Armed Teachers...

Was Robb Elementary School known to be unsafe? Not even a little bit. It's the kind of school that you, as a parent, would look at and say "Yeah, I'd send my kid here." And then some whackjob shows up with a gun and starts shooting.

Columbine High School wasn't know to be unsafe at all. Santana High School was one of the better high schools in San Diego County. Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School had a reputation as a good school with relatively few problems. Yet, children at these schools were denied the right to their childhoods because of someone who went through their schools unchallenged.

A teacher with a gun may have been able to secure those children their childhoods...
I am not American and I can see you have a problem with guns and schools and I do understand that you cannot say this school is safe and this school is not. We had one shooting in a school in Dunblane and that pretty much took all the guns away which weren't needed. No one would have expected that of Dunblane. I don't think there has been another since.

I just find it horrific that you have become a country where the shooting of children at school has become a norm. I hope the people of the US act to change that and that that change is one that does not necessitate more and more guns interfering with the right of children to a safe and free childhood.

I am not American and I can see you have a problem with guns and schools and I do understand that you cannot say this school is safe and this school is not. We had one shooting in a school in Dunblane and that pretty much took all the guns away which weren't needed. No one would have expected that of Dunblane. I don't think there has been another since.

I just find it horrific that you have become a country where the shooting of children at school has become a norm. I hope the people of the US act to change that and that that change is one that does not necessitate more and more guns interfering with the right of children to a safe and free childhood.
It's not the norm. People shooting each other in the streets is the norm.

It's estimated that over 80 million Americans own guns.

School shootings aren't the norm. People not exacting violence on anyone is the norm. School shootings are the anomaly...

Guns in the situation are like a smoke detector and sprinkler system. You hope to hell you never need them, but should a fire happen your damn glad they are there.

Some being armed as a precaution shouldn't even be argued now. Those who don't want a gun will not be forced to have them. Those willing should be given Free training and MONEY....as an INCREASE IN PAY FOR IT.........And that would be the cheapest way to offer some sort of protection.

Doesn't mean we will know when the time comes it will win or lose...........but just the fact that schools have armed teachers will give a shooter pause to target it.

It's not rocket science............and it's not complicated........But the LEFT IS LOUD OVER IT..........

Because they Don't REALLY CARE ABOUT THOSE KIDS.........they want the guns..........and that is all they care about.

School shootings aren't the norm. People not exacting violence on anyone is the norm. School shootings are the anomaly...
We carried guns in our trucks to school a long time ago. In Elementary school I stayed after for NRA training with guns........Was a Safety Training class and got to shoot BB's at first then 22 LR later...........We got awards and stuff and we didn't have what we have today.

The break down of the family, morals, ethics in this country is causing this.............and the fact the dollar is dying and our country is in decline. We are now facing what brought down the USSR as our Reserver currency status will soon be over.................It will get worse.

It's not the norm. People shooting each other in the streets is the norm.

I can see how you would think that living with it but from the outside one shooting is a shock but when they keep coming, police are brought into schools and then people want teachers to have guns as well because the idea of a gunman, woman or child coming into the school and killing people has become an accepted part of American life. That is why I am calling it a norm and I think I am correct in that though I do accept it does not happen every day. Every day however is a preparation in case it happens. That is children's norm now.

I can see how you would think that living with it but from the outside one shooting is a shock but when they keep coming, police are brought into schools and then people want teachers to have guns as well because the idea of a gunman, woman or child coming into the school and killing people has become an accepted part of American life. That is why I am calling it a norm and I think I am correct in that though I do accept it does not happen every day. Every day however is a preparation in case it happens. That is children's norm now.

It's not the norm. The fact of the matter is that a fraction of a percentage of American children will ever be affected by a school shooting.

You can think you're correct all you want, but you're not.

By the way, my daughter and I visited Edinburgh three years ago. Gorgeous country you have yourself there...

With our population the chances that it happens in your school is minimal..........It's not that large.........it's just HYPED TO HELL AND BACK NOW..........

There are too many schools to turn them into fortress America ..............That is not feasible............so some simple training and a few armed in the schools is the ONLY VIABLE CHEAPEST SOLUTION............

Those few may be the difference between a slaughtered classroom or a dead shooter next time...........Each State and local community should decide this. And fund it themselves.

I would have no problem locally even though my kids are no longer in school to pay for this in school. Not MAKE THEM..........for the teachers to decide what simple measures they can deal with and think tank solutions......................That way we don't step on their toes.

