Baseball needs a hard salary cap

Higher ticket and concession prices will continue until fans wake-up.
I always feel like saying beam me up Scotty,there is no intelligent life forms on this planet.too many stupid idiot sports fans will keep packing the stadiums and not boycott them as I did over 20 years ago.

This guy signed for $700 million on a 10 year contract.

The players are dead set against having one, and the owners are content with the luxury tax scheme currently in place. You posting on some internet message board that 99.99% of people have never heard of isn't going to magically implement one.

The players are dead set against having one, and the owners are content with the luxury tax scheme currently in place. You posting on some internet message board that 99.99% of people have never heard of isn't going to magically implement one.
If the players were smart, or they they cared about more than their bank accounts (like if their team might win games), they might support a salary cap.

By the Dodgers foolishly giving $700 million to a .274 lifetime hitter, how many .300+ hitters could have been bought with that money ? How many .330 or .340 hitters ? How many 2.00 ERA pitchers could have been signed ?
Baseball is in the hands of idiots.

Hey ... stupid people ... just one Dodgers/Yankees World Series ... that's all MLB needs ... [ka'ching] ... Ohtani pays for himself, selling Dodger Blue ...

The Dodgers wouldn't be paying $700M if they didn't think they'd be getting billions upon billions themselves ... that's the cable bill you're paying ... just keep paying ... shit for programming but you'll get your Dodger Blue everyday ...
won't happen if the fans stop watching and buying tickets.

won't happen if the fans stop watching and buying tickets.

Are they? ...

960x0.jpg

You honestly think a single player's contract will chase away 70,000,000 people? ... maybe MLB wants just you gone ...

The NFL remains the most popular professional sport because of revenue sharing and a salary cap. There is parity in the league unlike in other professional sports.

Ohtani a once in a generation baseball player, probably the greatest Babe Ruth. He should be the highest paid athlete in all sports. Mahomes has a $500 million contract with the Chiefs but he’s not a two-way player.

It’s the fans who pay for the salaries. They’re the ones willingly paying high prices for tickets.

Do you want to put a salary limit on ceos of businesses in America?

Ohtani is a once in a lifetime player so he should get that kind of once in a lifetime contract. I don’t think other baseball players will get a similar contract unless they can be a world-class pitcher and hit her at the same time.
What is so "once in a generation" about guy with only a .274 lifetime batting average ? In MLB history, 840 hitters have had a higher lifetime batting average than that.

And why shoud Ohtani be the highest paid player ? So he both pitches and bats. Big deal. Come back and tells us about it when his stats are better than any other player in either category.
In 2023 pitching, he's not even in the top 10 in ERA.

Last edited:
Nobody forces MLB owners to give ten year cotracts to a “Puljos” but they fight to outbid the others? Crazy. Doesn’t seem to pay off much the last 10-20 years? Owners take the risk. It is their money at risk. The Crazy Brit up above wants to ”Cap the owners”? Uh…how do you do that?

Maybe this time…….? they say….its digfferent. He did pitch & hit prior to injury.

if the top is $70 million? A Washed up $35million dollar pitcher is going to want $55million++++. For 30 six inning games at the most? ~200 innings? Wow!

Last edited:
What is so "once in a generation" about guy with only a .274 lifetime batting average ? In MLB history, 840 hitters have had a higher lifetime batting average than that.

And why shoud Ohtani be the highest paid player ? So he both pitches and bats. Big deal. Come back and tells us about it when his stats are better than any other player in either category.
In 2023 pitching, he's not even in the top 10 in ERA.
The points that you left Winger bring up are valid. And I don’t think mega contracts are necessary, but I suppose it is the market that dictates it, the television deals + the high price of tickets that fans willingly pay.

In response, Ohtani is a two-time MVP. If he comes back strong from his Tommy John surgery He has the potential to be a 20 game winner in multiple seasons. Even if he can keep his ERA below 3.5 would be a good deal I think…. Especially with the offense the LA Dodgers put up he will get more wins on that team compared to the LA Angels.

