Biden removes Trump's European aluminum and steel tariffs

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
His reasoning is that it will fix the supply chain. Of course, even a ten year child would understand that this is only going to destroy domestic steel and aluminum companies. We can't get materials unloaded from the freighter as it is now, and shipping prices are ridiculously high. And if you think about it, China will be the main beneficiary from the removal of the tariffs. That's because Europe buys most of their steel from China. They will now mark the price up, and sell it to us, putting American steel workers out of their jobs.

Way to go Joe. Buy American, eh?

"The Biden administration announced on Saturday that it had reached a deal to roll back tariffs on European steel and aluminum, an agreement that officials said would lower costs on goods like cars and washing machines, reduce carbon emissions, and help get supply chains moving again..."

U.S. Agrees to Roll Back European Steel and Aluminum Tariffs

His reasoning is that it will fix the supply chain. Of course, even a ten year child would understand that this is only going to destroy domestic steel and aluminum companies. We can't get materials unloaded from the freighter as it is now, and shipping prices are ridiculously high. And if you think about it, China will be the main beneficiary from the removal of the tariffs. That's because Europe buys most of their steel from China. They will now mark the price up, and sell it to us, putting American steel workers out of their jobs.

Way to go Joe. Buy American, eh?

"The Biden administration announced on Saturday that it had reached a deal to roll back tariffs on European steel and aluminum, an agreement that officials said would lower costs on goods like cars and washing machines, reduce carbon emissions, and help get supply chains moving again..."

U.S. Agrees to Roll Back European Steel and Aluminum Tariffs
Make China Great Again! - Biden slogan and marching orders

China is slashing production. The quid pro quo is to get other us exports to them off the tariffs list

China is slashing production. The quid pro quo is to get other us exports to them off the tariffs list

Like I said, Europe gets most of their steel from China. Biden's removal of the tariffs against European steel will only give China the incentive to produce more.

You do know that China is not in Europe...right?

China is all over Europe right now. Thanks to Biden's removal of the tariffs and the easily-available and cheap Chinese steel, European steel producers will most likely start dumping steel at less than their production and shipping costs. This is going to be a disaster for American steel producers, and the beneficiary will be China.

China is all over Europe right now. Thanks to Biden's removal of the tariffs and the easily-available and cheap Chinese steel, European steel producers will most likely start dumping steel at less than their production and shipping costs. This is going to be a disaster for American steel producers, and the beneficiary will be China.

another the sky is falling post....do you not ever get tired of living in a constant state of panic?

Make China Great Again! - Biden slogan and marching orders
What part of European did you read you miss? It appears to be structured and worded, for in bloc, melted and poured to qualify, specifically to avoid processed metals from China, being used to get in the market.

I can understand why you're not concerned, closet Democrat.

Yes, I am not concerned because I like lower prices. I am a capitalist, and capitalist hate tariffs no matter which party uses them

What part of European did you read you miss? It appears to be structured and worded, for in bloc, melted and poured to qualify, specifically to avoid processed metals from China, being used to get in the market.

He thinks that they get most of their steel from China, and as his norm, he is wrong again.

1635645217927.png

And they will undoubtedly produce more now, thanks to Joe Biden. He just widened the market for foreign steel in this country.

You are free to assume they will. I don't agree, however. China has an energy shortage and its manufacturing consumes the lions share of it. Many of their industries are comparatively inefficient in terms of energy consumption compared to most developed nations. Add into that the skyrocketing energy costs, it would be a lot more expensive to just maintain the levels of output they have. China will focus more on supplying people with stable reliable energy for their homes and such while reducing air pollution. It will keep the masses happy.

Yes, I am not concerned because I like lower prices. I am a capitalist, and capitalist hate tariffs no matter which party uses them

I doubt your credibility. No self-respecting capitalist wants to be put out of business because of cheap and easily-available foreign products.

Now if you can, please explain how removing the tariffs on European steel, is going to benefit American steel producers.

Last edited:
I doubt your credibility. No self-respecting capitalist wants to be put out of business because of cheap and easily-available foreign products.

I am sure if I were in the steel production company I would support this one tariff. But since i am in the steel using business I am happy we can pay less now.

Now if you can, please explain how removing the tariffs on European steel, is going to benefit American steel producers.

In a time when you folks whine daily about inflation, this will bring down the price of many items, it does not benefit the American steel producers, but it sure does benefit American steel consumers.

Fix the supply chain? It wasn't a problem until just very recently.

And what exactly is the supply chain problem? Because joe and his administration seem to blaming a whole lot of stuff on the supply chain, it's almost as if they have no idea what they are talking about.

Forum List

Back