Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Well I made (it's not quite finished needs ties or elastic in back) the mermaid outfit coronet...it's like a crocheted wonderwoman coronet with a starfish instead of whatever jewel wonderwoman has (if she evenn has a jewel)

Then between doing for kids and taking pics, i worked all day on a stupid seashell conch thing and I never have figured it out. It's starting to tick me off like the stupid daisy granny square where the math was off. C'MON, YOU'RE COUNTING STITCHES! Get it right, for pete's said. That's why we BUY those stupid patterns!!!!!

Anyway, that's my rant. Kids are doing great, grandbabies are beautiful...calling the baby "Little Brother" which is a pretty good name. oh my goodness he's cute! We made him model the mermaid outfit, looks pretty good to me! Might have to adjust the bikini top, lol... the baby is 8 months and he's only 6 weeks...

Dogs are going okay, and now it's time for bed for me. Klaus needs steroids but i don't dare until we get rid of the extra dogs in teh house...poor snoop is sort of being quarantined BUT in good news, my son is finally okay with me getting him neutered! Should make like at least a little easier....

Love to all and to all a good night.

Hope to see a picture of the coronet. Bet it's cute! ;)

needs more seastars and perhaps shells but I CAN'T SEEM TO MASTER TEH STUPID SEASHELL PATTERN though I actually paid foR IT> Still working on that...
013_zps2214699a.jpg

Sorry on this computer the edit function on photosucket takes FOREVER so I didn't rotate the images that are cattywampus.

Thought I would drop in and say hello to my friends. Beckums, I've finished the pattern on the tablecloth and only have the border to do. Will post a pick when I can.

Sorry on this computer the edit function on photosucket takes FOREVER so I didn't rotate the images that are cattywampus.

They're adorable, koshergrl. Right now, I've finished the center area of a quilt that I used Marti Michelle's tessellating windmills template on, except I had to sew strips of fabric to 4-inch leftovers for the first two and just continued on, trying to use fabrics with a similar scale.

Unfortunately, my son unplugged and used my scanner on his visit here right after my accident, and somehow, I can't scan, and all my pictures disappeared. When he put the pictures back, his system messed up my ability to procure images from the net.

So now, no pictures from anywhere and I can't even scan my blocks now until he fixes it or tells me what to do. He's so good with computers, he has a hard time communicating with monkey-see, monkey do users like me. :lol:

The 4 blocks I did are about 18"x18" and I'm contemplating doing 2 more. The last 4 took a week, and it's so silly, because from start to finish, the first two were done in short order. I'm so picky, I had to go to 3 different shops to try and find fabrics the same scale with light backgrounds, then I just sewed them together without thinking about anything but the windmill that formed at the junction of the 4 squares, so the 2 lightest are adjacent and the 2 dark grounds are adjacent instead of alternating...

*sigh*

So much for froggies and camels and elks and other juvenile prints with scales of about 7/8 of an inch, give or take a quarter inch.

Thought I would drop in and say hello to my friends. Beckums, I've finished the pattern on the tablecloth and only have the border to do. Will post a pick when I can.
Can't wait! Congratulations on getting the big part done! :woohoo:

And good luck finishing the border. It's gonna be a knockout! :)

Prayer list for Koshergrl finding a new home (from reading around here), continuing to pray for Sunshine for many more good days than bad; and for Mrs. Bloodrock44 to overcome her issues as she has been to the emergency room twice in the last month, and also for Bloodrock, who's been a great supporter of this thread in the past. Prayers up for all USMB members who need them. :smiliehug:

My progress in the sewing room has been not very good. I'm spending almost all my time doing my husband's chores, poorly most likely, but trying the best I can. He told me he picked up his medicine when I sent him back in Target last week, and yesterday, they called me asking why I hadn't picked up his medicine. :rolleyes:

People with dementia have been known to deflect a little to avoid doing what has to be done, and this is not only silly, he gets combative about diaper changes when he doesn't take his medicine. I have to get dressed and go to the pharmacy now. When I get back, I have to finish working on the fence before I get back to my little quilt tops. Oh, I miss sewing so much. I'm trying to cut corners by cooking all our meals now, so when he doesn't take his meds, he also munches the sugars away, which isn't a good idea for borderline diabetics like him.

Oh, the chimes of time. :rolleyes:

Hope everyone is having a better week than me, that Kgrl gets situated in a veritable dream home, that Sunshine has sunny days, and that Mrs. B is diagnosed and fixed so she won't be hurting or suffering in any way. Might as well wish for Peace on Earth. We're long due for that thousand year millennium of peace everywhere.

And a huge thanks to Mr. H. for his support of this thread in unseen ways. :)

Last edited:
I haven't found anything yet but this is play week, so we are consumed by THEATRE from morning to night.

Love you, Becki et al...

I haven't found anything yet but this is play week, so we are consumed by THEATRE from morning to night.

Love you, Becki et al...

