Asians are NOT Being Passed Over At Harvard

You were the one who brought up the WNBA.
I was responding to this:
The fact that Asians are over-represented at Harvard doesn't mean they aren't discriminated against, because the average Asian applicant is more qualified than the average non-Asian applicant. The reason the NBA is all male isn't because it's discriminating against women, it's because men are better at basketball than women.
Given that I am the OP, I can request that we get back on topic if it strays too far off. This thread is about the fact that Asians are not being discriminated against at Harvard. The numbers show that.

And since you want to talk, you are expressing the same racism as whites did in the 16, 17, 18, 1900's. So then our demand for reparations is not based on just things that happened due to unrelated people.
All your mealy-mouthed victim-blabber means nothing to me.
I will gladly pay reparations to anyone I've enslaved. That's not you, nor is it anyone else.
Do you ever get tired of this same whine you put out?
Do you think it actually changes anyone's mind?
I think you just want attention as the stereotypical "angry black man".
Carry on, oh wayward son.

All your mealy-mouthed victim-blabber means nothing to me.
I will gladly pay reparations to anyone I've enslaved. That's not you, nor is it anyone else.
Do you ever get tired of this same whine you put out?
Do you think it actually changes anyone's mind?
I think you just want attention as the stereotypical "angry black man".
Carry on, oh wayward son.

This thread is about the fact that unqualified whites are being admitted into harvard thereby reducing opportunities foe better qualified non white students. It is not about your opinion about reparations

This thread is about the fact that unqualified whites are being admitted into harvard thereby reducing opportunities foe better qualified non white students. It is not about your opinion about reparations
I disagree. Everything you post is about money.

I disagree. Everything you post is about money.
What you don't agree with is irrelevant and this IS a capitalist system,. But the fact of this topic is that Asians aren't being excluded for blacks and less qualified whites get preferences to get into Harvard.

Asians are not being passed over at Harvard. White racists need to quit using Asians as racial mascots.

One recent study has provided the justification for the claim that non-whites where the majority of perpetrators of Asian-American hate crimes. The study was published in the American Journal of Criminal Justice in January, and it was based on data from 1992-2014. But the study clearly indicates that the identities of the perpetrators of hate crimes against Asian-Americans are overwhelmingly white: 74.6 percent of these crimes are committed by white assailants.
that means 25 percent were not white how much of the population is black again?

that means 25 percent were not white how much of the population is black again?
75 percent were white. Now there is a fixed number of attacks on Asians. That number is 100 percent. That number is a percentage of the population. That number will be what is used, not the entire population. Out of that number 75 percent were white. That means 3 out of 4 attacks on Asians were white. The 13 percent excuse is weak.

75 percent were white. Now there is a fixed number of attacks on Asians. That number is 100 percent. That number is a percentage of the population. That number will be what is used, not the entire population. Out of that number 75 percent were white. That means 3 out of 4 attacks on Asians were white. The 13 percent excuse is weak.
So percent's are only used by you when they support your supposed claim and the rest of the time they don't apply I see,

First, let me start with the reason right-wingers here defend Asians even after blaming them for COVID19 was that Asian culture teaches to take the abuse and be quiet. It is the same philosophy Booker T. Washington used and blacks found that DID NOT WORK. Young Asians today have found that it does not work and are talking to older Asians about it. In upcoming years look for Asians to lose most favored minority group status and honorary whiteness as they begin to get more forceful in their challenge of white supremacy.

Actually, what Asian do is work hard and don't whine, and it works just fine for them. They also don't put up race pimps like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton as leaders.

It is time to look at Blum's claim. He claims Asians are discriminated against in admissions. Harvard admission numbers do not support his claim. Asians are 6 percent of the American population, but they were 25.9 percent of the students entering Harvard in 2021. That is a full ten percentage points more than African Americans (15.9%) and more than double the percentage of both Hispanics(12.5%) and Native Americans(11%). In fact, there were more Asians admitted into Harvard than Hispanics and Native Americans combined. Additionally, a study published by the National Bureau of Economic Research and reported on the NBC.com website on September 20, 2019, revealed this:

You miss the point entirely. Asians would be a HIGHER percentage of the admissions IF we went ONLY by test scores and GPA. To get the levels of blacks and Hispanics to "woke" levels, you have to take a black with lower scores over an Asian with higher scores.

Now, of course anyone even being considered for Harvard is pretty darned good. And you can make the argument that given the outsized influence schools like Harvard have in business and government, that they need to be more representative.

But the underlying problem with this is that if you worked hard, busted your ass, and you still have someone who didn't get as good of grades or test scores get a slot you would have gotten... that's going to cause a lot of resentment... which is why the plaintiffs will probably prevail in this case.

“Using publicly released reports, we examine the preferences Harvard gives for recruited athletes, legacies, those on the dean’s interest list, and children of faculty and staff (ALDCs). Among white admits, over 43% are ALDC. Among admits who are African American, Asian American, and Hispanic, the share is less than 16% each. Our model of admissions shows that roughly three quarters of white ALDC admits would have been rejected if they had been treated as white non-ALDCs. Removing preferences for athletes and legacies would significantly alter the racial distribution of admitted students, with the share of white admits falling and all other groups rising or remaining unchanged.”

