At this point, we know the differences are irreconcilable between libs and conservatives

I don't know if I understand your question correctly. Why would another country buy oil only to sell to us at no profit? Russia can sell to whoever they desire and we can't stop that, but it seems a lot of countries are cutting down on their interactions with the country. Outside of China, who wants to deal with the tyrant?

Most of the world is fine dealing with Russia.
It is the Ukraine that is switching sides so looks like a loose cannon, besides stealing oil, abusing ethnic Russians in Donetsk and Crimea, and trying to manipulate NATO to give them nukes.

Converting the country to a four day work week would take less than a month. Start with government including schools. Parents would need to be home with their kids on that one extra day off. Then offer companies a minor tax incentive for participating in this change. You would have a lot of support from the middle-class blue collar workers, government workers, environmentalists, and there would be few in opposition with the exception of those who really enjoy working.

I went past my gas station again today. It's over $4.09 a gallon now and predicted to go higher. This was just on the word of Dementia who stated we will no longer be importing Russian oil. This will take a week or so to actually do, but look at how the market responded nearly the minute Biden made this announcement. That's how this market works.

The US bought an insignificant amount of Russian oil, so this is really a fake anouncement.

I would call 12 to 28 million barrels a month pretty significant.
Specifically Russian crude oil is only 6 million (3%) and there are many ways to mitigate that shortage relatively quickly, for example, with similar quality Venezuelan supply untill our production catches up.

Specifically Russian crude oil is only 6 million (3%) and there are many ways to mitigate that shortage relatively quickly, for example, with similar quality Venezuelan supply untill our production catches up.

Of course we are eventually going to replace it but the question is when? They had a station in San Diagio yesterday advertising $6.99 per gallon. Experts say it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

Of course we are eventually going to replace it but the question is when? They had a station in San Diagio yesterday advertising $6.99 per gallon. Experts say it's only going to get worse before it gets better.
Those experts have already made their futures bets ;)

Biden has commited to release of 30 million barrels from reserves. Thats about half a year equivalent of Russian crude imports. That buys some time for us to sort it out.

Last edited:
There is actually, it's called vote buying. Look at Dementia. He increased food stamps to the highest level it's ever been increased since the program started. This encourages people to stay on the program as long as possible. He also increased the child tax credit encouraging women to stay home with their kids.

I'll offer a true story here: I had an unmarried couple I was renting an apartment to. They had two children, two dogs and a few cats. When they started to get behind on rent I called them over to my apartment to discuss the problem.

He was hell bent on not working one hour over 40 per week. She stayed home supposedly to home school the kids even though she was as dumb as F herself. So I suggested that while he's home on the weekends, he could watch the kids and she could go out to get a part-time job somewhere like Walmart. They would have nothing to do with it. She got $280.00 in food stamps because as far as the government was concerned, she's a single mother with two children and no income.

Long story short I had to evict them. Afterwards I sued him in court for back rent and some minor damages plus moving their crap out of the apartment they didn't take with them. So they lost a really good rent because government was basically paying her not to work. I had his wages garnished for over a year to recover my losses.
You've told me a story of desperation and that's the reason for the Jan.6th. riots and coup attempt. People are fed up with the American way of greedy capitalism, income inequality, and not getting a piece of the great American pie. The system is breaking down and that brings the threat of fascism.

Why is that so true? Are people too lazy to work?
Is 40 hours a week not enough of a person's life spent at a job?
Should a mother not be able to spend her time at home caring for her children?

Are any of these issues unsolvable with a good hourly wage rate that is in sync with the cost of living?

Can America afford to take care of all of it's people

Don't give knee jerk answers Ray, think the questions out carefully. And then tell me what's wrong with America?

You've told me a story of desperation and that's the reason for the Jan.6th. riots and coup attempt. People are fed up with the American way of greedy capitalism, income inequality, and not getting a piece of the great American pie. The system is breaking down and that brings the threat of fascism.

Why is that so true? Are people too lazy to work?
Is 40 hours a week not enough of a person's life spent at a job?
Should a mother not be able to spend her time at home caring for her children?

Are any of these issues unsolvable with a good hourly wage rate that is in sync with the cost of living?

Can America afford to take care of all of it's people

Don't give knee jerk answers Ray, think the questions out carefully. And then tell me what's wrong with America?

Our founders didn't design a federal government to take care of people, they designed our federal government to govern.

So what should be done about wealth inequity? If government takes more money from wealthy people, how does that help one poor person?

You and I both open up widget factories. You pay your employees union wages and I pay my employees whatever I can to get to get them to work the job which is half as much as you pay your employees. Now we go to sell our widgets to Amazon.

I can sell my widgets for $8.00 each and still make a reasonable profit. You have to sell yours for $12.00 each just to break even. Which one of us do you suppose Amazon will buy their widgets from?

Jobs are not created to give people work and good benefits, jobs are created because somebody needs help producing their products or services. In this country the consumer focus is on price less than quality. So in order to compete with like industries, we need to produce products cheaper than our competitors, and you can't do that paying somebody $20.00 an hour turning nuts onto bolts or riding around on a floor sweeper all day. Good paying jobs don't magically appear because you want them or need a place to work where you can support your family.

If you can't take care of your child and work at the same time, then don't have children. It's not societies responsibility to fund raising your kids. That's your responsibility and not governments.

Those experts have already made their futures bets ;)

Biden has commited to release of 30 million barrels from reserves. Thats about half a year equivalent of Russian crude imports. That buys some time for us to sort it out.

The US uses nearly 20 million barrels a day. What's going to happen is the same thing that happened when he released oil from our reserves a few weeks ago, it's not going to make any difference in what we are paying now. So stalling for a day or two is not going to help one American. It's just a dog and pony show.

