sick days as part of a national contract guideline, not the actual local contracts with the railroads in question, negotiated by the locals.
Nope. Not part of the contract. It's a separate bill. Look it up. All contracts are bargained nationally - not locally. Locals arbitrate grievances vs the nationally negotiated contract.

Forum List

Back