AT - After Trump

Ummmmmmm, Trump leads the primary polling in every single state there is, by quite a bit. It would behoove you to take Trump seriously instead of writing him off.
Trump is 76 years old and is obviously not a healthy guy
Trump is under Federal felony indictment in Florida, Local in NY, and will soon be indicted in Georgia.

I'm not dismissing Trump, I am asking for opinions on the GOP direction after Trump is gone from the scene.

Ron DeSantis is the only Republican that has a chance to beat Joe Biden in a head to head match. However, he has not demonstrated that he can handle the spotlight of running for President.
Beyond that, the future of the party is clouded. They've gone for so long being the lapdogs of You-Know-Who, they've lost their identity entirely. There's no one that really stands out.
And that person will have the unenviable task of trying to distance themselves from the previous head of the party.
They will also need to walk a fine line that inspires both the Repub base and independents. Good luck with that.

Trump is 70+ million Americans strong and will still be going strong long after Trump the man exits politics. This is something Dems never understood. Trump simply gave a voice to Americans sick of the Dem's BS and lies.
Great. No Republican wins with just Republican votes though.

You could also ask for the sake of argument what happens if Biden dies before the election. That might be a more likely scenario. Anyway for the sake of discussion what happens next after Trump? Some other republican defeats the doddering old fool.
The attacks on Biden’s age are really just stupid. Trump is only a few years younger and both are in the danger zone for an age related catastrophic health event. I would argue that Trump is physically less healthy and is facing quite a stressful future.

Trump is 76 years old and is obviously not a healthy guy
Trump is under Federal felony indictment in Florida, Local in NY, and will soon be indicted in Georgia.

I'm not dismissing Trump, I am asking for opinions on the GOP direction after Trump is gone from the scene.
Trump is not gone from the scene. What makes you think he is?

AB - after Biden is going to come a hell of a lot sooner than AT.
I don't see how they can drag "Weekend At Biden's" around for 2 more years.
I agree with you. Meatball Ron is too busy playing King. He's blown it badly. He'll be lucky to remain as Governor.

Haley blew it when she jumped on the Rump Train. With Rump going away, one way or another, those that kissed his ring (the one on his ass) are going to be dead, dead, dead in the water.

I have been following Paul Ryan who has NEVER been a MAGAt. He's a Bonafide Fiscal Conservative.
Paul Ryan is a Neocon shitbag on par with Mitt Romney. I think he was the one whispering bad things into Trump's ear the 1st 2 years.

So with trump's indictment perhaps we should talk about the GOP after Trump.

For the sake of discussion let's assume, for whatever reason, on dec 1, 2023 Trump is no longer running for President. What happens next in the GOP?

This is not about Trump and attempts to discuss him will be reported

Traditionally, in the GOP, Mike Pence would be the most likely successor. But...ewww. Even the GOP doesn't like him.

Desantis
Christie
Abbott
Ernst
Cotten
Cruz
Hawley
Johnson
Langford
Paul
Rubio
The Scotts
Sanders
Kemp
Noem
Lee
Youngkin
...Romney???

And what happens during the primaries? Do the losers claim voter fraud and challenge the results in court? Perhaps delaying the nomination past the general?
Do the losing GOP candidates resort to violence because they feel they've been cheated?

Absent Trump who would win the GOP nomination?
How much actual support would they have from within the GOP base?

I'd like to have a serious discussion so please refrain from Democrats, Trump (except as an endorser), LBGTQ+, Ukraine, and religion.
The GOP, regrettably, needs to be defeated for about, say 8 more years and hopefully they pull their collective heads from their nether regions and regroup. I'd love to see a resurgence of actual conservativism once again in my lifetime. I realize this is a HUGE ask these days, and might as well wish for a unicorn, but you gotta take everything in stride if you want to survive. :113:

Mr. Trump first blipped on my social radar in the '80s on a show called Lifestyles Of The Rich and Famous. I would spend Sundays, after church, forced to watch this dreck with my grandmother at her house. She just loved that lowbrow daytime TeeVee nonsense. For you younger folk, Lifestyles Of The Rich and Famous was more than a song from the band Good Charlotte. It was an *actual* syndicated network TeeVee show (streaming content networks didn't exist) that delivered as advertised. Thirty minutes of worshipping the rich and the famous. Fix, satisfied. :113: Depravity unlocked. It was kind of a precursor to the superficial fame/rich whoring Kardashian nonsense US citizens ingest 24/7 now, but with Campbell's Soup commercials in between breaks back then. Host Robin Leach fawned over his rich and famous guests like acolytes that were shaping a twisted, superficial version of a 'New America', and Trump came off to me then as a gaudy, spoiled, entitled trust fund brat. I had absolutely no use for him then, nor do I now.

