Best Mini-series of All Time

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
My vote goes to Lonesome Dove. I bet I have watched the entire thing about a dozen times or more. I've seen ALL the various other "chapters"... Return to Lonesome Dove... Dead Man's Walk... Comanche Moon... Streets of Laredo... all are good but the original is a masterpiece for the ages. By far, my favorite role of Tommy Lee Jones AND Robert Duvall.

upload_2017-11-30_22-51-59.jpeg

*****SMILE*****

:)

My vote goes to Lonesome Dove. I bet I have watched the entire thing about a dozen times or more. I've seen ALL the various other "chapters"... Return to Lonesome Dove... Dead Man's Walk... Comanche Moon... Streets of Laredo... all are good but the original is a masterpiece for the ages. By far, my favorite role of Tommy Lee Jones AND Robert Duvall.

It was good, that is for sure, but I think Shogun is the best for regular TV. Now it is by far Game of Thrones.

Roots.

Roots.

Definitely the best comedy of all time.

"My name is Kunta Kinte." *crack*

Man, where do they come up with such slapstick? :lmao:

It was good, that is for sure, but I think Shogun is the best for regular TV. Now it is by far Game of Thrones.

GoT is a series, I don't think it qualifies as a mini-series. ;)

A series is or was 27 episodes. And, they are open ended. They have no set end date. GoT has a set number of episodes based on the books and once they diverged from them they set a hard and fast end sequence.

A series is or was 27 episodes. And, they are open ended. They have no set end date. GoT has a set number of episodes based on the books and once they diverged from them they set a hard and fast end sequence.

I don't really think of GoT as a traditional mini-series. Maybe it technically qualifies but then, what about series such as Fargo and American Horror Story? Are those also mini-series?

Maybe it's an era that has passed in television? The mini-series were limited episodes over the course of several weeks or maybe a month. Lonesome Dove was 4 episodes of 2 hrs. each. The most recent mini-series I can recall was The Bible.

Shogun was good. Very good. From the Earth to the Moon was awesome though. It told the stories with great actors doing a great job, and with something lacking in so many modern productions. A well considered, and researched script. That was something that both Shogun and Earth to the Moon had going for them. Great writing.

Most movies are inane idocy filled to the brim with special effects and CGI characters. They spend millions on the computer graphics and the special effects an the “awesome stunts” and when they are done, they have a total of $3.27 for the script. I think a fifth grader writes most of them.

Think about the movies of decades ago. The ones that live on and are timeless. The Godfather will be a great movie a century from now. The Big Red One is going to be on the list of Great War movies forever. Think about what made the movies great. Not the special effects. The script. The acting. You could identify with the characters. The Big Red One. The Sergeant did not have a name through the entire movie. He was always the Sergeant.

A friend made a great joke. He said they should announce they were remaking Groundhog Day, and then release the original again.

As time goes by, you get fewer and fewer movies with a story that can stand without a billion dollars in special effects, and more movies and TV with terrible stories but awesome special effects.

A series does not have a set number of episodes. I admit the definitions are often vague, but the simplest one I've seen for mini-series is a show with a set, pre-determined number of episodes. GoT did not have a pre-determined number of episodes when it began; I don't think the number of seasons was determined until the show was done with multiple seasons.

I've seen mini-series defined as only having 4-6 episodes, or of having at least 2 but fewer than 13 episodes. On the other hand, I've also seen mini-series defined as just not being open-ended.

Based on my own experience, GoT is a series, not a mini-series. It's certainly one of, if not the best shows currently on, I just wouldn't call an 8 season, 73 episode show "mini." :D

A series does not have a set number of episodes. I admit the definitions are often vague, but the simplest one I've seen for mini-series is a show with a set, pre-determined number of episodes. GoT did not have a pre-determined number of episodes when it began; I don't think the number of seasons was determined until the show was done with multiple seasons.

I've seen mini-series defined as only having 4-6 episodes, or of having at least 2 but fewer than 13 episodes. On the other hand, I've also seen mini-series defined as just not being open-ended.

Based on my own experience, GoT is a series, not a mini-series. It's certainly one of, if not the best shows currently on, I just wouldn't call an 8 season, 73 episode show "mini." :D

GoT was always intended to follow the books, so yes, a limited series. Roots was a single book that was spread over 8 episodes. GoT is at 73 episodes, but the books are far more complex, and there were five of them when the series diverged away due to Martin not writing them fast enough.

rome was good...i have to admit lonesome dove is my favorite western

one cant trust hbo....still waiting for the last season of deadwood

Roots.

Definitely the best comedy of all time.

"My name is Kunta Kinte." *crack*

Man, where do they come up with such slapstick? :lmao:
apparently lots of them darkies enjoyed that stuff.

enjoyed it so much they worked for free.

Forum List

Back