As of 2022, Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming

Only 11 states actually levy a tax on Social Security benefits

I certainty can see this. I don't think any states should tax SS benefits.
-----------------------------------------------------

Texas doesn't have a state tax because we are one of the "producing" states, and generate enough state money from that.
Beef, eggs, chickens, shrimp, catfish, corn, potatoes, beans, manure, and we have NASA.
Beef, eggs, chickens, shrimp, catfish, corn, potatoes, beans, manure

So most have higher prices for shopping.

property taxes

South Dakota's property taxes make up for it. Mine jumped by about 40% when I moved from Washington.

But then a smart poster here mentioned that I might qualify for a Veteran's discount, as my late husband served and died of a service connected illness. If that poster reads this, please give yourself a pat on the back and a warm hug from a Veteran's widow. I looked into it and am getting an exemption of approximately 75%, retroactive to when I bought my home here. I apologize for not remembering which poster I had this conversation with, but I owe ya!

what do they do for money.

----------------------------------------------------
Do they depend on IRS for money?
Only 2 states in that list offer substantial savings. The rest you have to be a high earner in the top 5% to save enough on income taxes to offset how expensive other things are.

I live in one of the 2 and save shit tons of money on income tax as a high earner. Then I save shit tons more on other things. Lower property taxes. Dirt cheap power and insurance costs. Gobs of food is grown here plus free food from Federal lands, rivers and the nearby ocean.

Conversely property taxes in Texas are sky high, 3x what I pay. Ditto for New Hampshire. Florida only looks inexpensive, the utility and insurance costs are through the roof and easily what the average taxpayer might pay in income tax in other states.

Total cost analysis tells a different story.

Only 11 states actually levy a tax on Social Security benefits

I certainty can see this. I don't think any states should tax SS benefits.
-----------------------------------------------------
I think authoritarian vaxxers should be taxed heavily for being stupid.

In Washington...........income is about the only thing they don't tax or add some kind of 'fee'. Depending on County, near or over 10% sales tax on everything except food. You have to have a permit for alot of activities that you have to pay for that can get costly. Lots of stuff.

Forum List

Back