Baseball Out of Control

Compost

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2015
This was inevitable. A game lost because someone got too "rough" playing the game. Will baseball become like football- all flags and delays, and don't touch?

Toronto Blue Jays manager John Gibbons sounded off on Tuesday after a controversial new rule in baseball may have cost his team a win.

A routine ground ball was hit to third. The Rays' third baseman threw to second for one out and the second baseman turned for the double play but missed the throw for a second out. A runner scored and it appeared that the Blue Jays had tied the game. But in our newly created era of rules and regulations, the Chase Utley Rule went into effect and the officials deemed the runner sliding into second base interfered with the second baseman for the Rays.

Gibbons shared his frustration with reporters after the game.

“Are we trying to turn the game into a joke?” he asked reporters. “I mean, really. That was flat out embarrassing. That cost us an opportunity to win a Major League game. Was that the intent? Well, that’s probably the results you’re going to get. I was talking to some guys in Spring Training, said wait until it happens when it ends a game, a Major League game. It truly is an embarrassment.”

"Guess we'll come out wearing dresses tomorrow," Gibbons said.

Justin Holcomb - Blue Jays Manager: "I Guess We'll All Come Out Wearing Dresses Tomorrow"

This was inevitable. A game lost because someone got too "rough" playing the game. Will baseball become like football- all flags and delays, and don't touch?

Toronto Blue Jays manager John Gibbons sounded off on Tuesday after a controversial new rule in baseball may have cost his team a win.

A routine ground ball was hit to third. The Rays' third baseman threw to second for one out and the second baseman turned for the double play but missed the throw for a second out. A runner scored and it appeared that the Blue Jays had tied the game. But in our newly created era of rules and regulations, the Chase Utley Rule went into effect and the officials deemed the runner sliding into second base interfered with the second baseman for the Rays.

Gibbons shared his frustration with reporters after the game.

“Are we trying to turn the game into a joke?” he asked reporters. “I mean, really. That was flat out embarrassing. That cost us an opportunity to win a Major League game. Was that the intent? Well, that’s probably the results you’re going to get. I was talking to some guys in Spring Training, said wait until it happens when it ends a game, a Major League game. It truly is an embarrassment.”

"Guess we'll come out wearing dresses tomorrow," Gibbons said.

Justin Holcomb - Blue Jays Manager: "I Guess We'll All Come Out Wearing Dresses Tomorrow"

Good grief... That's part of the game

So what now, I would get T'd up for plowing over the catcher at the plate?

-Geaux

I do not want to see a bunch of dudes sliding around in dresses, but Utley is a fucking asshole who thinks he's Ty Cobb who caused this with outright assholery.

There's tough, but clean, play and there's dirty shit. It's too bad players like Utley push things too far. It sucks, I agree, but I'm not surprised to see it.

I seen the play. It was a good call by the ump.
Baseball is not football.
The sliding base runner clearly grabbed at the leg of the 2nd baseman.
Players sliding out of the basepath to knock down fielding players is ridiculous.

Players sliding out of the basepath to knock down fielding players is ridiculous.
Maybe so. Personally, I will miss the beautiful sight of a 2nd baseman or SS making a throw while air born...crybabies will make that just a memory.

Maybe so. Personally, I will miss the beautiful sight of a 2nd baseman or SS making a throw while air born...crybabies will make that just a memory.
Ya sorta like the Cincinnati Reds baseball organization. Just a memory.

The situation at second base had become ridiculous.

The rule states that the second baseman must touch the base with the ball in order to get a force-out. Then the umpires saw second basemen getting hurt by sliding players, so they decided to cut them a little slack, and make the out call if the second baseman was close to the base. So the players started sliding at the second baseman wherever he happened to be, even if he was nowhere near the base.

Jesus Christ! The purpose of the slide is to get to the base as quickly as possible without going past it; it is NOT to physically assault the defensive player so that he will fuck up the throw to first.

Pirate second baseman "Gung Ho" had his knee and leg destroyed last year by a runner coming in and trying to break up the double play. It is yet to be seen whether his career is ruined by this felonious play - which was completely "legal" at the time. That ain't baseball. I'm not sure what it is, but it ain't baseball.

Something had to be done, and the rules committee tried to do something to minimize the danger to players trying to make a simple, routine play. Same thing was done at home plate where catchers were blocking the plate when they didn't have the ball.

Saying that these innovations somehow ruin the game is asinine.

The situation at second base had become ridiculous.

The rule states that the second baseman must touch the base with the ball in order to get a force-out. Then the umpires saw second basemen getting hurt by sliding players, so they decided to cut them a little slack, and make the out call if the second baseman was close to the base. So the players started sliding at the second baseman wherever he happened to be, even if he was nowhere near the base.

Jesus Christ! The purpose of the slide is to get to the base as quickly as possible without going past it; it is NOT to physically assault the defensive player so that he will fuck up the throw to first.

Pirate second baseman "Gung Ho" had his knee and leg destroyed last year by a runner coming in and trying to break up the double play. It is yet to be seen whether his career is ruined by this felonious play - which was completely "legal" at the time. That ain't baseball. I'm not sure what it is, but it ain't baseball.

Something had to be done, and the rules committee tried to do something to minimize the danger to players trying to make a simple, routine play. Same thing was done at home plate where catchers were blocking the plate when they didn't have the ball.

Saying that these innovations somehow ruin the game is asinine.
Like most problems, the "solution" created more problems. That it isn't part of the game to slide into a guy and bust his knee is obvious. To suggest that a player not slide into the bag where the infielder is standing to make the play, and to try to distract the fielder to keep it to one out rather than two- that that isn't part of the game- is what is asinine.

Last edited:
Ya sorta like the Cincinnati Reds baseball organization. Just a memory.

yep it sure has become like the NFL where the quarterback has a skirt on.those good old pete rose days are over with.

Baseball has indeed gotten so redicules same as football now.cant believe there are people here STILL whining over what Utley did. Cal Ripken "a SHORTSOP HIMSELF",said while he was doing the telecast of the game last year at the time,HE he saw nothing wrong with Utleys slide,jesus christ people stop whining about Utley already.:rolleyes::uhoh3: a former shortstop saying he saw nothing wrong with it,ends this whining.Utley did nothing wrong,end of story.PERIOD.

Back in the days of pete rose,that was a regular routine thing that went on every day.To say Utley is like Ty Cobb is just plain Asinine.Had that player not been injured,nobody would be whining about what Utley did last year.:rolleyes:

Baseball indeed has gotten to be just like the NFL with the quarterback wearing a skirt.

First they come out and say they cant plow over the catcher anymore-"even though it was always the CATCHERS decision he decided to make to block the plate.:uhoh3:" NOW because someone landed wrong and got hurt,you cant slide into the shortstop or second baseman now? jesus christ.this day and age,things are so fucked up its unreal.

I sure am grateful that I am an old dude who got to see the good old days of the Cincinatti Reds days from the 70's. they can take away the joy of the game from me now but they cant take my memories away from me.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back