Baseball Artifact!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I love baseball.....not only is it replete with facts and statistics.....but in every game, one sees something never seen before.

1. In last night's demolishing of the Houston Astros.....by the Yankees, our fav team in the Holy City of New York, I was witness to an ERA I have never.....never!....seen before.

2. 'In baseball statistics,earned run average(ERA) is the mean of earned runs given up by a pitcher per nine innings pitched (i.e. the traditional length of a game). It is determined by dividing the number of earned runs allowed by the number of innings pitched and multiplying by nine.'
Earned run average - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earned_run_average
Wikipedia

a. The "number of innings pitched" is described by the number of outs accounted for during the inning.

3. So........last night, Astro starter Collin McHugh....their #2 starting pitcher....began against our holy warriors.....last year, McHugh had a 3.89 ERA.

That means he gave up an average of less than 4 earned runs per game.
a. Last year, 2015, the Astros entire pitching staff had an ERA of 3.57

b. 2015, the Yankees (peace by on them) had an ERA of 4.05

4. Wanna guess McHugh's current ERA?

Ready?

135......135!!!!!

5.OK, OK....it's one game, and it's a statistical abberation....but....it is soooooo funny!

6. He gave up 5 runs in the first inning before being pulled....pulled, with one out on the scoreboard. So...at that rate, he would give up 15 runs in 3 outs....or 135 runs in 9 innings!!!!

Love this game!

BTW...the result of last night's jihad, our noble shahidis won 16-6!!!!

Last edited:
I enjoyed the Dodgers' combined 25 to 0 runs over the Padres this week in three straight shut outs.

Love baseball.

Pirates swept the "presumptive division champion" Cardinals in a three-game series. It's only three games, but...

On the ERA subject, I remember some years back when John Smoltz was converted from a starter to "closer" for the Braves. Early in the year he had a horrible outing against the Mets (I think they stole the signals because it looked like they knew what was coming on every pitch), and everyone was wondering whether it had been a mistake to shift him to the bullpen.

I don't think he gave up another run for a couple of months. His ERA went from twenty-something to two-something by the end of the season. But pitching one inning at a time, it takes forever to compensate for a bad outing.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3260-1376716493-12.gif

Lets Go Bucs!

Pirates swept the "presumptive division champion" Cardinals in a three-game series. It's only three games, but...

On the ERA subject, I remember some years back when John Smoltz was converted from a starter to "closer" for the Braves. Early in the year he had a horrible outing against the Mets (I think they stole the signals because it looked like they knew what was coming on every pitch), and everyone was wondering whether it had been a mistake to shift him to the bullpen.

I don't think he gave up another run for a couple of months. His ERA went from twenty-something to two-something by the end of the season. But pitching one inning at a time, it takes forever to compensate for a bad outing.

McHugh's not a bad pitcher...but when I saw the 135 ERA.....oh, man.....soooo funny.

If there was a 'Mendoza Line' for pitching.....

Now you're gonna get it!!!

Greatest baseball francise evahhhhh!
Criteria:
  • 20 points for a World Series title. Pre-1903 titles are not counted.
  • 15 points for a league pennant.
  • 6 points for a playoff series win (e.g. Division Series or Wild Card Game).
  • 4 points for a division title.
  • 3 points for a regular season winning percentage of .556 or higher, -3 points for a percentage of .444 or lower.
  • 1 point for a winning season, -1 point for a losing season.
  • Consecutive winning regular seasons are worth 2 points starting with the second, 3 points for the third, 4 points for the fourth, and so on. The counter is reset after any non-winning season. So if a team has three winning seasons in a row, they get a total of 5 points.
  • A multiplier is included, which is based on a franchise’s all-time regular-season winning percentage.
Here we go with this year’s updated rankings. Previous year ranks are in parentheses.

The Top 10
#1. New York Yankees (#1) — 23.45 avg.

#2. San Francisco Giants (#2) — 8.67 avg.

#3. Boston Red Sox (#3) — 7.75 avg.
All-Time MLB Franchise Rankings, 2015 Edition | grayflannelsuit.net

Baseball is alright and I go to a few Yankee games a year, it's not a Sport though.

I love baseball.....not only is it replete with facts and statistics.....but in every game, one sees something never seen before.

1. In last night's demolishing of the Houston Astros.....by the Yankees, our fav team in the Holy City of New York, I was witness to an ERA I have never.....never!....seen before.

2. 'In baseball statistics,earned run average(ERA) is the mean of earned runs given up by a pitcher per nine innings pitched (i.e. the traditional length of a game). It is determined by dividing the number of earned runs allowed by the number of innings pitched and multiplying by nine.'
Earned run average - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earned_run_average
Wikipedia

a. The "number of innings pitched" is described by the number of outs accounted for during the inning.

3. So........last night, Astro starter Collin McHugh....their #2 starting pitcher....began against our holy warriors.....last year, McHugh had a 3.89 ERA.

That means he gave up an average of less than 4 earned runs per game.
a. Last year, 2015, the Astros entire pitching staff had an ERA of 3.57

b. 2015, the Yankees (peace by on them) had an ERA of 4.05

4. Wanna guess McHugh's current ERA?

Ready?

135......135!!!!!

5.OK, OK....it's one game, and it's a statistical abberation....but....it is soooooo funny!

6. He gave up 5 runs in the first inning before being pulled....pulled, with one out on the scoreboard. So...at that rate, he would give up 15 runs in 3 outs....or 135 runs in 9 innings!!!!

Love this game!

BTW...the result of last night's jihad, our noble shahidis won 16-6!!!!

It was a bad night for the Good Guys, a bad series. They'll get back on track and by seasons end they'll be in the play offs, and the Yankee's wont be.
Sorry.

Forum List

Back