He’s the only player in baseball right now who is super effective as a hitter and a pitcher. I don’t agree with mega contracts, but if there’s anybody who should get the most money in baseball, it’s Ohtani because of his two-way talent. And because he is a special player I don’t think other players are going to have the ability to argue for a contract close to his.

Even if Ohtani only starts about 20 or 25 games, but wins 15 games with an ERA below three, holding his opponents to a batting average of under 200 that he has in the last three seasons, or at least around 200 that’s very effective.

I suspect with a team like the LA Dodgers with all of their talent Ohtani could have over 120 RBIs. He batted over 300 last year with 40 home runs.

I think it’s clearly fair to say if the National League did not have a designated hitter, the Ohtani contract would make more sense.

I think it’s clearly fair to say if the National League did not have a designated hitter, the Ohtani contract would make more sense.

Huh? W/O DH the Dodgers would have to play him in the field on non-pitching days? Now he can take a AB every 30 minutes on non-pitching days?

Im not certain he wouldnt hit DH on his pitching days? why not? If he’s $70million and the greatest ever? Do you really not want to use up his prime years while you got him?

Huh? W/O DH the Dodgers would have to play him in the field on non-pitching days? Now he can take a AB every 30 minutes on non-pitching days?

Im not certain he wouldnt hit DH on his pitching days? why not? If he’s $70million and the greatest ever? Do you really not want to use up his prime years while you got him?
That’s a point I totally forgot about.

With his injuries, it makes sense to use him as a DH.

The points that you left Winger bring up are valid. And I don’t think mega contracts are necessary, but I suppose it is the market that dictates it, the television deals + the high price of tickets that fans willingly pay.

In response, Ohtani is a two-time MVP. If he comes back strong from his Tommy John surgery He has the potential to be a 20 game winner in multiple seasons. Even if he can keep his ERA below 3.5 would be a good deal I think…. Especially with the offense the LA Dodgers put up he will get more wins on that team compared to the LA Angels.

He’s the only player in baseball right now who is super effective as a hitter and a pitcher. I don’t agree with mega contracts, but if there’s anybody who should get the most money in baseball, it’s Ohtani because of his two-way talent. And because he is a special player I don’t think other players are going to have the ability to argue for a contract close to his.

Even if Ohtani only starts about 20 or 25 games, but wins 15 games with an ERA below three, holding his opponents to a batting average of under 200 that he has in the last three seasons, or at least around 200 that’s very effective.

I suspect with a team like the LA Dodgers with all of their talent Ohtani could have over 120 RBIs. He batted over 300 last year with 40 home runs.
HA HA HA.This is about the dumbest post I've seen this whole year.
Ohtani has only had an ERA under 3.00 ONCE in his career. He has never been a 20 game winner - his highest season wins was 15, and he LOST 9 games that year.

His batting average is mediocre > .274 (840th among all hitters) and WAAY below the top hitters.

There are 780 players in MLB. I wouldn't pay this guy one dime more than 100 other players in MLB.

HA HA HA.This is about the dumbest post I've seen this whole year.
Ohtani has only had an ERA under 3.00 ONCE in his career. He has never been a 20 game winner - his highest season wins was 15, and he LOST 9 games that year.

His batting average is mediocre > .274 (840th among all hitters) and WAAY below the top hitters.

I wouldn't pay this guy one dime more than 100 other players in MLB.
Lighten up a little bit 😂

Nobody here is an analyst on baseball tonight.

Anyway Ohtani batted over 300 last year and had 40 home runs. He probably would’ve had over 120 RBIs if he had a better team around him. You’re talking about his career batting average. Let’s give it a few years and surely that number will climb up.

There is nobody in major league baseball today who can pitch and hit. So if you have even one guy who can give you 15 wins a year with an ERA around three all the meanwhile, hitting around 300 with 40 home runs in 120 RBIs, yeah that’s pretty darn good.

Forum List

Back