Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Sewed a lot of the 9-patch froggie squares for the second quilt, and am thinking about getting back to the first quilt now and nailing a completion this fine day. Oh, goodness, I forgot I have to go get bird feed. They ate 100 pounds in the last week, or better. They give us such beauty and song, and they're eager for spring, I think. :)

This better not turn into another butterfly project ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just before lunch, I got all jazzed about the next quilt, which will be a single Irish Chain using some cute froggie light background overall. Here are the 3 sample quilt squares that got completed before we left for nearby Denny's. I was proud of my husband for settling on a diabetic-friendly lunch of their avocado and chicken salad. We each saved little pieces of chicken for Miss Music the small black lab who is still our puppy after 5 years. :)

You probably will have to click on the thumbnails to see the little froggies.

I'm only making mockup squares to keep the fever up to get quilts done. I have to do the Paddy's red pinwheel quilts tomorrow from getting into the Single Irish Chain, but I can't wait, I'm telling yas! :)

A couple years ago, I had a little frog that lived in the water in the plastic container under one of my massive ferns. I took a pic of him, but I have no idea which folder that pic is in. If I could find it I would post it for you.

Here you go. Here's the little frog who escaped the hot dry weather of 2012 by living under my fern. With the regular watering I did he was sitting pretty! I won't have many plants this year. I don't really feel much like caring for them.

I've been crocheting like crazy, working on a mermaid tail. I got the body of the tail done last night, tonight will start on the fins...

I'm also trying to bust out a granny square that I really like..but the pattern is cattywompus so I'm having difficulty with it. Finally got the third row to come out, but have no idea what to do for the fourth...

I've been running across crocheted afghans that look like QUILTS! They're amazing!

1_2D00_DSC05438.JPG
Granny square..I think I've finally got it figured out.

Wedding-ring-quilt-crochet-pattern-red-heart.jpg

Here you go. Here's the little frog who escaped the hot dry weather of 2012 by living under my fern. With the regular watering I did he was sitting pretty! I won't have many plants this year. I don't really feel much like caring for them.

Thanks, Sunshine, he's a cutie. :smiliehug:

I've been crocheting like crazy, working on a mermaid tail. I got the body of the tail done last night, tonight will start on the fins...

I'm also trying to bust out a granny square that I really like..but the pattern is cattywompus so I'm having difficulty with it. Finally got the third row to come out, but have no idea what to do for the fourth...

I've been running across crocheted afghans that look like QUILTS! They're amazing!
So glad you're back, koshergrl. :smiliehug:

OK. I'll bite. Why do you need a mermaid's tail?

Today, we had to get stones to place on Touch's grave, heart worm pills for Miss Music, replacing a credit card that was cancelled just because I get my husband's prescription drugs at Target, etc. It's different when you have to really watch the family budget, which my husband had done for 42 years. I feel like such a novice, but maybe not having credit for a couple of months did me good, because when all your transactions are cash, you can really see the spill if the electricity bill comes out $100 for the well and $500 for the farmhouse in ultra cold weather. Hopefully, I will get used to it, but his dementia is getting more and more unpredictable. I finally had to hide his car keys when he was gone for 5 hours on a joy ride while I paced the floor, because he didn't tell me before he went wandering. He also misplaced $300. of the cash we were forced to use on account of the credit card. Even with that kind of a loss, it was a good experience to have to pay attention to the cash flow, because it gives me something to work on fixing. It's funny how when the responsibilities fall to you, you may flounder at first but you do get better at it. He seems to understand that I will be the driver, because he now automatically goes to the passenger side. He was giving some kind of a lecture while driving a few weeks ago. It's the first time he's ever showed evidence I can understand as well as his accurate math answers that are instant and on the money. The only trouble is, his whispering is unintelligible when he goes through the lecture routine, but he seems to enjoy it, so it's okay.

Well, all that driving made me sleepy early, and I just ran out of rep a while ago anyway, so think I'll call it a day. Sorry there's nothing to report. Except my keys on the computer are sticking badly, so if there are errors, don't be surprised.

Good night, and it's so good to see Sunshine and Koshergrl back at the quilt thread.

Love to all. In your prayers, thank God that you can still think, that you can still reach out to others, that you are loved by Him every day you live. When you are tired, may you have refreshing sleep and a better day tomorrow. That's my prayer for everyone, except don't let the bedbugs bite! :)
becki

OK. I'll bite. Why do you need a mermaid's tail?
So glad you posted that, Sunshine, I wondered the same thing, but I'm half asleep tonight after losing a night's sleep day before yesterday. My husband roamed all night long around the house without his car keys.