Hmmmm... this sounds like a fairly dishonest statistic. You might have a better case if you broke it down BY each of the four categories. But there's a simple enough solution to this. Get rid of all of these. Just go to test scores and GPA, period, and let the chips fall where they may. Problem solved. Athletic Scholarships are a relic of a bygone age when physical fitness was considered part of a good education, and has been largely corrupted by BS like Title IX where you have transgenders taking girl's scholarships that only exist because the government mandates them. So chuck it all. Take the 1600 smartest kids, and if they are all white and Asian, so be it.

Frankly, I didn't get into an Ivy League school, I went to a state college and I had to join the military to pay for it, so I just can't get horribly upset by ANYONE fucking whining "I didn't get into Harvard because of (insert excuse here.) "

Way too white.

R.cd189192e55bd244c34e9d3579916d1d

;)

Actually, what Asian do is work hard and don't whine, and it works just fine for them. They also don't put up race pimps like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton as leaders.

You miss the point entirely. Asians would be a HIGHER percentage of the admissions IF we went ONLY by test scores and GPA. To get the levels of blacks and Hispanics to "woke" levels, you have to take a black with lower scores over an Asian with higher scores.

Now, of course anyone even being considered for Harvard is pretty darned good. And you can make the argument that given the outsized influence schools like Harvard have in business and government, that they need to be more representative.

But the underlying problem with this is that if you worked hard, busted your ass, and you still have someone who didn't get as good of grades or test scores get a slot you would have gotten... that's going to cause a lot of resentment... which is why the plaintiffs will probably prevail in this case.

Hmmmm... this sounds like a fairly dishonest statistic. You might have a better case if you broke it down BY each of the four categories. But there's a simple enough solution to this. Get rid of all of these. Just go to test scores and GPA, period, and let the chips fall where they may. Problem solved. Athletic Scholarships are a relic of a bygone age when physical fitness was considered part of a good education, and has been largely corrupted by BS like Title IX where you have transgenders taking girl's scholarships that only exist because the government mandates them. So chuck it all. Take the 1600 smartest kids, and if they are all white and Asian, so be it.

Frankly, I didn't get into an Ivy League school, I went to a state college and I had to join the military to pay for it, so I just can't get horribly upset by ANYONE fucking whining "I didn't get into Harvard because of (insert excuse here.) "
He doesn't miss the point he IGNORES it, he claims percentages don't mean anything in every other thread then suddenly in this one JUST for his point they matter.

He doesn't miss the point he IGNORES it, he claims percentages don't mean anything in every other thread then suddenly in this one JUST for his point they matter.

Well, as Benjamin Disraeli might have said, "mendacity comes in three forms- lies, damned lies and statistics."

The ironic thing is, I don't have a problem with Affirmative Action in principle. If we are going to give elite schools an outsized influence in our public culture, then they need to be more representative. Any kid who is even being CONSIDERED for Harvard is probably pretty exceptional.

What annoys me about IM2 and Paul is that they try to pretend that preferences aren't happening.

Well, as Benjamin Disraeli might have said, "mendacity comes in three forms- lies, damned lies and statistics."

The ironic thing is, I don't have a problem with Affirmative Action in principle. If we are going to give elite schools an outsized influence in our public culture, then they need to be more representative. Any kid who is even being CONSIDERED for Harvard is probably pretty exceptional.

What annoys me about IM2 and Paul is that they try to pretend that preferences aren't happening.
As soon as the Government admits it is discrimination they lose every court case doesnt matter WHY they discriminate.

Asians aren't discriminated against for blacks when there are 10 percent more Asians than blacks admitted.
Let me be more explicit in my argument, since you haven't addressed it. Harvard is a selective school that selects based on, among other things, academic accomplishment. In the US, Asians on average have significantly higher academic accomplishments than blacks (or whites or Native Americans or Latinos). As such, it is possible for them to be admitted at higher rates than Blacks even if Harvard discriminates against Asians, in the sense that certain Asian applicants would not be admitted when their applications are otherwise identical to ones that would earn admission for black applicants.

And, indeed, that seems to be what is happening. Harvard admits their black applicants have, on average, lower academic achievement than their Asian ones. They just claim it's because the Asians have bad personalities. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, they discriminate structurally against Asians even before they pretend to measure their personalities.

As soon as the Government admits it is discrimination they lose every court case doesnt matter WHY they discriminate.

Try to pay attention here, buddy. This is about Harvard, which is not "the government". It's a private institution.

Let me be more explicit in my argument, since you haven't addressed it. Harvard is a selective school that selects based on, among other things, academic accomplishment. In the US, Asians on average have significantly higher academic accomplishments than blacks (or whites or Native Americans or Latinos). As such, it is possible for them to be admitted at higher rates than Blacks even if Harvard discriminates against Asians, in the sense that certain Asian applicants would not be admitted when their applications are otherwise identical to ones that would earn admission for black applicants.

