Atheists Get Better Sleep

mamooth

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
So does poor sleep lead to religiousness, or does religiousness lead to poor sleep?

---
Religious affiliation was associated with sleep duration, but not in the predicted direction. Atheists/Agnostics (73%) were significantly more likely to report meeting consensus sleep duration guidelines than religiously-affiliated individuals (65%), p<.05.
---

So does poor sleep lead to religiousness, or does religiousness lead to poor sleep?

---
Religious affiliation was associated with sleep duration, but not in the predicted direction. Atheists/Agnostics (73%) were significantly more likely to report meeting consensus sleep duration guidelines than religiously-affiliated individuals (65%), p<.05.
---
So it looks like around 10% of Atheists sleep better than nons . Without any margin of error, which tells me it is statistically insignificant. I'm one of the nons that gets a restful nights sleep.

Conclusion:
In contrast to predictions, religious affiliation was associated with significantly poorer sleep health. Poor sleep health has implications for physical and mental health, and seemingly also religious perceptions/beliefs. Future experimental work is required to disentangle the causal direction of sleep-religiosity associations.

the spirit will not rest when forsaken for books of forgeries and fallacies.

Most atheists are probably on drugs too.
Could that be why they show a slight increase overall...lol

Most of the Atheists I've met in life are non judgmental and good people.

But the ones that make an issue of it, I politely ignore and talk about the weather, and realize there is probably a nut bag Christian wannabe next to them too.

If you have to make it known you are a Christian right away, I put my hand over my wallet and run like hell.

Obviously these "religiously-affiliated individuals" are spending more time socializing at religiously-affiliated social functions, which leaves them less time for sleep, taking into account the usual demands of full-time working, living, etc. The phrase doesn't really speak to any actual deeply held religious beliefs.

The "Atheists/Agnostics" in this study are quite possibly just not the type to be losing sleep over semantic religious arguments with strangers, but I do sense a certain "drunken apathy" --- perhaps these ones are more "lone drinkers" rather than religiously-affiliated "social drinkers" who obviously aren't getting enough sleep at night.

The Bible says, "they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night," which when it comes right down to it, is a rather basic fact of life, regardless of one's religion or beliefs.

Atheists like to sleep.

10 facts about atheists

Atheists like to sleep.
>>> But atheists were far more likely than Christians to describe hobbies as meaningful or satisfying (26% vs. 10%). Atheists also were more likely than Americans overall to describe finances and money, creative pursuits, travel, and leisure activities as meaningful

This is very disturbing. Labor-union Democrat Christians, who can't find meaning in anything but work for wages, are in sorrier shape than the atheists. I may not be an atheist, but I do not react very well either to religiously affiliated (almost always a mix of casual catholic and reform jewish) "outreaches" or to anyone sitting on a church "pew" purporting to do "research" with a goal of influencing, manipulating, or controlling me or my beliefs, especially when there's so much overt political propaganda thrown in with it.

Forum List

Back