Thanks, kgrl. It's about that time for schools to culminate their language arts skills in plays the month before school is out so they can save the last couple of weeks for hopping on the bus and taking all the we-can't-wait-till-summer-vacation crowd to museums to let them enjoy the arts and crafts, nature's birds and butterflies, zoos, spring festivals, and sometimes, college stage productions. In the ninth grade, I attended a school in West Texas that had a sum total of 50 kids from 9th to 12th grade, and we went to a camp on the Guadalupe River they rented each year from the Presbyterian Church. I'm thinking it was Mo Ranch, but can't be for sure. Anyway, we learned water safety and sports, did nature hikes and learned about geological formations, and 101 things you'd never do in school. It was a blast, and especially we had a great fun time, even with chaperones everywhere. Back then, it was so different from today. We were more like third or forth graders than high-schoolers. I just remember having the time of my life, and it seemed like everyone else did, too. :)

It's been disappointing not to be able to work on a postage stamp quilt this year, but I still have the yen. I decided "Somewhere, someone loves postage stamp quilts as much as me, and I'm going to find their gallery. Well, there is a gallery at a place called "flickr", and here's their Postage Stamp Quilt Gallery: LINK

And I thought this quilt was the living end for planning:

Until I saw this quilt that I was certain took half a lifetime, at least:

Not to mention several other master works. Even the totally scrappy and uneven ones were wonderful, and one lady did something I've only thought of doing (in a different way) by using tiny rectangles, which of course, most real postage stamps are rather than being square:

Just a taste with thanks to the wonderful, prolific quilting people who use flickr to share their gorgeous creations with the rest of us.

Love you, Becki et al...

Thanks, kgrl. It's about that time for schools to culminate their language arts skills in plays the month before school is out so they can save the last couple of weeks for hopping on the bus and taking all the we-can't-wait-till-summer-vacation crowd to museums to let them enjoy the arts and crafts, nature's birds and butterflies, zoos, spring festivals, and sometimes, college stage productions. In the ninth grade, I attended a school in West Texas that had a sum total of 50 kids from 9th to 12th grade, and we went to a camp on the Guadalupe River they rented each year from the Presbyterian Church. I'm thinking it was Mo Ranch, but can't be for sure. Anyway, we learned water safety and sports, did nature hikes and learned about geological formations, and 101 things you'd never do in school. It was a blast, and especially we had a great fun time, even with chaperones everywhere. Back then, it was so different from today. We were more like third or forth graders than high-schoolers. I just remember having the time of my life, and it seemed like everyone else did, too. :)

That sounds absolutely wonderful. We didn't do summer camp last year but this is going to be a year for it for my kids, too. I know the girl wants to return to a Christian horse camp that she went to a couple of years ago, and loved. My son has never gone to camp before, and we're still trying to find a good pick for him. He'd be perfect for day camps but the only day camps we have that are easily accessible for us are the theatre camps, and he's not that into theatre....

Newport has a wonderful day camp series out of the Oregon Coast Aquarium..but that is like 45 miles away...not doable for us, since you have to drop off/pick up.

Love you, Becki et al...

That sounds absolutely wonderful. We didn't do summer camp last year but this is going to be a year for it for my kids, too. I know the girl wants to return to a Christian horse camp that she went to a couple of years ago, and loved. My son has never gone to camp before, and we're still trying to find a good pick for him. He'd be perfect for day camps but the only day camps we have that are easily accessible for us are the theatre camps, and he's not that into theatre....

Newport has a wonderful day camp series out of the Oregon Coast Aquarium..but that is like 45 miles away...not doable for us, since you have to drop off/pick up.
There's a boy scout camp named Camp Strake my brother went to that is way north of Houston, and it's still there. I think (but am not certain) it is located near I-45 a little south of Conroe Texas, at the Camp Strake exit. Oh, yes, there are week-long camps in Oregon in the Cascades, where my son went the summer he was in the eighth or ninth grade. Oregon has the most beautiful mountains in the world, imho. They're full of springs, rivers, creeks, birds, berries, and just every delightful wildflower in the world. I hope you find a good one. Ours was church-related, and each year, the parents of the children in that church saw to it that at least 20 kids went to it. We had some very generous people for anyone who couldn't afford to send kids, and there was always a "scholarship" for anyone whose parents needed help sending them there. There's nothing like the Oregonian Cascades anywhere I've ever seen.

We are doubly blessed because even if we don't do camp, we have wonderful places to swim...within walking distance for the kids when they're a little older.

Starting younger than my daughter, when I was a girl, I used to swim in a seasonal dunes lake just a couple of blocks from my house. We didn't have a public pool, so on *hot* days I could grab my bestie and a couple of towels, and we had beautiful warm sand and water all to ourselves.

And when we got older, we'd camp in the woods around the lake. We'd pick a place, build a tiny fire, roll out our sleeping bags on the moss and sand, and we were set.

Last edited:
We are doubly blessed because even if we don't do camp, we have wonderful places to swim...within walking distance for the kids when they're a little older.

Starting younger than my daughter, when I was a girl, I used to swim in a seasonal dunes lake just a couple of blocks from my house. We didn't have a public pool, so on *hot* days I could grab my bestie and a couple of towels, and we had beautiful warm sand and water all to ourselves.

And when we got older, we'd camp in the woods around the lake. We'd pick a place, build a tiny fire, roll out our sleeping bags on the moss and sand, and we were set.

Memory lane can be so warm... :thup:

charlene%27s+camp+quilt.JPG

Last edited:
002_zps658f02fe.jpg

Finally finished it. I was going to make some white sea shell adornments but the pattern I had was giving me fits so I just made do.....I see toes on that mermaid! Next time I make one, I'll make a liner to go with.

I just noticed..she has it on backwards so you can't see the detail of the fins, lol.

Forum List

Back