Best Paint I've Ever Seen!

Thunk

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2019
Minnesota
I'm painting my house and I keep testing different paints on the dog house to see if I like them. (before putting them on the trim of my house).

I tried one today...rustoleum - painters touch. Looks like it's for painting furniture.

I just painted a little patch on the dog house & stuck the brush with WET PAINT into a cup of mineral spirits.

An hour later...that cup of mineral spirits was still as clear as water. NONE of the wet paint had come off the brush.

HOLY HANNAH! I might paint my entire house with this stuff! It doesn't come off no matter what! :banana:

I checked 2 hours later...3 hours later...Mineral spirits still completely clear...and this was a green paint so it would have been easy to see.

Mineral spirits may not be the right thing. As a solvent it is pretty weak. Something like touline or xylene might do better. Oil paint is a horrible cleanup anyway. If it's had a while to dry up might as well throw the brush away.

Mineral spirits may not be the right thing. As a solvent it is pretty weak.

Mineral spirits have worked great for every other paint and stain I've used. Including an exterior oil based primer/sealer. Mineral spirits cleaned that right off my hands and the brush.

Same spirits out of the same bottle wouldn't do a thing to this paint I used today.

I'm painting my house and I keep testing different paints on the dog house to see if I like them. (before putting them on the trim of my house).

I tried one today...rustoleum - painters touch. Looks like it's for painting furniture.

I just painted a little patch on the dog house & stuck the brush with WET PAINT into a cup of mineral spirits.

An hour later...that cup of mineral spirits was still as clear as water. NONE of the wet paint had come off the brush.

HOLY HANNAH! I might paint my entire house with this stuff! It doesn't come off no matter what! :banana:

I used that to paint a fireplace in one of my houses. It was great and looked new for the entire 8 years we lived there.

I may try some of that paint based on your experience.
You don't work for Rust-Oleum do you?
I mean, no offense but I have seen enough bullshit posted here that I have to ask.

Mineral spirits have worked great for every other paint and stain I've used. Including an exterior oil based primer/sealer. Mineral spirits cleaned that right off my hands and the brush.

Same spirits out of the same bottle wouldn't do a thing to this paint I used today.
I buy that stuff in a spraycan all the time. Haven't noticed it being particularly difficult to clean up. Haven't brushed it though. I like how fast it dries. I spent the day brushing oil based poly. The job got done and I threw the brushes and rollers away. I always use a brand-new brush when I do poly.

You don't work for Rust-Oleum do you?

No :laughing0301:

It's just been a long road this summer painting my house and if somebody had given me this info 6 months ago...I would have greatly appreciated it. So I thunked I would share!

Funny thing is...I spot paint my truck with gloss black rustoleum...done it for years...but I never even tried to save the brush...always just threw it away.

But that type of rustoleum is way too high gloss for a house! Need to get semi or satin.

Its a LATEX-based paint; why would you expect an oil-based solvent to break it down? Try water.

It likely has a great deal of pigmentation solids in it which is what makes it cover so well.

Mineral spirits have worked on everything from thompsons water seal to oil based paints to latex paints...but not this one!

I suspect because it's epoxy based.....They make both epoxy and latex based Painter's Choice.

It says latex on the can...but all I know is what I've observed. And all other paints, primers, and stains have come off with this gallon jug of mineral spirits.

It even ate thru the plastic solo cup I was using...After about 5 hours...OOPS! :D

Welp, I done went and did it!

I spent over 6 hours painting today. Everything that was green on the front of the house got repainted with rustoleum - painters touch...hunt club green...satin finish.

I wasn't sure I liked the color...it's GORGEOUS!

I wasn't sire if I liked the "satin" finish...It's GORGEOUS!

I've gone out front now 4 times to stare at it. I have such a huge sense of satisfaction right now! Everything just worked out...even the weather!

Only problem is hand cramps from painting all day...but they'll go away.

Me a happy camper! :banana:

I could only find 2 quarts of the stuff. I had to use a gallon stir thingy (connected to my drill) in a 1 quart can...but even that worked out without spilling.

I just had to stir kinda slowly.

Forum List

Back