Ban Smoking in Public Housing?

Interesting issue.

Cigarette smoke travels.......it penetrates porous surfaces. It makes the immediate environment unhealthy and unpleasant. It costs money to rid a space of the odor and discoloration ( ask Paul Ryan ). It's not a bad idea to limit tobacco use in publicly subsidized housing for these reasons.

I believe that any property owner can designate his or her property as non smoking. This isn't going to be legally challenged.

I smoke the occasion a cigar........outside. I'd never want to pollute the inside of my home with the smoke.

Where will the nutters come down on this one. On one hand....they want to make anyone who accepts any public assistance miserable......but they supposedly can't stand it when people are told what to do in their own homes.

End game for the anti-smoking gestapo is a complete alcohol prohibition like ban. No one'd support that all at once though so they're doing it a bit at a time. Like the perverbial frog in a pot of slowly boiling water. Raise the temp too quickly it jumps out, but if you do it gradually giving it time to acclimate it'll stay put and boil to death (not really though I checked hehe.)

What would a perfect world regarding cigarette smoking look like?

Way they do it here is sensible and fair. Apartments are divided into 4 sections with a common area seperating them. 2 of the sections are for smokers, 2 for non-smokers. Can smoke on your balcony or outside in any, but only inside in the ones designated for smokers. Can't smoke in the pool area (local ordinance,) clubhouse (apt rules,) of anywhere inside in the common areas (hallways and the seperating areas.

Works fine.

Is there an added fee that smokers need to pay? There usually is.

Interesting issue.

Cigarette smoke travels.......it penetrates porous surfaces. It makes the immediate environment unhealthy and unpleasant. It costs money to rid a space of the odor and discoloration ( ask Paul Ryan ). It's not a bad idea to limit tobacco use in publicly subsidized housing for these reasons.

I believe that any property owner can designate his or her property as non smoking. This isn't going to be legally challenged.

I smoke the occasion a cigar........outside. I'd never want to pollute the inside of my home with the smoke.

Where will the nutters come down on this one. On one hand....they want to make anyone who accepts any public assistance miserable......but they supposedly can't stand it when people are told what to do in their own homes.
And your cigar smoke bothers people outside. Who is the nutter?

Huh?
It was a joke. You know? Humor. Should I have included a smiley face to help you?

That's as stupid as the original comment.

Interesting issue.

End game for the anti-smoking gestapo is a complete alcohol prohibition like ban. No one'd support that all at once though so they're doing it a bit at a time. Like the perverbial frog in a pot of slowly boiling water. Raise the temp too quickly it jumps out, but if you do it gradually giving it time to acclimate it'll stay put and boil to death (not really though I checked hehe.)

Way they do it here is sensible and fair. Apartments are divided into 4 sections with a common area seperating them. 2 of the sections are for smokers, 2 for non-smokers. Can smoke on your balcony or outside in any, but only inside in the ones designated for smokers. Can't smoke in the pool area (local ordinance,) clubhouse (apt rules,) of anywhere inside in the common areas (hallways and the seperating areas.

Works fine.

Don't recall one, but moved in 16 years ago too so...Remember a $100 security deposit I long ago accepted I'm never getting back (looks at the walls with 16 years of dead squished bugs on them hehe)

As a smoker, we're gonna get militant pretty soon if all these anti-smoking laws keep getting passed. We have matches and lighters and know how to use them :)

as a non-smoker who never ever even considered smoking, you see I knew I was already cool when I was little ...I knew I didn't need some cigaret hanging out of my mouth thinking it was making me look cool ... after all that's the only reason anybody ever started smoking was their vanity .

my best friend who I've known sense we were in the first grade ... that's when he started smoking way back then ... he tried to get me to smoke too ... I told him back then I didn't like the smell or even the thought of smoking and I still don't ... fast forward .... we are now in out 60"s .... the commercial on TV where you see this woman who has to breath through her neck, thats my buddy ... the commercial where you see this guy take out his teeth because of his smoking , thats my buddy ... then you see this guy putting on a artificial leg, he tells you its because of his smoking, that's my buddy ... in the entire time I've known him he has had 9 heart attacks and still lived ... he has had 5 veins bypass to his heart .... he has had 18 inches of his colin removed ... he is constantly getting colds which in his condition now isn't a good thing ... he had one lung removed because of his smoking and yes he still smokes ...

my point in saying this is I believe that everybody has a right to do to their body what ever they want to, its their body... when it starts hurting the people around them its time for something to be done... by you thinking you're not hurting people around you that you're rights are being taken away from you to smoke, you better open up your eyes and mind and look around you ....

you see my buddy thinks the same way you do... look at what it has got him.... he lost his home, because of all of the medical expenses he has ... which by the way caused him to lose his job... because he could no longer do the job any more .... he's now on SSDI... on that money it pays for his apartment, it pays for his co-pay's, and what left is the money he has for food... you may think that you're doing great in your life, thats fine ... you might be, so was my buddy making great money... I look at what smoking has done for him... turned him into the worst thing that he would never want to be ... a burden on society ... oh yeah smoking is the best thing you can do... right !!!!!!