My daughter is performing in "The Little mermaid Jr. ' musical this year...her director has a 7 month old daughter, and I'm crocheting her a mermaid costume....

I will post a pic later of a fiished one...

Have I not posted pics of the grandboy yet? I can't keep track...Here he is in the coccoon and hat I did, he hated the hat, which is immense. But I absolutely love the hand of this light and lofty stuff:

072_zps527f8aaf.jpg

I'm also working on a houndstooth infinity scarf. I'm almost finished, but have had to put it aside so I can finish the mermaid costume before curtain time next month:

009_zpsa988434f.jpg

My daughter is performing in "The Little mermaid Jr. ' musical this year...her director has a 7 month old daughter, and I'm crocheting her a mermaid costume....

I will post a pic later of a fiished one...

Have I not posted pics of the grandboy yet? I can't keep track...Here he is in the coccoon and hat I did, he hated the hat, which is immense. But I absolutely love the hand of this light and lofty stuff:

072_zps527f8aaf.jpg

I'm also working on a houndstooth infinity scarf. I'm almost finished, but have had to put it aside so I can finish the mermaid costume before curtain time next month:

009_zpsa988434f.jpg

So cute!

Well guess who else in the family likes butterflies==my son.

And he needs some TLC lately, having lost 2 jobs in the last year, so I'm sending the butterfly quilt top to him when it's finished. *sigh*

Sometimes Our families are needy, too. Even though they may drive you crazy with their decisions, you still can't stop loving and caring for them, including my dear son.

The wannabe Monarch butterfly was improperly designed, so I turned it into a fantasy black and orange mutant ninja butterfly. <giggle>

Here's the "progress" if you want to call it that. I'm using a running stitch as a color filler that won't be too bad, I hope. I'm including a monarch, which shows the truth of the lines, which I failed to recall perfectly or even imperfectly...and an Australian Painted Lady butterfly to show diversity. I'm pretty sure the butterfly I came up with exists only in the threads I sewed. :lol:

Attachments

• $Butterfly 12.jpg
    $Butterfly 12.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 51
  • $01 A Monarch Butterfly.jpg
    $01 A Monarch Butterfly.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 54
  • $25 MBBOE Australian Painted Lady Vanessa kershaw2.jpg
    $25 MBBOE Australian Painted Lady Vanessa kershaw2.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 69
The Irish Chain with froggies quilt was finished first this morning. I just couldn't put it down. I was in love with the silly cute froggie fabric, plus for some reason, it touched off an obsession factor in me I didn't know existed! :lol:

Hope the little child who gets this one likes it as much as I do. :D

I'm adding a couple more shots of the center areas. it's about 42x55-or something, give or take a couple of inches.

Attachments

• $Single Irish 23 finished2 3.14.2014.jpg
    $Single Irish 23 finished2 3.14.2014.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 47
  • $Single Irish 23 finished3 3.14.2014.jpg
    $Single Irish 23 finished3 3.14.2014.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 49
  • $Single Irish 23 finished4 3.14.2014.jpg
    $Single Irish 23 finished4 3.14.2014.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 47
This shows the large light areas between the 9-patch squares that form the chain. Seems I may have posted a quilt that was neutrally similar to this one on the preceding page.

I salute the Irish and thank them for coming up with something as fun as Irish celebrations of St. Patrick's Day for everyone to enjoy!

Erin go braugh!

Attachments

• $Single Irish 23 finished142x60  3.14.2014.jpg
    $Single Irish 23 finished142x60 3.14.2014.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 49
  • $Single Irish 23 finished6 3.14.2014.jpg
    $Single Irish 23 finished6 3.14.2014.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 51
  • $Single Irish 23 finished5 3.14.2014.jpg
    $Single Irish 23 finished5 3.14.2014.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 51
Paddy's Red Pinwheel was also finished this morning, right after the Single Irish Chain Frog quilt.

When the flowers bloom, they bloom! :lol:

There's another page to this quilt as well. I like to show all 4 corners when I finish a quilt. This one was longer than the Single Irish Chain because the blocks before setting sashes were 15.5 inches square, and there were 6 of them. It's just short of 60 inches long (58 or 59)

Attachments

• 107.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 105.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 106 KB · Views: 59

Forum List

Back