Back in the day before video games

I lived by a wooded area surrounding a dilapidated mansion bordering a corn field that magically turned into soybeans the next year and then back to corn. We played army and the corn ears were grenades. I had a tree fort and my dog. I rode my bike without a helmet or knee pads. We would go to the wooded area and find Playboys and empty tubes of glue the older boys discarded . Somethings never change.

My dog was never leashed. We had the run of the neighborhood. Of course we played baseball and football. Our parents would open the door and call us without a phone.

We would take our Dad's shovel and dig forts in field of tall grass and trees. Then walk down to where they were building houses and take boards from the scrap lumber pile. We used the wood to make a roof for the fort and then covered it dirt and leaves to hide it.
Sometimes we would make a small fire inside to keep warn on the cold days, and toast bread and roast marshmallows.
One windy day the tall grass around the fort caught on fire and the flames started spreading fast. In a few minutes we heard the siren of a firetruck heading our way, so we ran into the nearby woods to hide and watch.
The firetruck drove across the field to put out the fire. But it drove exactly where we had dug the fort and the back wheels on one side caved in the roof and the firetruck got stuck. They had to call a tow truck to pull the firetruck wheels out of the hole.
All of us kids got scared because of starting the fire and causing the firetruck to get stuck. So we all ran to our home's and hid inside for the rest of the day. ... :cool:

Last edited:
1614464558284.png

Years ago we went on a trip to the Grand Canyon with our daughter and grandson. We all got out of the car to see the amazing vista while our grandson stayed in the car playing a video game.
My niece takes a taxi to the gym, walks on the treadmill for half an hour, then takes a taxi home.
Well, she did before the China Plague.

Years ago we went on a trip to the Grand Canyon with our daughter and grandson. We all got out of the car to see the amazing vista while our grandson stayed in the car playing a video game.
I'd have taken the kid's video game and tossed it into the bottom of the canyon. .... :cool:
His mom dragged him out of the car but I guess a 13 year old or so kid doesn't appreciate the real world like visual reality. The kid grew up to be an airline pilot.

we played Japs and Americans, and Cowboys and Indians.
All hate crimes now.

We left in the morning, came back for lunch, then were gone all day, traveled miles on our bikes over hill and dale by road, through woods, and were OK so long as we were back in time for dinner.
We went into the blackberry fields to pick blackberries came back with pales full, and got chiggers which needed nail polish to stop the itch....Those were the days..

All hate crimes now.

We left in the morning, came back for lunch, then were gone all day, traveled miles on our bikes over hill and dale by road, through woods, and were OK so long as we were back in time for dinner.
We went into the blackberry fields to pick blackberries came back with pales full, and got chiggers which needed nail polish to stop the itch....Those were the days..
I always wondered how nail polish cures a chigger infestation. Can you elaborate?

All hate crimes now.

I always wondered how nail polish cures a chigger infestation. Can you elaborate?
It suffocates the egg which is trying to incubate.

At least that is what i was told, a long time ago.

All hate crimes now.

It suffocates them. We used to use vasoline.

I remeber clipping baseball cards to the frame of my bike so they would make a clicking sound as the spokes of the wheels hit them.

I used Johny Podres for the most part.

Forum List

Back