Baseball needs a hard salary cap

HA HA HA.This is about the dumbest post I've seen this whole year.
Ohtani has only had an ERA under 3.00 ONCE in his career. He has never been a 20 game winner - his highest season wins was 15, and he LOST 9 games that year.

His batting average is mediocre > .274 (840th among all hitters) and WAAY below the top hitters.

There are 780 players in MLB. I wouldn't pay this guy one dime more than 100 other players in MLB.
Now, one thing critical to keep in mind is the on-base percentage of hitters. Ohtani was second in the league in OBP in 2023. Over 40% of the time that he comes up to the plate he is either going to walk or hit.

I suspect that number will go up in 2024 and beyond. So that makes him a massive threat…couple that with an LA Dodgers team that already has firepower like betts and freeman and u have a World Series contender for years to come.

Lighten up a little bit 😂

Nobody here is an analyst on baseball tonight.

Anyway Ohtani batted over 300 last year and had 40 home runs. He probably would’ve had over 120 RBIs if he had a better team around him. You’re talking about his career batting average. Let’s give it a few years and surely that number will climb up.

There is nobody in major league baseball today who can pitch and hit. So if you have even one guy who can give you 15 wins a year with an ERA around three all the meanwhile, hitting around 300 with 40 home runs in 120 RBIs, yeah that’s pretty darn good.
I'll go along with "hitting around 300 with 40 home runs" being as you say"pretty darn good" What I do not accept is $700 Million in conjunction with "pretty darn good."

Now if Ted Williams (.344), Stan Musial (.331), Babe Ruth (.342), or Lou Gehrig (.340) (all top ranked power hitters too) could be reincarnated and suited up to play, I would definitely pay them a very handsome salary, but even in their case, it wouldn't be $700 Million, and they are all a bunch of notches above Ohtani, whose next 10 years is unproven.

I'll go along with "hitting around 300 with 40 home runs" being as you say"pretty darn good" What I do not accept is $700 Million in conjunction with "pretty darn good."

Now if Ted Williams (.344), Stan Musial (.331), Babe Ruth (.342), or Lou Gehrig (.340) (all top ranked power hitters too) could be reincarnated and suited up to play, I would definitely pay them a very handsome salary, but even in their case, it wouldn't be $700 Million, and they are all a bunch of notches above Ohtani, whose next 10 years is unproven.
That’s a fair point. And the keyword is the next 10 years is unproven. There’s plenty of players who hit very well into their late 30s. At this point Ohtani has potential to be in a category of the players you mentioned above. But he’s not there yet. Only time will tell.

Also, with exception to Babe Ruth and for a few years of his career , none of the above were pitchers.

And with the LA Dodgers, Ohtani has a great team around and with my boost his confidence when he pitches. So, even if he gets 15 wins as a pitcher with an ERA below three that makes a huge difference. Every game counts, especially in a tight playoff race, but I suspect he will get more wins with a better team around him.

He’s improved his batting average in each of the last three years ..Ohtani did not play in over 25 games last year and yet he still hit 40+ home runs. So he could be a 60 homer guy in a full season batting.

Now, one thing critical to keep in mind is the on-base percentage of hitters. Ohtani was second in the league in OBP in 2023. Over 40% of the time that he comes up to the plate he is either going to walk or hit.

I suspect that number will go up in 2024 and beyond. So that makes him a massive threat…couple that with an LA Dodgers team that already has firepower like betts and freeman and u have a World Series contender for years to come.
It looks like Ohtani had a good year in 2023. that's nice. But looking at all his years, he has had worse years after having a good year, and his numbers are like a rollarcoaster. Unlike the 4 players I mentioned, whose numbers were ALWAYS good, Ohtani's OBP dropped in 2019, and again in 2020. Got good again in 2021, dropped again in 2022.

Based on this record of inconsistency, I DON'T suspect his numbers will go up.

Just to provide some perspective here, the OBP you referred to for Ohtani (2023) was .412. Babe Ruth's highest (who never got paid more than small fraction of $700 Million), was .545, and he topped ,500 in OBP 5 times.

Musial's top OBP was .450. Williams' was .553, and Gehrig's was .478.

Also, the same year that Williams had a .553 OBP, his batting average was .406. Gehrig hit over .373 three times, and has held the American league record for most RBIs in a season (185) for 93 years now.

You think Ohtani should be paid more than these baseball legends ? Pheeew!

That’s a fair point. And the keyword is the next 10 years is unproven. There’s plenty of players who hit very well into their late 30s. At this point Ohtani has potential to be in a category of the players you mentioned above. But he’s not there yet. Only time will tell.

Also, with exception to Babe Ruth and for a few years of his career , none of the above were pitchers.

And with the LA Dodgers, Ohtani has a great team around and with my boost his confidence when he pitches. So, even if he gets 15 wins as a pitcher with an ERA below three that makes a huge difference. Every game counts, especially in a tight playoff race, but I suspect he will get more wins with a better team around him.

He’s improved his batting average in each of the last three years ..Ohtani did not play in over 25 games last year and yet he still hit 40+ home runs. So he could be a 60 homer guy in a full season batting.
He did have a very good home run average in 2023.

I dont doubt that he may turn out to be one of the all time greatest, but so far that is just a hope. His 6 year record is topsy turvy, he has topped 40 homers just twice in 6 years , and just barely topped .300 once, In comparison to the players I noted above, he is a drop in the bucket.

1702865152289.png

1702865413439.png

1702865240010.png
1702865309129.png

Attachments

• 1702865202707.png
    1702865202707.png
    14 KB · Views: 5
  • 1702865271968.png
    1702865271968.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 4

potential........time..............if............suspect...........could.......... 😐

How about these guys ? Ohtani gets paid much more than them ?

1702865820463.png

1702865864607.png

1702865902229.png

1702865949209.png

1702865983079.png

1702866078089.png

This year Ohtani's ERA was 3.14. Kershaw's was 2.46.

Could you imagine Kershaw and Ohtani sitting in the same dugout, with Kershaw, one of the greatest pitchers of all time, proven after 16 years, and he's getting 28% of what Ohtani gets. Wow!

Last edited:
They screwed baseball up with all of these new rules.

The traditional spirit of the game is gone.

And I don't care for this new generation of fans either.

If I wanna watch a baseball game now, I just go down to the Babe Ruth League and watch the kids play.

Really should start umpiring again, now that I have my health back.

This guy signed for $700 million on a 10 year contract.

:thankusmile: :thup: The understatement of the century,fans should boycott mlb baseball small market teams can’t compete with the big market teams anymore,that’s why I don’t understand why people even bother going to baseball games anymore.

Forum List

Back