Biden pledges action on guns amid resistance

White House officials met last week with several gun violence prevention groups as they weigh how to move forward on an issue that has stymied Democrats for years.

The White House says President Biden is “personally committed” to action on an issue he has tackled many times in the past. Less than a month into the new administration, Biden officials are meeting with advocates backing reforms that Democrats have been pushing for in Congress, like strengthening background checks.

However, Americans' views on guns may be even more divided than the last time Biden confronted the issue. A November Gallup poll found support for stricter gun laws is at its lowest level since 2016.

But anti-gun violence groups still see momentum. Brady, Giffords, Everytown for Gun Safety and Moms Demand Action met virtually on Wednesday with Susan Rice, the head of the Domestic Policy Council, and Cedric Richmond, a senior adviser to the president.

Officials familiar with the meeting said Rice and Richmond signaled the White House was prepared to use multiple avenues to try to curb gun violence, including executive action, though the administration has yet to roll out any specific proposals.

“I think everything is on the table. I think the White House is certainly supportive of Congress doing their part. I think there are things we’d like to see happen through legislation. ... But certainly there is a role for executive action,” said Adzi Vokhiwa, director of federal affairs at Giffords, an anti-gun violence advocacy group.

Biden making noise again about gun control...So, the argument redux is again on the table...

I have three questions, and would like people to respond without the normal talking pont answers, and bumper sticker slogans....

1. What is an "assault weapon"?

2. Why should law abiding citizens give up their weapons if they are breaking no laws with them?

3. Why are liberals so frightened by a tool owned by someone else legally?

Ok, let's have at it....
1. Any rifle capable of using high capacity magazines.
2. Lots of legal gun ownership guarantees lots of criminals with guns. Hundreds of thousands are stolen each year and right into criminal hands. You are arming criminals.
3. Mass shootings are real. Your fear of being without lots of big guns is the problem.

Americans use their legal guns 1.1 million times a year to stop rapes, robberies and murders...saving on average 170,000 lives each year....

Criminals using illegal guns murdered 10,235 people in 2019....of those 70-80% of the victims were criminals engaged in crime...of the remaining victims the majority are the friends and family caught in the middle of the criminals and their criminal attackers...

And something you will never explain...how is it that as more Americans own and carry guns our gun crime rate fell 75%, our gun murder rate fell 49%...

You won't explain that since it destroys any argument you have for gun control...

Over the last 27 years, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 19.4 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2019...guess what happened...

New Concealed Carry Report For 2020: 19.48 Million Permit Holders, 820,000 More Than Last Year despite many states shutting down issuing permits because of the Coronavirus - Crime Prevention Research Center

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

White House officials met last week with several gun violence prevention groups as they weigh how to move forward on an issue that has stymied Democrats for years.

The White House says President Biden is “personally committed” to action on an issue he has tackled many times in the past. Less than a month into the new administration, Biden officials are meeting with advocates backing reforms that Democrats have been pushing for in Congress, like strengthening background checks.

However, Americans' views on guns may be even more divided than the last time Biden confronted the issue. A November Gallup poll found support for stricter gun laws is at its lowest level since 2016.

But anti-gun violence groups still see momentum. Brady, Giffords, Everytown for Gun Safety and Moms Demand Action met virtually on Wednesday with Susan Rice, the head of the Domestic Policy Council, and Cedric Richmond, a senior adviser to the president.

Officials familiar with the meeting said Rice and Richmond signaled the White House was prepared to use multiple avenues to try to curb gun violence, including executive action, though the administration has yet to roll out any specific proposals.

“I think everything is on the table. I think the White House is certainly supportive of Congress doing their part. I think there are things we’d like to see happen through legislation. ... But certainly there is a role for executive action,” said Adzi Vokhiwa, director of federal affairs at Giffords, an anti-gun violence advocacy group.

Biden making noise again about gun control...So, the argument redux is again on the table...

I have three questions, and would like people to respond without the normal talking pont answers, and bumper sticker slogans....