Last edited:
Interesting issue.

Huh?
It was a joke. You know? Humor. Should I have included a smiley face to help you?

Says the guy with the oh so original clown avi.

As a smoker, we're gonna get militant pretty soon if all these anti-smoking laws keep getting passed. We have matches and lighters and know how to use them :)

as a non-smoker who never ever even considered smoking, you see I knew I was already cool when I was little ...I knew I didn't need some cigaret hanging out of my mouth thinking it was making me look cool ... after all that's the only reason anybody ever started smoking was their vanity .

my best friend who I've known sense we were in the first grade ... that's when he started smoking way back then ... he tried to get me to smoke too ... I told him back then I didn't like the smell or even the thought of smoking and I still don't ... fast forward .... we are now in out 60"s .... the commercial on TV where you see this woman who has to breath through her neck, thats my buddy ... the commercial where you see this guy take out his teeth because of his smoking , thats my buddy ... then you see this guy putting on a artificial leg, he tells you its because of his smoking, that's my buddy ... in the entire time I've known him he has had 9 heart attacks and still lived ... he has had 5 veins bypass to his heart .... he has had 18 inches of his colin removed ... he is constantly getting colds which in his condition now isn't a good thing ... he had one lung removed because of his smoking and yes he still smokes ...

my point in saying this is I believe that everybody has a right to do to their body what ever they want to, its their body... when it starts hurting the people around them its time for something to be done... by you thinking you're not hurting people around you that you're rights are being taken away from you to smoke, you better open up your eyes and mind and look around you ....

you see my buddy thinks the same way you do... look at what it has got him.... he lost his home, because of all of the medical expenses he has ... which by the way caused him to lose his job... because he could no longer do the job any more .... he's now on SSDI on that money it pays for his apartment it pays for his co-pay's and what left is the money he has for food... you may think that you're doing great in your life, thats fine ... you might be, so was my buddy making great money... I look at what smoking has done for him... turned him into the worst thing that he would never want to be ... a burden on society ... oh yeah smoking is the best thing you can do... right !!!!!!

Growing up with both parents smoking in the home I was no doubt addicted to nicotine long before I ever tried one.

Interesting issue.

Works fine.

Don't recall one, but moved in 16 years ago too so...Remember a $100 security deposit I long ago accepted I'm never getting back (looks at the walls with 16 years of dead squished bugs on them hehe)

If they could do something like you have suggested in the public housing in question......and those who smoke pay extra to cover the damages.....then what you suggest seems reasonable.

I'm actually surprised that you are OK with bans in the common areas and the pool area. You initially came off like you wanted total freedom to smoke wherever you are.

Interesting issue.

Huh?

Says the guy with the oh so original clown avi.

Please. You know not of what you speak.

Works fine.

If they could do something like you have suggested in the public housing in question......and those who smoke pay extra to cover the damages.....then what you suggest seems reasonable.

I'm actually surprised that you are OK with bans in the common areas and the pool area. You initially came off like you wanted total freedom to smoke wherever you are.

Oh no, am a courteous smoker. Sort who'd ask "do you mind if I smoke?" I well remember being young and with my Mom in the car when she'd smoke, or my Dad, and how miserable it was. Expect to be able to smoke in my home, on the porch, and out in the fresh air (within reason, not sitting next to people not smoking like but if reasonably by myself,) but not indoors where smokers don't smoke. That's not an unreasonable limitation.

I would assume there are any number of aftermarket filters for apartments and the like for super allergic people that'd work fine for blocking smoke when you share a vent like. But I'd make people go that route before forbidding a neighbor from smoking in their own home. But then, I always assume the burden where something someone else is doing bugs me before telling them about it. If I have to upwind to avoid a stinky cigar, or hum happy thoughts when someone 2 doors down who shall remain nameless plays country Christian type music, I'll do those things before voicing my concerns or annoyances. I'm the dream neighbor. :)

Interesting issue.

Wouldn't a simpler solution be to provide one of those "smokeless ashtrays" to each apartment?

On one side you do have government providing housing, which means as the "landlord" they can impose restrictions like this. But on the other you do have government being the landlord, and to me I would be more comfortable if this was done at the State/Local level than the federal level.

In the end, it smacks of nannyism, and that means I am against it.

Interesting issue.

Wouldn't a simpler solution be to provide one of those "smokeless ashtrays" to each apartment?

On one side you do have government providing housing, which means as the "landlord" they can impose restrictions like this. But on the other you do have government being the landlord, and to me I would be more comfortable if this was done at the State/Local level than the federal level.

With the price of smokes how does one that depends on public housing afford them?

Interesting issue.

With the price of smokes how does one that depends on public housing afford them?

Two words. Black Market. In any poor neighborhood in NYC people know where to get smokes without a tax stamp.

Interesting issue.

who

One who depends on public housing.

Is that any of your business?

Its government housing. It isn't their homes. They can do what they want. Not to mention, when you rent you probably cant smoke in it. I personally agree with it. I would bet half, if not more smoke around their kids.
Secondhand Smoke and Children

Interesting issue.

If only you were consistent on that.

Forum List

Back