I used to listen to Howard Stern pretty religiously, and that was the second blip. Mr. Trump was the ultimate creepy sleaze bag on that show, but now much older and fatter. This was even before the Billy Bush tape. He ran for president in 2000 for the first time, I believe for the' Reform Party' or something. A bust. A joke candidate just there to soak up the sweet, sweet notoriety. He dropped out because he had like 7% of the vote. I believe he might have been a democrat at this point, but I'm a bit fuzzy on detail. Again, I had absolutely no use for him then, nor do I now.

Mr. Trump was always hawking something: real estate, steaks, flight, education, you name it. First class grifter, in a carnival barker suit. Made for TeeVee. Made for rubes. I never cared for it, thus I largely ignored it to my enormous chagrin later. :rolleyes: By now, Mr. Trump was amassing some notoriety (Blip #3) for many right-wing conspiracies involving president Obama's Birth Certificate and alleging Obama supported ISIS, etc. Bullshit accusations that ultimately turned out to be verifiably incorrect. It's a trend today, but I believe Mr. Trump's method of bringing blatantly dishonest politics to the US started back then. Once more, I had absolutely no use for him then, nor do I now.

I'm still suffering mild PTSD from the point in time that the GOP, starting in 2015 up until his nomination, decided this non useful idiot was going to be 'their guy'. Now I know, by and large, republican presidential candidates since Nixon have had the personalities of houseplants but they at least seemed to have had the policies and moral clarity by nature to connect with the constituency and win elections. US citizens used to never fret about the personalities of politicians. As long as they believed the policies were copacetic, we really didn't care about how our president lived his life. It just wasn't important. :dunno:

But all that changed when the GOP unleashed this Orange Virus on us. The GOP shoulders the blame, but they will refuse to accept accountability for their actions at the moment, because their malignant narcissist Reverend Trump won't allow it. So, fuck 'em. :dunno:

Over 8 years of a solid majority rule, the democrats will continue to make a crazed society more crazy and divided because they cater to the marginalized, no matter how small the demographic, how much it costs, and how unreasonable the ask is.. It's kind of what they do, and they are really fucking good at it. They have been doing it my whole life, so I see liberals as like the true pioneers of inventing bullshit. They are masters of marketing, communication, and the Arts. And they do not believe any odor emits from their sphincters due to climate change. Regressives will blame, shame anything and everyone, because reasons. :dunno: Allow me to reinforce the notion of taking everything in stride if you want to survive.

Biden was simply the decades old plan B both parties seem to use when new blood just doesn't pan out. The DNC predictably ran the unscripted, uninteresting former Obama VP in lieu of anybody interesting (because there was literally no one more interesting). It worked, thus the democrats seem to be pretty good at this at the moment, but they will eventually fail too. See Hillary Clinton. See Bernie Sanders. The DNC has a serious charisma problem right now as well.

I align more with republicans on deficit, budget, tradition, free enterprise, and owning as much land as you can afford. As a cock Asian citizen myself, I have a deep appreciation for my guaranteed liberty, my constitutional rights, and freedoms most countries envy. I do not say that in jest. I am a proud owner of several firearms and I believe they are crucial for hunting, protection and sport. I can also understand the opposition's argument as well. I just don't fully buy it. :dunno:

I try not to get too hung up on societal outrage, and so many USMB people seem to hate me for it. :dunno: Fuck'em.

So, GOP: Enough of this entitlement garbage, this populism infatuation, the wildly unpopular ideologies the GOP espouses as of late are too much, as they come from a handful of hateful extremists with grievances and specific agendas based on revenge politics. Enough already.

Republicans shouldn't 'worship' their candidates like televangelists. Perhaps a little critical thinking post-Trump could go a long way in reinventing the party as a vessel for good, rather than corruption.

Prediction?

Based upon the right now, Desantis becomes the republican nominee. He will lose the general. Badly.

Last edited:
The GOP, regrettably, needs to be defeated for about, say 8 more years and hopefully they pull their collective heads from their nether regions and regroup. I'd love to see a resurgence of actual conservativism once again in my lifetime. I realize this is a HUGE ask these days, and might as well wish for a unicorn, but you gotta take everything in stride if you want to survive. :113:

Mr. Trump first blipped on my social radar in the '80s on a show called Lifestyles Of The Rich and Famous. I would spend Sundays, after church, forced to watch this dreck with my grandmother at her house. She just loved that lowbrow daytime TeeVee nonsense. For you younger folk, Lifestyles Of The Rich and Famous was more than a song from the band Good Charlotte. It was an *actual* syndicated network TeeVee show (streaming content networks didn't exist) that delivered as advertised. Thirty minutes of worshipping the rich and the famous. Fix, satisfied. :113: Depravity unlocked. It was kind of a precursor to the superficial fame/rich whoring Kardashian nonsense US citizens ingest 24/7 now, but with Campbell's Soup commercials in between breaks back then. Host Robin Leach fawned over his rich and famous guests like acolytes that were shaping a twisted, superficial version of a 'New America', and Trump came off to me then as a gaudy, spoiled, entitled trust fund brat. I had absolutely no use for him then, nor do I now.

