Aspirin no longer recommended to prevent 1st heart attack, stroke for most adults over 60

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Yet another reason people try to educate themselves on issues and not just accept the "settled science" (quite a paradox in terms).

I had a history of ulcers that I have essentially eliminated due to my own research, I recall reading about the risks of stomach bleeding with overuse of aspirin, thus, I avoided this approach.

Now it seems science has shifted due to the risk/reward tradeoff.

For years, doctors recommended people in their 50s start taking baby aspirin every day to protect against heart attacks and stroke. But in recent years, with new evidence of the possible harm of daily aspirin, health experts shifted those recommendations.

In major new guidance, an influential physician task force no longer recommends daily aspirin to prevent a first heart attack or stroke among people 60 and older. Meanwhile, the new guidance said people 40 to 59 should only take it if they have a high risk of cardiovascular disease, and in consultation with a doctor. There is little benefit in continuing aspirin beyond the age of 75 years old, experts concluded.

Yet another reason people try to educate themselves on issues and not just accept the "settled science" (quite a paradox in terms).

I had a history of ulcers that I have essentially eliminated due to my own research, I recall reading about the risks of stomach bleeding with overuse of aspirin, thus, I avoided this approach.

For years, doctors recommended people in their 50s start taking baby aspirin every day to protect against heart attacks and stroke. But in recent years, with new evidence of the possible harm of daily aspirin, health experts shifted those recommendations.

In major new guidance, an influential physician task force no longer recommends daily aspirin to prevent a first heart attack or stroke among people 60 and older. Meanwhile, the new guidance said people 40 to 59 should only take it if they have a high risk of cardiovascular disease, and in consultation with a doctor. There is little benefit in continuing aspirin beyond the age of 75 years old, experts concluded.
You realize "scientists" have been back and forth on this topic for years, right?

Piled Higher and Deeper

The modus operandi (MO) of the Pharmafia is that if one of their chemists comes up with a substitute for a popular product, they bribe PhDs to write a paper claiming that such a product is harmful.

HLN also said aspirin can cause internal bleeding of the stomach and brain and cause heart disease. This is where the medical experts got it right for once. I would avoid taking aspirin.

HLN also said aspirin can cause internal bleeding of the stomach and brain and cause heart disease. This is where the medical experts got it right for once. I would avoid taking aspirin.
Yes I have heard them talking about that on Youtube. In the UK we get provided with gastro resistant capsules to avoid this happening but they apparently lead to some form of cancer, I have also heard someone say that they now believe they should ignore the bottom number of blood pressure if it is low and give the patient what they need to be comfortable. Have you heard that or was it not true?

Yes I have heard them talking about that on Youtube. In the UK we get provided with gastro resistant capsules to avoid this happening but they apparently lead to some form of cancer, I have also heard someone say that they now believe they should ignore the bottom number of blood pressure if it is low and give the patient what they need to be comfortable. Have you heard that or was it not true?
I have not heard that. Thank you for that information!

Forum List

Back