Biden changes stance on sanctions, now says they ‘never’ deter

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Remember when the left said Trump didn't impose enough sanctions, yadda, yadda, yadda? And that meant he was Putin's pal or some such BS? Now Biden says this and the leftoids are silent all over America.

President Biden on Thursday contradicted one of his own administration’s talking points during the run-up to Russia’s attack on Ukraine, admitting that sanctions “never deter” military aggression.

Mr. Biden’s comments came just hours after the U.S. imposed a fresh round of sanctions on Russia, slapping penalties against 300 lawmakers — including most members of the Russian parliament — and more than 40 defense companies.

A White House fact sheet hailed the move as a way to stop Russian efforts to fund its attacks on Ukraine.

But speaking to reporters after the NATO summit in Belgium, Mr. Biden acknowledged they don’t really work.

“Sanctions never deter,” he said. “The maintenance of sanctions, the increasing the pain and the demonstration of why I asked for this NATO meeting is to be sure that after a month, we will sustain what we’re doing, not just next month, the following month, but for the remainder of the entire year. That’s what will stop him.”

Mr. Biden also scolded the reporter for asking why he thinks the sanctions unveiled Thursday would make Russian President Vladimir Putin change course.

“I did not say that,” Mr. Biden said. “Sanctions never deter. You keep talking about that. Sanctions never deter.”

Pretty sure this isn't the first time he's said that...but never fear... Perfidious Peppermint Patty Psaki will circle back and tell us what Biden "really meant" ...again.

Last edited:
February 24th...

"Reporters were quick to call out the contradiction between President Biden’s claim that no one expected sanctions against Russia to work and his administration’s previous position against Russia.

Although he announced new sanctions on top of previous ones against Russia in response to its invasion of Ukraine, Biden later admitted that "no one" expected the sanctions to prevent the invasion.". "

"White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Thursday said the Biden administration saw sanctions as a “deterrent” against a Russian invasion of Ukraine, after President Biden claimed that “no one” expected sanctions to prevent an invasion."

Last edited:
Remember when the left said Trump didn't impose enough sanctions, yadda, yadda, yadda? And that meant he was Putin's pal or some such BS? Now Biden says this and the leftoids are silent all over America.

President Biden on Thursday contradicted one of his own administration’s talking points during the run-up to Russia’s attack on Ukraine, admitting that sanctions “never deter” military aggression.
Mr. Biden’s comments came just hours after the U.S. imposed a fresh round of sanctions on Russia, slapping penalties against 300 lawmakers — including most members of the Russian parliament — and more than 40 defense companies.
A White House fact sheet hailed the move as a way to stop Russian efforts to fund its attacks on Ukraine.
But speaking to reporters after the NATO summit in Belgium, Mr. Biden acknowledged they don’t really work.
“Sanctions never deter,” he said. “The maintenance of sanctions, the increasing the pain and the demonstration of why I asked for this NATO meeting is to be sure that after a month, we will sustain what we’re doing, not just next month, the following month, but for the remainder of the entire year. That’s what will stop him.”
Mr. Biden also scolded the reporter for asking why he thinks the sanctions unveiled Thursday would make Russian President Vladimir Putin change course.
“I did not say that,” Mr. Biden said. “Sanctions never deter. You keep talking about that. Sanctions never deter.”

Biden isn't right about much but he's right about this. Sanctions are useless virtue signaling completely devoid of any real effect. If anything they do more damage to us than they do to our Target.

I don't know what they had him on trying to make him look lucid but it didn't work.

Biden isn't right about much but he's right about this. Sanctions are useless virtue signaling completely devoid of any real effect. If anything they do more damage to us than they do to our Target.
Russia's economy is already cratering, the Rubel is worthless and they've had their stock market shut down for 5 weeks to avoid a complete crash.

Winter is over so The Euro's can't be blackmailed with gas the way they could have been in November or December.

He cannot sustain this campaign financially and his own people are turning on him.

No matter what he gains here, he's undone himself an horribly damaged his own country and it's future.

Fast forward to 3:00 listen closely to the reporter and pay close attention to the response.

I have no idea what they have him on but damn, the supposed "Leader of The Free World" is stoned.

[video]

February 24th...

"Reporters were quick to call out the contradiction between President Biden’s claim that no one expected sanctions against Russia to work and his administration’s previous position against Russia.

Although he announced new sanctions on top of previous ones against Russia in response to its invasion of Ukraine, Biden later admitted that "no one" expected the sanctions to prevent the invasion.". "

"White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Thursday said the Biden administration saw sanctions as a “deterrent” against a Russian invasion of Ukraine, after President Biden claimed that “no one” expected sanctions to prevent an invasion."

You just proved my point.

Fast forward to 3:00 listen closely to the reporter and pay close attention to the response.

I have no idea what they have him on but damn, the supposed "Leader of The Free World" is stoned.

[video]

And you!
Joe Biden was right.

Leftists lie and then they lie to cover up their lies in an endless cycle of lies,
depending on what the meaning of "is" is.

Definitely not. A great example would be how sanctions on Iran have prevented them from obtaining nukes.

Another is the crumbling Rubel and economy in Russia.

The sanctions are making it impossible for Putin to continue on and will prevent him from being able to rebuild what's left of his military when this is over if the civilized world can hold together in unison keeping the sanctions up.

Too bad they didn't listen to Trump 3 years ago or Reagan 40 years ago and find alternatives to Russian energy exports for their very lives and with respect to paying their fair shares of NATO.

Had they, this invasion could have never happened.

But I thought Joe said he was the man to deal with Putin because he was the only one to stand toe to toe with him. That, of course, was bullshit, just like these sanctions that our corporations no doubt have the final say on. Biden is a bad liar because he is too dumb and his memory is too poor to remember all his previous lies. That, along with terrible judgement, is what has made him a failed President and man.

Forum List

Back