I used to listen to Howard Stern pretty religiously, and that was the second blip. Mr. Trump was the ultimate creepy sleaze bag on that show, but now much older and fatter. This was even before the Billy Bush tape. He ran for president in 2000 for the first time, I believe for the' Reform Party' or something. A bust. A joke candidate just there to soak up the sweet, sweet notoriety. He dropped out because he had like 7% of the vote. I believe he might have been a democrat at this point, but I'm a bit fuzzy on detail. Again, I had absolutely no use for him then, nor do I now.

Mr. Trump was always hawking something: real estate, steaks, flight, education, you name it. First class grifter, in a carnival barker suit. Made for TeeVee. Made for rubes. I never cared for it, thus I largely ignored it to my enormous chagrin later. :rolleyes: By now, Mr. Trump was amassing some notoriety (Blip #3) for many right-wing conspiracies involving president Obama's Birth Certificate and alleging Obama supported ISIS, etc. Bullshit accusations that ultimately turned out to be verifiably incorrect. It's a trend today, but I believe Mr. Trump's method of bringing blatantly dishonest politics to the US started back then. Once more, I had absolutely no use for him then, nor do I now.

I'm still suffering mild PTSD from the point in time that the GOP, starting in 2015 up until his nomination, decided this non useful idiot was going to be 'their guy'. Now I know, by and large, republican presidential candidates since Nixon have had the personalities of houseplants but they at least seemed to have had the policies and moral clarity by nature to connect with the constituency and win elections. US citizens used to never fret about the personalities of politicians. As long as they believed the policies were copacetic, we really didn't care about how our president lived his life. It just wasn't important. :dunno:

But all that changed when the GOP unleashed this Orange Virus on us. The GOP shoulders the blame, but they will refuse to accept accountability for their actions at the moment, because their malignant narcissist Reverend Trump won't allow it. So, fuck 'em. :dunno:

Over 8 years of a solid majority rule, the democrats will continue to make a crazed society more crazy and divided because they cater to the marginalized, no matter how small the demographic, how much it costs, and how unreasonable the ask is.. It's kind of what they do, and they are really fucking good at it. They have been doing it my whole life, so I see liberals as like the true pioneers of inventing bullshit. They are masters of marketing, communication, and the Arts. And they do not believe any odor emits from their sphincters due to climate change. Regressives will blame, shame anything and everyone, because reasons. :dunno: Allow me to reinforce the notion of taking everything in stride if you want to survive.

Biden was simply the decades old plan B both parties seem to use when new blood just doesn't pan out. The DNC predictably ran the unscripted, uninteresting former Obama VP in lieu of anybody interesting (because there was literally no one more interesting). It worked, thus the democrats seem to be pretty good at this at the moment, but they will eventually fail too. See Hillary Clinton. See Bernie Sanders. The DNC has a serious charisma problem right now as well.

I align more with republicans on deficit, budget, tradition, free enterprise, and owning as much land as you can afford. As a cock Asian citizen myself, I have a deep appreciation for my guaranteed liberty, my constitutional rights, and freedoms most countries envy. I do not say that in jest. I am a proud owner of several firearms and I believe they are crucial for hunting, protection and sport. I can also understand the opposition's argument as well. I just don't fully buy it. :dunno:

I try not to get too hung up on societal outrage, and so many USMB people seem to hate me for it. :dunno: Fuck'em.

So, GOP: Enough of this entitlement garbage, this populism infatuation, the wildly unpopular ideologies the GOP espouses as of late are too much, as they come from a handful of hateful extremists with grievances and specific agendas based on revenge politics. Enough already.

Republicans shouldn't 'worship' their candidates like televangelists. Perhaps a little critical thinking post-Trump could go a long way in reinventing the party as a vessel for good, rather than corruption.

Prediction?

Based upon the right now, Desantis becomes the republican nominee. He will lose the general. Badly.
Thanks for the well thought out response.

1. Trump is just a reflection of the GOP. All this started long before Trump decided to take advantage of the climate to come to power. But, as we've seen over the last dozen years from Kansas, to LA, to FL and beyond, these people cannot govern. W/O absolute power their ideology is dead in the water and with it they turn FL into Flori-DUH.

2. In this thread I'm trying to determine who will come out on top in the Dystopia that is today's GOP.

What happens after Biden? I'll give you a clue. A Republican becomes president.
Is there a reason you're unwilling to speculate on a post Trump GOP?
It's not a crime not disloyal to speculate about the future.
UNLESS, of course
You're thinking this election crap is crap and they should just hand the "crown" to Junior?

Forum List

Back