Australia's worst mass shooting in 22 years leaves family of 7 dead

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Not to be insensitive but I thought the term "mass shootings" applies to incidents where random members of the public are targeted (like the Vegas or Parkland shooter) and there are 4 or more casualties. In cases of domestic violence where the abuser actually kills his SO he will often include family members before committing suicide. Unfortunately this is a fairly common scenario so I'm wondering why they don't differentiate or rather why they lump them all together?

Family of 7 dead in Australia's worst mass shooting in 22 years

CANBERRA, Australia — A family of seven including four children was found dead with gunshot wounds Friday at a rural property in southwest Australia in what could be the country's worst mass shooting in 22 years, police and news media said.

The children died with their mother and grandparents. The three generations had moved in 2015 to Osmington, a village of fewer than 700 people near the tourist town of Margaret River, to grow fruit, media reported.

Police would not comment on the possibility of murder-suicide, but said they are not looking for a suspect.

Related
No mass shootings in Australia in 20 years: How did they do it?
After being alerted by a phone call before dawn, police found the bodies and two guns at the property, Western Australia state Police Commissioner Chris Dawson said. Police wouldn't say who made the call.

The bodies of two adults were found outside a house and the others were found inside. They all resided at the property, he said.

Police said they have no information that would raise concerns about wider public safety, suggesting a shooter is not at large.​

Last edited:
I thought the same thing when I first read this story. I assume the one they're talking about 22 years ago was the Port Arthur massacre, which I'd definitely classify as a mass shooting. Not sure the murder-suicide of a family should be lumped into that category.

Forum List

Back