And, indeed, that seems to be what is happening. Harvard admits their black applicants have, on average, lower academic achievement than their Asian ones. They just claim it's because the Asians have bad personalities. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, they discriminate structurally against Asians even before they pretend to measure their personalities.

Fair enough.

But as stated, ANYONE being considered for Harvard is pretty exceptional.

So the question is, do you just take the top performers, or do you try to strike a balance? Because elite schools like Harvard have an outsized influence on business and government, that would require them to have diversity. Otherwise it becomes a case of perpetuating racism.

I wonder why lil’ im.2 always creates long-winded OP’s focusing on race and racism and but never ever considers focusing that discussion on racism against others by some black people?

There is an ongoing lawsuit to be heard by the SCOTUS. See: Asian Americans’ Supreme Court case against Harvard affirmative-action ropes in Biden administration

I hazard the guess that the evidence of discrimination against Asian students will be found to be unacceptable and that it will be determined to be largely (if not fully) caused by so-called “Affirmative Action.”

That will be a much anticipated decision and this thread will take on a very different hue at such time.

What you don't agree with is irrelevant and this IS a capitalist system,. But the fact of this topic is that Asians aren't being excluded for blacks and less qualified whites get preferences to get into Harvard.
So what? Why should I care about that when people like you are trying to take money from people like me just because we have a different color of skin? Sounds about as racist as if I were trying to take things from you due to your skin color.

What you are ignoring is that Harvard is a private school and is funded by fees, donations and an accumulated war chest of past donations. Those unqualified whites have the ultimate qualification, they have money. Their parents are the ones making donations to the school. Those donations pay for the scholarships that allow poor people of all colors to attend Harvard.

That's not particularly true, but you seem to ignore this:

In OpEds and articles critical of the media's coverage of the crimes, some have taken to insisting that the lion's share of the anti-Asian attacks have been perpetrated by African-American youths, based on a few widely-circulated videos on social media. These articles argue that the media has engaged in subterfuge to protect the racial identity of the assailants. "It is simply a fact that the demographic disproportionately most likely to commit hate crimes is African-American," as Andrew Sullivan put it.

The problem is, this just isn't true.

One recent study has provided the justification for the claim that non-whites where the majority of perpetrators of Asian-American hate crimes. The study was published in the American Journal of Criminal Justice in January, and it was based on data from 1992-2014. But the study clearly indicates that the identities of the perpetrators of hate crimes against Asian-Americans are overwhelmingly white: 74.6 percent of these crimes are committed by white assailants. Importantly, according to the methodology in the study, there is a ~20-fold difference in the cases of hate crimes reported against African-Americans (5,463) compared to Asian-Americans (329), which explains the large difference in percentage of non-white assailants by race.

So indelible is the view that the wave is being powered by young Black men that even other videos have failed to make an impact. These have included the recent video in which an elderly Asian-American woman fought off an attacker in San Francisco; a post by Kane Ma, a former Professional Basketball Player, about being attacked by three white men who months later screamed "white people have power" into his face; and the numerous other white people caught on tape harassing and assaulting Asian Americans. All of these have made no impact on the narrative.

Viral images show people of color as anti-Asian perpetrators. That misses the big picture.​

While news reports and social media have perpetuated the idea that anti-Asian violence is committed mostly by people of color, a new analysis shows the majority of attackers are white.

Janelle Wong, a professor of American Studies at the University of Maryland, College Park, released analysis last week that drew on previously published studies on anti-Asian bias. She found official crime statistics and other studies revealed more than three-quarters of offenders of anti-Asian hate crimes and incidents, from both before and during the pandemic, have been white, contrary to many of the images circulating online.

Beyond the Headlines
Review of National Anti-Asian Hate Incident Reporting/Data Collection Published over 2019-2021

This article was written by your typical overly woke super liberal who will defend the good name of blacks even as they're stabbing her to death because she's asian.. There are 200 million white ppl living in America. I'd be shocked and surprised if they didn't make up the majority of anti asian hate crimes here compared with any other racial group. That one was not hard to figure out. But with that said, the data is actually from 1992 to 2014. What about data from 2020 till now? Anti asian hate is up 339% nationwide and the reason why blacks are being "overly reported" in these incidents is because they have literally taken to killing asians and attacking the elderly to justify their racism. This isn't some case of discrimination by a white person, which is probably what makes up most of their anti asian hate crimes stats in that 75%. Those aren't going to make the news. Murder and elder assault will, no matter who the race of the perpetrator is. When there's video of a black person killing an elderly asian man when he's just doing his daily walk, or another black man curb stomping and killing another elderly asian while he's picking up cans, it will be "overly reported." But even then police will often not jump to call these hate incidents, thus affecting stats for anti asian hate crimes by blacks to be less than they actually are. Couple that with the fact that they may not even be reported. Meanwhile a group of black teens attacked a hasidic jew recently and it's automatically a hate crime by police.

Most blacks aren't committing these crimes but what seems to be endemic is that black community as a whole pretty much ignores it or makes excuses for it or tries to cover it up, like you're doing now. I would even go so far as to say that the majority might even support it. I've been to one board where it's majority black ppl because it's basetball related and the amount of anti asian hate there is through the roof, lol.

Forum List

Back