Atheists More Suicidal, Marry Less, Have Fewer Children, More Depressed

ChemEngineer

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2019
Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. - Religious Affiliation and Suicide Attempt, American Journal of Psychiatry, December, 2004
Psychiatry Online

How will atheists try to squirm out of this science when they're constantly boasting of their "rationality" and "intellectualism".

You are ignoring content by this member (occupied). Show ignored content

Go from the presence of a foolish man. - The Holy Bible
Answer not a fool according to his folly lest thou be like unto him. - The Holy Bible

I refer atheists to The Devil's Delusion by David Berlinski, The Irrational Atheist by Vox Day and Illogical Atheism by Bo Jinn. I've read all of them and took notes. I'll even give my notes to any atheist who asks nicely.

Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. - Religious Affiliation and Suicide Attempt, American Journal of Psychiatry, December, 2004
Psychiatry Online

How will atheists try to squirm out of this science when they're constantly boasting of their "rationality" and "intellectualism".
This study should not be a surprise to any normal thinking person.

The same statistics apply to homosexuals as well.

I am sure these statics would apply to Leftist in general.

It's common sense to know that people who live their life with the belief they are constantly the victim of something ...

There is no way they could be happy.

Of course other risk factors would apply.

Ahhh, the religious drones generalizing. It always tries to attach negatives to people that don't conform to the norm, as though those that don't follow their ideology, are all the same way.
As a life-long Atheist, I can attest to the following, in my case:
1. I have never considered suicide. The reason being is that I have one life with no do-overs, so live it well.
2. Been married twice and am currently, long-lasting relationship with a "significant other." The first marriage ended in divorce. We were both too young and not ready. The second lasted 34 years, until her death. The current relationship is going along fine (she is a Buddhist and that's fine).
3. Three kids and they are also Atheist and doing fine.
4. Never been aggressive and have never used illegal drugs. I do drink alcohol, but it's on occasion and I don't drink to get drunk.
Separately, I'm not anti-Christian. I have no problem with the following:
Christmas (Christmas trees, Christmas decorations, Christmas Carols, et cetera).
Ten Commandments or other religious symbols on government or public property.
In God We Trust on currency. All I care about is that it spends. It could say, "In The Flying Spaghetti Monster We Trust," for all I care.
What I don't want to see is:
Religion running or heavily influencing the government. It always ends badly for those that don't believe in a religious or religious influenced government's ideology.
A religion in the U.S., that is so vehemently opposed to western freedoms, that it regularly incites violence against non-believers.

Religiously unaffiliated subjects …
Kids thrown out of their parents' house, excommunicated from their hometown establishments of religion, civil rights revoked by involuntary hospitalization.

I wouldn't say it's the same thing as atheism, but we're not talking peace, love, and forgiveness here. Whether God exists or not, there's certainly no God to the religion offered from the pulpit in those districts.

Not everyone has had a good experience with religious people. You cannot count on them to practice what they preach. I have encountered far more honesty in a barroom than any of the churches I attended throughout childhood. Instead of just figuratively burning the heretics has it ever occurred to you that the Jesus fan club is driving people away? Since the Christian right started worshiping a collection of political wedge issues church attendance has fallen off a cliff.

Kids thrown out of their parents' house, excommunicated from their hometown establishments of religion, civil rights revoked by involuntary hospitalization.

I wouldn't say it's the same thing as atheism, but we're not talking peace, love, and forgiveness here. Whether God exists or not, there's certainly no God to the religion offered from the pulpit in those districts.

Fortunately in your perfect wisdom, you have the answer to all these vexing problems.
Please share with all reading this how to deal with the most vile "kids" you speak of.
You offer love, peace and forgiveness and they steal from you, hate you, continue using drugs and alcohol, and robbing stores. You will talk them into goodness and achievement, will you? Pray tell how. You could earn millions in so doing.

Psychiatry Online

Pause and ask yourself "Why am I shouting?"

why start a thread then hide a post ... do you remove mirrors where you live as well.

Psychiatry Online

Pause and ask yourself "Why am I shouting?"

