Back in the 80's I thought these would be collectors items some day.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
I had dozens of VHS tapes from back in the day full of classic shows like The Andy Griffith Show, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, All in the Family and some others....anyway, who saw the internet coming ?

Now, over 30 years later, most of these shows are not only still on local stations every day, but you can find most of them on Netflix, Disney and Hulu or you can look many up on YouTube or buy the dvds.

I don't mean they would be valuable like coins or anything - but I guess they at least make interesting room decoration like book shelves if you keep them dusted off.

1595981549249.png

Last edited:
Man...boxes of those things back in the day. Recorded, then recorded over. The labels were never correct. Now it's all on the cloud. Soon you will pay for everything that was free.

No, not even a little bit. At one time I must have had a thousand miles of magnetic tape. Dumped that garbage just as soon as digital came along.

Those old tapes also lose their magnetic impression over time, and what might have been a passable picture at one time is now so fuzzy it's not worth watching, especially if you recorded in ELP.

No, not even a little bit. At one time I must have had a thousand miles of magnetic tape. Dumped that garbage just as soon as digital came along.
Vinyl albums seem to be enduring somehow though.

I don't get it. I dumped my albums and tapes without ever looking back about 2 seconds after they came out on CD and dumped those about 2 seconds after I got them on MP3. I have no nostalgia for record skips and tapes with the guts ripped out.

I don't get it. I dumped my albums and tapes without ever looking back about 2 seconds after they came out on CD and dumped those about 2 seconds after I got them on MP3. I have no nostalgia for record skips and tapes with the guts ripped out.

Well dumping CD's for mp3's is music with the guts ripped out, because mp3's are compressed files, they don't sound near as good as a CD.

Last edited:
Home movies of the kids are definitely valuable .....I need to convert them to dvds sometime.
I found an old talent show with my boys both playing a song on the piano. It was on one of those mini-DV tapes. I finally found a place in town that could convert it to DVD. It was so great to play it for them, they barely remembered it.

Man...boxes of those things back in the day. Recorded, then recorded over. The labels were never correct. Now it's all on the cloud. Soon you will pay for everything that was free.

LOL....busting off the tab so it couldnt be recorded over and then putting tape over it so ya could. :laughing0301:

Or was that cassettes?
....it's been so long.

LOL....busting off the tab so it couldnt be recorded over and then putting tape over it so ya could. :laughing0301:

Or was that cassettes?
....it's been so long.
No it worked for the tapes too. I remember my step father absolutely losing his shit when I recorded a football game over the video of his company picnic.
Oh good times.

Dell dumping CD's for mp3's is music with the guts ripped out, because mp3's are compressed files, they don't sound near as good as a CD.

I seriously cannot tell the difference if any. The ability to take my substantial music collection anywhere is an absolute godsend.

I had dozens of VHS tapes from back in the day full of classic shows like The Andy Griffith Show, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, All in the Family and some others....anyway, who saw the internet coming ?

Now, over 30 years later, most of these shows are not only still on local stations every day, but you can find most of them on Netflix, Disney and Hulu or you can look many up on YouTube or buy the dvds.

I don't mean they would be valuable like coins or anything - but I guess they at least make interesting room decoration like book shelves if you keep them dusted off.

View attachment 368468
Heck, back in the late 70s, early 80s I collected David Winter Cottages....... In the 90s their value took a nose dive, now they're starting to become a collectors item again with prices not much above what they were back then.

Forum List

Back