At 222 Years Old The USS Constitution is America’s Oldest Warship Still Afloat.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
718B7891-3068-4443-988B-5E5A6CA19F88.jpeg

After bringing the British crew aboard as prisoners, the Americans concluded Guerriere was too far gone to salvage and burned her.

“Old Ironsides,” the U.S. Navy’s 222-year-old frigate USS Constitution, has been through it all and lived to tell the tale, two centuries after her original life expectancy lapsed.

Constructed of sturdy live oak, pine, and (at one point) copper sheathing procured from Paul Revere, she was a first step in withstanding attacks by enemy fleets that had both larger and more numerous ships than the six frigates that were authorized by Congress in the Naval Act of 1794.

At 222 Years Old The USS Constitution is America's Oldest Warship Still Afloat

• Banned
^ Construction and the first Barbary War.

Constitution was designed and built in Boston by shipbuilder Joshua Humphreys. Long in the keel, narrow in the beam, and with a 21-inch-thick hull, Constitution was designated as a 44-gun frigate.
Since the fledgling U.S. Navy was no match for fleets such as those of Great Britain and France, Humphreys’s strategy was to construct heavy frigates that could overpower lighter enemy frigates and run from a ship of the line.
On her first deployment in the Quasi-War with France, Constitution took some prizes but was not engaged in any major battles. Three years later, however, she saw action in the Mediterranean during the First Barbary War.

Took a tour of the ship when I was in Boston a few years ago. It is the oldest ship in the U.S. Navy and our tour guides were active duty navy sailors. ... :cool:

Last edited:
  • Banned
Took a tour of the ship when I was in Boston a few years ago. It is the oldest ship in the U.S. Navy and our tour guides were active duty navy sailors. ... :cool:

I didn’t see it when I was in Boston.

Someone took me to see the Tea Party boat. > tiny.

And visits to the sites of the dastardly British and their evil deeds.

I did do a tour of the USS Nautilus, in Conn.

I didn’t see it when I was in Boston.

Someone took me to see the Tea Party boat. > tiny.

And visits to the sites of the dastardly British and their evil deeds.

I did do a tour of the USS Nautilus, in Conn.
Both the Constitution and Nautilus are free tours

Every year the ship is towed into Boston harbor to do what is called a "turnaround cruise". The ship is then taken back to her dock and berthed in the opposite direction. This is to ensure the ship gets equal weathering on both sides. ... :cool:

View attachment 342905

After bringing the British crew aboard as prisoners, the Americans concluded Guerriere was too far gone to salvage and burned her.

“Old Ironsides,” the U.S. Navy’s 222-year-old frigate USS Constitution, has been through it all and lived to tell the tale, two centuries after her original life expectancy lapsed.

Constructed of sturdy live oak, pine, and (at one point) copper sheathing procured from Paul Revere, she was a first step in withstanding attacks by enemy fleets that had both larger and more numerous ships than the six frigates that were authorized by Congress in the Naval Act of 1794.

She is the oldest ship afloat in the world, not just the USA. HMS Victory is older, but she's kept in drydock.

When visiting the Constitution at the Boston Navy Yard, be sure to include time to see the USS Cassin Young which is another museum ship a short walk away.

The Cassin Young is a Fletcher-class destroyer that served during the Second World War and the Korean War. The ship was awarded seven battle stars and can be viewed in its 1950s configuration.

a1.PNG

View attachment 342905

I have a piece of it

and conservatives are human garbage

Forum List

Back