Typing letters in boldface is not even talking, much less shouting. Why are you triggered by bold letters? Pause and ask yourself. Leftists and atheists try to divert from messages with inconsequential trivia. Ask yourself to stop doing this.

Ahhh, the religious drones generalizing. It always tries to attach negatives to people that don't conform to the norm, as though those that don't follow their ideology, are all the same way.
As a life-long Atheist, I can attest to the following, in my case:
1. I have never considered suicide. The reason being is that I have one life with no do-overs, so live it well.
2. Been married twice and am currently, long-lasting relationship with a "significant other." The first marriage ended in divorce. We were both too young and not ready. The second lasted 34 years, until her death. The current relationship is going along fine (she is a Buddhist and that's fine).
3. Three kids and they are also Atheist and doing fine.
4. Never been aggressive and have never used illegal drugs. I do drink alcohol, but it's on occasion and I don't drink to get drunk.
Separately, I'm not anti-Christian. I have no problem with the following:
Christmas (Christmas trees, Christmas decorations, Christmas Carols, et cetera).
Ten Commandments or other religious symbols on government or public property.
In God We Trust on currency. All I care about is that it spends. It could say, "In The Flying Spaghetti Monster We Trust," for all I care.
What I don't want to see is:
Religion running or heavily influencing the government. It always ends badly for those that don't believe in a religious or religious influenced government's ideology.
A religion in the U.S., that is so vehemently opposed to western freedoms, that it regularly incites violence against non-believers.

Why do you hate science?

Psychiatry Online

What does it say about hypocrisy from the alleged religious?

Psychiatry Online

What does it say about hypocrisy from the alleged religious?

And the non-religious are not hypocritical? Maybe you should look in the mirror.

Atheism is often the result of a lifetime of unanswered prayers.

Atheism is the result of being blind to the obvious divinity that surrounds us. It is almost a form of psychosis.
Atheism is the result of being blind to the obvious divinity that surrounds us. It is almost a form of psychosis.
really, and where is that -
1602985880220.png

the christianity, surrounding their followers - and keeps them healthy.

You offer love, peace and forgiveness and they steal from you, hate you, continue using drugs and alcohol, and robbing stores
So you're dealing legal and medical marijuana, and running a liquor store, and somebody's under 21?

The good Christian adult establishment nightclub shit has got to go. Pray tell what's wrong with the kids for robbing you and burning you out, if you ain't got a shred of decency or morality more than that?

Why do you hate science?

WQ, I couldn't help but wonder the basis for your challenge above so I looked at the nonsense written by the individual on my Ignore List for previous gibberish.

The published paper did NOT state that all atheists are alike. It looks at averages.
One might think that a pretend sophisticate who is SO "intellectual" and SO "rational" would know that everyone in any group does not fit into one average characteristic of that group. But this one makes a big deal to show that he is smarter and better than his average group. In so doing, he misses the point they are always trying to make, of being SO much smarter and SO much better.

It's a Q.E.D. moment.

Separately, my county has a high IQ club, Mensa. Anyway the president is remarrying and his picture was in the newspaper. He's also overweight. I wrote to him laughingly of his silliness. It's fun to have fun but you have to know how.- - The Cat in the Hat

You offer love, peace and forgiveness and they steal from you, hate you, continue using drugs and alcohol, and robbing stores
So you're dealing legal and medical marijuana, and running a liquor store, and somebody's under 21?

The good Christian adult establishment nightclub shit has got to go. Pray tell what's wrong with the kids for robbing you and burning you out, if you ain't got a shred of decency or morality more than that?

You're a real psycho. FIRST you accuse Christians of all sorts of "shit" and then you are happy if their kids burn them out. You put your garbage onto those you hate and condemn them for the garbage you piled on. And you do so hatefully and ignorantly. What a peach you are. What is the most moral and uplifting thing you did in the past week? I'd really like to hear it, and be honest, if you possibly can.

Separately, my county has a high IQ club, Mensa
That's right. It's for intellectual Establishment gentlemen of the district and popular celebrity whores like Marilyn vos Savant. They've got this intellectual developmental age versus chronological age thing going on like it's a quotient or something graded on a bell curve, but the bar isn't very high for women, or else the club would be all men.

Forum List

Back