Beer

Getting ready to have one of these with some enchiladas....mmm..

sidecar-bottlepint1.png

A "Favorite Beer" is a somewhat nebulous term. My favorite, migrates with the season: yes, beer is seasonal, the heavier the better to fend off a chill winter day, crisp and cool to offset the baking Texas summer sun. As many posters have noted, the big commercial brewers here in the States seem to have forgotten that simple fact and churn out watered down rice and corn swill by the tanker load.

Thank God for craft brewers!

It being summertime here on the Katy Prairie, I get to enjoy a little gem of a Pilsner I discovered several years ago while out at COTA in Austin. Now, normally I avoid Austin, Texas' version of the land of fruits and nuts, like the plague, save for the sports car & F1 races at COTA and now, Live Oak Brewery.

Doing the pub crawl in one of the many back road backyard bars that cater to the local beer-snobs and their overly-hopped IPA's that were all in vogue at the time, I had had my fill of them, good as they are, when I noticed scrawled on the chalkboard: "Live Oak Pilz while it lasts". Why not?

Well worth it and probably my favorite Pilsner ever since. I can now get it, in cans, unfortunately, here on the KP, it for years was only available on tap and only in the Austin area. Rich golden color, the right amount of hops, not too heavy head and crisp on the tongue.
3f3bc267fda6a4b25b407ab1d4bf8cf9_640x640.jpg

Their Big Bark Amber Lager and Oktoberfest are also well worth trying if you can get them. They also offer a Polish type called Grodziskie, after the once famous Polish type made in Grodzisk, that I hope is still available when I go to COTA for the WEC in September.
Home

Pudweiser products generally suck.

Most large scale domestic "beer" producing companies are selling swill. It's potable. Otherwise not worth drinking even when it's free unless you just happen to be thirsty.

First thread Tommy ever started that wasn't a fucking train wreck. Well done dipshit.

Absolutely beer is seasonal.
In the cold months I gravitate to higher alc. and heavier beers like stouts, red ambers, marzen etc.
Warm months I drink IPAs and hoppy pale ales...in the heat of summer wheats and pils.

I have been enjoying this one lately.......

founders-pc-pils.png

I do like a good wheat beer if I am sitting around outside during the summer. The others I listed are more for when you are doing something, like a game of can jam or cornhole.

LOL....

WHAT???

This. Tsk Tsk, mind in the gutter. :eusa_dance:

cornhole-game.jpg

LOL...

OK... yes my mind was definitely gutter dwelling.

Domestic Pilsners pretty much suck, but for summer outdoor shit like fishing, BBQ'ing, and that sort of thing I'll pound Miller Lite all day long. It has just enough alcohol to maintain a buzz, and since it's mostly water you stay hydrated. If I'm drinking to enjoy the beverage the last thing I will touch is a mass manufactured Pudweiser product.

I do like a good wheat beer if I am sitting around outside during the summer. The others I listed are more for when you are doing something, like a game of can jam or cornhole.

LOL....

WHAT???

This. Tsk Tsk, mind in the gutter. :eusa_dance:

cornhole-game.jpg

LOL...

OK... yes my mind was definitely gutter dwelling.

Domestic Pilsners pretty much suck, but for summer outdoor shit like fishing, BBQ'ing, and that sort of thing I'll pound Miller Lite all day long. It has just enough alcohol to maintain a buzz, and since it's mostly water you stay hydrated. If I'm drinking to enjoy the beverage the last thing I will touch is a mass manufactured Pudweiser product.

If I go Miller I always go with the High Life, aka the "champagne of beers"

miller-high-life-lady-in-red.jpg

So how do Coors and Bud achieve such dominance when there are real quality beers out there ?
Your question has to do with marketing and even politics.
You mention two brands and cannot account for their popularity. It cannot be because of taste, you suggest, because there are better American beers available. Hard right Republicans will drink Coors because, it discriminated against Mexican-Americans in hiring. Gays also boycotted Coors because of discrimination. In 1977 the company hired scabs during strike and a decade later these scabs were permitted to ban the union. The Coors family have poured millions of dollars into Republican causes and they helped fount the right-wing Heritage Foundation in 1973. Chairman Pere Coors ran unsuccessfully for the United States Senate from Colorado in 2004 on, what else?, the Republican ticket. It is believed they supported what one Republican called the death squads in Nicaragua, "the moral equivalent of our Founding Fathers." It has been a truly nasty company that makes fizzy water for beer but ticks all the boxes for Republicans.

Europeans would not consider American Budweiser of any description to be beer as it is made with rice instead of barley. Americans drink it because it is cheap, clean, plentiful, and well-marketed.

So how do Coors and Bud achieve such dominance when there are real quality beers out there ?
You mention two brands and cannot account for their popularity. It cannot be because of taste, you suggest, because there are better American beers available. Hard right Republicans will drink Coors because, it discriminated against Mexican-Americans in hiring. Gays also boycotted Coors because of discrimination. In 1977 the company hired scabs during strike and a decade later these scabs were permitted to ban the union. The Coors family have poured millions of dollars into Republican causes and they helped fount the right-wing Heritage Foundation in 1973. Chairman Pere Coors ran unsuccessfully for the United States Senate from Colorado in 2004 on, what else?, the Republican ticket. It is believed they supported what one Republican called the death squads in Nicaragua, "the moral equivalent of our Founding Fathers." It has been a truly nasty company that makes fizzy water for beer but ticks all the boxes for Republicans.

Europeans would not consider American Budweiser of any description to be beer as it is made with rice instead of barley. Americans drink it because it is cheap, clean, plentiful, and well-marketed.

hey dipshit, can you attempt to keep politics out of a thread on freaking beer?
Are you even capable of that?

And again.........

DZn2Qhd.jpg

Last edited:
What the hell is a slab of beer?

BTW, brew your own and you'll never drink commercial again.

Looks like I'll be drinking Coors again soon. Anything that irritates a bed wetting leftist parasite is a worthy cause.

Evidently not.

Eloy is by definition an internet troll.
He goes from thread to thread and takes an anti-approach to whatever the thread us about.
A troll.
And the best thing to do with a troll is to expose them and then ignore them.

Forum List

Back