2. Why should law abiding citizens give up their weapons if they are breaking no laws with them?

Ok, let's have at it....
2. Lots of legal gun ownership guarantees lots of criminals with guns. Hundreds of thousands are stolen each year and right into criminal hands. You are arming criminals.
3. Mass shootings are real. Your fear of being without lots of big guns is the problem.

One mass public shooting in 2020................

It isn't guns or access to guns, you twit....

Ok, let's have at it....
This fails as a strawman fallacy.

What Biden "pledges" is irrelevant, only Congress can enact firearm regulatory measures, and that's not going to happen.

More lies and demogogery from the right.
C'mon dude, you've got to widen your vocabulary. Here are some replacements for your favorite word. Fallacy synonyms | Best 77 synonyms for fallacy

Ok, let's have at it....
Your fear of mass shooting is irrational.

less than 1% of all murders occur in mass shootings.

And if you actually do the math you'll see that you have virtually no chance of being murdered by a person with a gun.

in 2017 14,542 people were murdered by a person with a gun. That's .0043% of the population.

So in any given year you have a 99.9957% chance of not being murdered by a person with a gun.

Why are you so afraid of guns?

His Moon Bat handlers told him that guns are scary.

Ok, let's have at it....
Your fear of mass shooting is irrational.

less than 1% of all murders occur in mass shootings.

And if you actually do the math you'll see that you have virtually no chance of being murdered by a person with a gun.

in 2017 14,542 people were murdered by a person with a gun. That's .0043% of the population.

So in any given year you have a 99.9957% chance of not being murdered by a person with a gun.

Why are you so afraid of guns?

His Moon Bat handlers told him that guns are scary.
first make government and bidens security give up their guns

Ok, let's have at it....
The way Democrats have been acting since the Georgia Run-off nobody in their right mind is going to give up their guns willingly.
They've been acting like a bunch of Nazis.
It used to be we would just yell at anyone who started spouting their lib talking-points.
Now most of us want to kick their teeth in.
It's no small wonder the Dems put walls around the Capital.

Speaking of Georgia voters, suckers!
Don't blame the voters. They got screwed just like the voters in Kentucky.
The Dems rigged the system. All they needed to do was control what got counted...and what didn't get counted.

Don't blame the voters. They got screwed just like the voters in Kentucky. The Dems rigged the system. All they needed to do was control what got counted...and what didn't get counted.

Biden just announced the mother of all election rigging schemes, he intends to give 11-20+ million illegals citizenship and the right for Dems to buy their votes, canceling out the votes of millions of Americans.

Don't blame the voters. They got screwed just like the voters in Kentucky. The Dems rigged the system. All they needed to do was control what got counted...and what didn't get counted.

Biden just announced the mother of all election rigging schemes, he intends to give 11-20+ million illegals citizenship and the right for Dems to buy their votes, canceling out the votes of millions of Americans.
They figure Texas is next....then Florida.

They figure Texas is next....then Florida.

Like Rush has said for decades, Dems do this and it's over the USA is toast.

Ok, let's have at it....

Americans use their legal guns 1.1 million times a year to stop rapes, robberies and murders...saving on average 170,000 lives each year....

Criminals using illegal guns murdered 10,235 people in 2019....of those 70-80% of the victims were criminals engaged in crime...of the remaining victims the majority are the friends and family caught in the middle of the criminals and their criminal attackers...

And something you will never explain...how is it that as more Americans own and carry guns our gun crime rate fell 75%, our gun murder rate fell 49%...

You won't explain that since it destroys any argument you have for gun control...

Over the last 27 years, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 19.4 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2019...guess what happened...

New Concealed Carry Report For 2020: 19.48 Million Permit Holders, 820,000 More Than Last Year despite many states shutting down issuing permits because of the Coronavirus - Crime Prevention Research Center

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.
Thanks for posting such an informative piece. I learned that my state does quite well regarding adults who carry guns for self-protection- about 1 out of 5; in my particular county though I’d say it’s 1 out of 4 adults who carry.

Forum List

Back