You and I both open up widget factories. You pay your employees union wages and I pay my employees whatever I can to get to get them to work the job which is half as much as you pay your employees. Now we go to sell our widgets to Amazon.
So you pay your widget makers a wage that won't suffice with only 40 hours a week of their lives devoted to your factory. And the people rise up and attempt a coup against government.

Are you suggesting that the American system isn't viable, if it's based on a 40 hour work week?
Your only clue Ray, has to be based on your widget business that isn't viable because it can't pay a satisfactory wage.

Or is it viable and the problem is that you, the owner of the company is choosing to pay less than he can afford to pay in wages? Which is it Ray?

1. you're not paying as much as you can afford to pay.
2. Your business isn't viable and is forced to pay more than it can afford.

Get back to me when you've created a third answer.

So you pay your widget makers a wage that won't suffice with only 40 hours a week of their lives devoted to your factory. And the people rise up and attempt a coup against government.

Are you suggesting that the American system isn't viable, if it's based on a 40 hour work week?
Your only clue Ray, has to be based on your widget business that isn't viable because it can't pay a satisfactory wage.

Or is it viable and the problem is that you, the owner of the company is choosing to pay less than he can afford to pay in wages? Which is it Ray?

1. you're not paying as much as you can afford to pay.
2. Your business isn't viable and is forced to pay more than it can afford.

Get back to me when you've created a third answer.
How much a small business owner pays his staff has NOTHING to do with what he can “afford.” If I, as a skilled consultant, can bill my services at $125 an hour, does that mean I have to pay my receptionist $50 an hour because I can afford to get by on $75 an hour?

As far as whether a business is viable, it is as long as it can turn a profit while paying its employees the market rate. The market rate around here for unskilled labor is $15 an hour, and goes up from there.

As far as whether a business is viable, it is as long as it can turn a profit while paying its employees the market rate.
So true!
The market rate around here for unskilled labor is $15 an hour, and goes up from there.
Can a family of let's say 4, two parents and two children get by and be content with $15 an hour with a 40 hour week?

If so then the system is viable! If not then there will be discontent and trouble, perhaps escalating to attempted coups against government.

Note too that parameters vary widely. Such as 40 hours, $15 or less, family size, expectations, and some others you could think of?

Give it some thought and get back to me when your brain isn't too full.

So true!

Can a family of let's say 4, two parents and two children get by and be content with $15 an hour with a 40 hour week?

If so then the system is viable! If not then there will be discontent and trouble, perhaps escalating to attempted coups against government.

Note too that parameters vary widely. Such as 40 hours, $15 or less, family size, expectations, and some others you could think of?

Give it some thought and get back to me when your brain isn't too full.
Yes, that’s $60,000 income. I know people who do it - rent cheap apartment, don’t eat out, no vacations other than to visit grandma.

And you say they might be discontent with the fact that their income potential is low given their lack of skills? Then they need to do something about it. LEARN A SKILL. Why should an employer have to pay more than an unskilled person is worth simply because they’re not “content” with what a $60k HHI allows?

And what does family size have to do with it? You’re saying that if they have three kids, they need to be paid more; and if they have four kids, even more? Then I’m hiring the single childless person.

Yes, that’s $60,000 income. I know people who do it - rent cheap apartment, don’t eat out, no vacations other than to visit grandma.

And you say they might be discontent with the fact that their income potential is low given their lack of skills? Then they need to do something about it. LEARN A SKILL. Why should an employer have to pay more than an unskilled person is worth simply because they’re not “content” with what a $60k HHI allows?

And what does family size have to do with it? You’re saying that if they have three kids, they need to be paid more; and if they have four kids, even more? Then I’m hiring the single childless person.
Your brain is still too full to understand Lisa.
But at least you must understand that your country owns all the problems. Have a good one!

Your brain is still too full to understand Lisa.
But at least you must understand that your country owns all the problems. Have a good one!
Nope…..people own their problems, in most cases, due to their choices. People in my family made the right choices, and thus went from poverty to the (very) comfortable middle class. No reason all able-bodied, mentally normal people can’t do the same.

The US uses nearly 20 million barrels a day. What's going to happen is the same thing that happened when he released oil from our reserves a few weeks ago, it's not going to make any difference in what we are paying now. So stalling for a day or two is not going to help one American. It's just a dog and pony show.
???

What relavance does total use have when we only need to make up Russian crude shortfall?

none is the correct answer.

Last edited:
I would call 12 to 28 million barrels a month pretty significant.

The US is importing more Russian oil than I thought, but it is still less than 5% of our total oil imports.

{...
The following ten countries are those that the U.S. imports the most oil from per day based on April 2020 numbers. Numbers are in thousands of barrels.
  1. Canada (4,088)
  2. Mexico (631)
  3. Saudi Arabia (431)
  4. Russia (408)
  5. Colombia (277)
  6. Ecuador (176)
  7. Iraq (140)
  8. South Korea (133)
  9. Brazil (104)
  10. The Netherlands (93)
In 2019, the United States imported a total of 3.319 billion barrels in 2019, 1.613 billion of which were from Canada.
...}

Somethings must be going wrong, because at one time, Venezuela was our 4th largest importer, and I do not even see it any more.

Nope…..people own their problems, in most cases, due to their choices. People in my family made the right choices, and thus went from poverty to the (very) comfortable middle class. No reason all able-bodied, mentally normal people can’t do the same.
Yes, there are reasons why they don't do the same. Having black skin in America is probably the #2 reason, close behind the fact that working class Americans are being cheated out of a piece of the pie.

Your freedom, economic freedoms, quality of life, health care, and other social shortfalls has put American far down the list of the world's modern countries. Get a clue Lisa, your people are rising up and are willing to support fascism now.

Forum List

Back