R.I.P. Larry McMurtry

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
One of America's great writers died yesterday. he achieved his own form of immortality--as long as there is a Texas--Larry will be remembered

Larry McMurtry, a prolific, Pulitzer Prize-winning author and Oscar-winning screenwriter, has died at age 84. He was beloved for riveting and yet unsentimental depictions of the American West in books such as Lonesome Dove as well as for tales of family drama including Terms of Endearment.
In a statement, his representative Amanda Lundberg said McMurtry "passed away last night, on March 25 of heart failure at 84 years old surrounded by his loved ones who he lived with including long time writing partner Diana Ossana, his wife Norma Faye and their three dogs."

In all, McMurtry wrote more than 30 novels as well as over a dozen nonfiction works that spanned memoir, history and essays. He wrote over 20 screenplays and television scripts as well.

Filmmakers were drawn to McMurtry's work; his books Hud, The Last Picture Show and Terms of Endearment were all made into films. Lonesome Dove, his 1985 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, became a successful TV miniseries in 1989, starring Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones.
Born in 1936 on a Texas ranch, McMurtry came to his love of the West through his family. His grandfather broke horses, and his father raised cattle.
"The West is mostly a very beautiful place," he told NPR's All Things Considered in 2014. "There are all those lovely spaces. There are all those running horses. It's a poetic imagery and it's been there for a long time."

But he wanted to scour that landscape of sentimental nostalgia for cowboys, he added. "To me it was hollow and I think it was hollow for my father, although he might not have ever brought that to his conscious mind. He totally loved cowboys and so did most of the cowboys we worked with and that got him through his life. But he knew perfectly well, so did we, that it wouldn't last another generation, it just was not going to last."

But he knew perfectly well, so did we, that it wouldn't last another generation, it just was not going to last."
I want to borrow that line to introduce, Elmer Kelton, who wasn't as famous or prolific as McMurtry, but wrote some really good stories about that line I borrowed.

#1 THE SMILING COUNTRY

#2 THE GOOD OLD BOYS

#3 SIX BITS A DAY

THE GOOD OLD BOYS was made into a TNT original movie starring Tommy Lee Jones. It is now available on DVD.

He, Kelton), also wrote a story that opened my eyes politically, though I doubt he wrote it for that reason-

The Time It Never Rained

I remember, vaguely, as a kid, the adults referring to the drought- that book is a fictional story about that time- the characters, I read, were composites of people he grew up around on the ranch he was raised on in far west Texas- the events were from his memory-

My apologies for directing away from McMurtry- he too was a favorite author-

But he knew perfectly well, so did we, that it wouldn't last another generation, it just was not going to last."
I want to borrow that line to introduce, Elmer Kelton, who wasn't as famous or prolific as McMurtry, but wrote some really good stories about that line I borrowed.

#1 THE SMILING COUNTRY

#2 THE GOOD OLD BOYS

#3 SIX BITS A DAY

THE GOOD OLD BOYS was made into a TNT original movie starring Tommy Lee Jones. It is now available on DVD.

He, Kelton), also wrote a story that opened my eyes politically, though I doubt he wrote it for that reason-

The Time It Never Rained

I remember, vaguely, as a kid, the adults referring to the drought- that book is a fictional story about that time- the characters, I read, were composites of people he grew up around on the ranch he was raised on in far west Texas- the events were from his memory-

My apologies for directing away from McMurtry- he too was a favorite author-
Elmer Kelton is a great read, as well.
Cormac McCarthy is my go-to for the Western novel...but love McMurtry as well.

but love McMurtry as well
He has some books that didn't/haven't received the national attention his more famous ones have, that deal with the foibles of just being a human being trying to make it through life- he also did a book about Crazy Horse-

excellent story teller(s)- both of them-

Forum List

Back