Best for the money?

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
So I'm looking to drop $2000 on a rifle. My requirements aren't too demanding...

7.62 x 51 cal

Semiautomatic

Accuracy expectation - say, 8" groups at 600 yards.

Shortest OAL without the hassle of SBR. RFB comes to mind.
This price range concerns only the rifle itself.

I'd love to hear your opinions.

I own a Springfield M1A. I cannot say enough good things about this rifle. It is accurate and has functioned without a flaw.

So I'm looking to drop $2000 on a rifle. My requirements aren't too demanding...

7.62 x 51 cal

Semiautomatic

Are you wanting a Bullpup?

7.62 x 51 cal

Semiautomatic

Are you wanting a Bullpup?

I am completely open to the bullpup idea. Kinda leaning that way to be honest. But variety, and track record give me pause.

If you want a shorter weapon, look into the Springfield SOCOM. Shorter rifle but still an excellent and reliable action.

I own a Springfield M1A. I cannot say enough good things about this rifle. It is accurate and has functioned without a flaw.
It's definitely one of the top contenders. They can be a bit heavy, and long though.

If you want a shorter weapon, look into the Springfield SOCOM. Shorter rifle but still an excellent and reliable action.
How well does the shorter barrel perform at 600 yds? I've seen them on the rack, and thought of them a few times. How well does it take a scope? While retaining use of the irons?

I would suggest the DSA SA58 as a good start. Accurate and reliable as hell. Yes, shorter barrels DO have an effect on long range accuracy. It can be mitigated however.

So what you are looking for is a semiauto .308, the shorter the better, capable of shooting an 8" group at 600 yards, and which can switch back and forth from open sights to optics?

Everything you want is a compromise on another specification. Shorter means less accurate. Being able to use open sights without removing the scope means the scope sits higher than is optimal.

I would suggest a CETME Sporter in .308 and a scoped bolt action hunting rifle with a heavy barrel in the same caliber.

So what you are looking for is a semiauto .308, the shorter the better, capable of shooting an 8" group at 600 yards, and which can switch back and forth from open sights to optics?

Everything you want is a compromise on another specification. Shorter means less accurate. Being able to use open sights without removing the scope means the scope sits higher than is optimal.

I would suggest a CETME Sporter in .308 and a scoped bolt action hunting rifle with a heavy barrel in the same caliber.

I don't know about the CETME accuracy wise, but the HK 91/G-3 is every bit as accurate as a bolt action rifle and you don't have to carry two rifles! The same go's for the SA58, they're accurate as hell.

I don't know about the CETME accuracy wise, but the HK 91/G-3 is every bit as accurate as a bolt action rifle and you don't have to carry two rifles! The same go's for the SA58, they're accurate as hell.

I think the CETME is accurate enough to be lethal inside 200 yards or so. The bolt gun is for the 600 yard shots.

I think a lot of people want a short, handy combat rifle that can do double duty as a sniper rifle. It is difficult to work both ends of the scale like that. Since he said "Shortest OAL without the hassle of SBR" he is looking for something with an 18" bbl that will reach out almost 1/3 of a mile.

I have read nothing but praise for the HK91 and the SA58. But both rifles, in their shorter formats, would take some serious skill to put shots on an 8" target at 600 yards.

I think the CETME is accurate enough to be lethal inside 200 yards or so. The bolt gun is for the 600 yard shots.

I think a lot of people want a short, handy combat rifle that can do double duty as a sniper rifle. It is difficult to work both ends of the scale like that. Since he said "Shortest OAL without the hassle of SBR" he is looking for something with an 18" bbl that will reach out almost 1/3 of a mile.

I have read nothing but praise for the HK91 and the SA58. But both rifles, in their shorter formats, would take some serious skill to put shots on an 8" target at 600 yards.

Not true with the HK, they only make one barrel length for it so you're stuck. The SA58 though has multiple barrel lengths and with a good 16.5" fluted barrel that sort of accuracy is easy peasy.

I would suggest the DSA SA58 as a good start. Accurate and reliable as hell. Yes, shorter barrels DO have an effect on long range accuracy. It can be mitigated however.
DSA... years back I had one on order. I was told 6 months. After waiting 10, I got my money back. Still... they are sweet guns with a solid reputation.

Forum List

Back