We have proven that a 'last line of defense' is needed. That would be an armed teacher in the classroom with the kids. The kids greatest fear is that no one will protect them, and sadly their teachers have confirmed this to them.

The break down of the family, morals, ethics in this country is causing this.............and the fact the dollar is dying and our country is in decline. We are now facing what brought down the USSR as our Reserver currency status will soon be over.................It will get worse.
The dollar will be fine. The inflation was caused by Biden pushing too much stimulus during the pandemic. The Federal Reserve will quickly get it back under control, although doing so will cost us a recession.

Actually you did nothing to prevent massacres. All you guys did was give up your freedom for no reason at all.

No change that matches your description exists. The only thing that will change it is more guns to protect the kids.

The dollar will be fine. The inflation was caused by Biden pushing too much stimulus during the pandemic. The Federal Reserve will quickly get it back under control, although doing so will cost us a recession.
Look at the back door of Russia. They are now trading oil outside the dollar. We will eventually lose the reserve currency status.

It's not the norm. The fact of the matter is that a fraction of a percentage of American children will ever be affected by a school shooting.

You can think you're correct all you want, but you're not.

By the way, my daughter and I visited Edinburgh three years ago. Gorgeous country you have yourself there...
If all schools have to go through this process then all schools are affected. The kids know what it is for. They know all their childhood that they may be shot at school. Do you never wonder what that makes them think of adults.

With our population the chances that it happens in your school is minimal..........It's not that large.........it's just HYPED TO HELL AND BACK NOW..........

There are too many schools to turn them into fortress America ..............That is not feasible............so some simple training and a few armed in the schools is the ONLY VIABLE CHEAPEST SOLUTION............

Those few may be the difference between a slaughtered classroom or a dead shooter next time...........Each State and local community should decide this. And fund it themselves.

I would have no problem locally even though my kids are no longer in school to pay for this in school. Not MAKE THEM..........for the teachers to decide what simple measures they can deal with and think tank solutions......................That way we don't step on their toes.

Out of interest was your school like that. I just think kids growing up knowing that it is necessary to have security in place to keep them safe is sad. That you need to talk about slaughtered classrooms is sad. I am glad my grand children do not have to go through that. I have also heard it suggested that having police in schools is also not good for children particularly when they arrest them as you send children who have broken the law to prison. If the cops were not in the school the kids could get over their mistake with a detention or something and get on with their lives.

I have also heard it suggested that having police in schools is also not good for children particularly when they arrest them as you send children who have broken the law to prison. If the cops were not in the school the kids could get over their mistake with a detention or something and get on with their lives.
Perhaps private security like the armed security guards in banks. I don't think they have arrest power (although I guess it's not a matter that I've looked into so I could be wrong).

If all schools have to go through this process then all schools are affected.

What "process" are you talking about?

There are over 97,000 public schools in the United States. The overwhelming majority will never be affected by gun violence...

The kids know what it is for. They know all their childhood that they may be shot at school. Do you never wonder what that makes them think of adults.

Well, it is what it is. Yes, we're a society where, sadly, nut-cases can get a hold of a gun and shoot up a school. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, though. To one degree or another, we will always be that society.

Now, you don't think we should arm teachers. Fair enough; I respect that your opinion differs from mine.

What would you suggest be done to combat someone walking through a school shooting at kids? What would you do?

You talked about your grandchildren. If a shooter stepped into your grandchild's classroom intent on killing everyone in the room, wouldn't you want your grandchild's teacher to be in a position to, eprhaps, save your grandchild's life?

What "process" are you talking about?

There are over 97,000 public schools in the United States. The overwhelming majority will never be affected by gun violence...

But do they not all have to go through the process of protecting themselves. You or someone else pointed out you cannot tell who is going to be attacked.
Well, it is what it is. Yes, we're a society where, sadly, nut-cases can get a hold of a gun and shoot up a school. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, though. To one degree or another, we will always be that society.
or you might change ;)

Now, you don't think we should arm teachers. Fair enough; I respect that your opinion differs from mine.

What would you suggest be done to combat someone walking through a school shooting at kids? What would you do?

I would do something about what makes it so easy for them to do it and that is the guns. I understand you needing them in the old days but now you have police. Also in the old days you could not just move it about and several people fall down dead. Obviously the other thing is to look at why people are choosing schools and see if something can be done there.
You talked about your grandchildren. If a shooter stepped into your grandchild's classroom intent on killing everyone in the room, wouldn't you want your grandchild's teacher to be in a position to, eprhaps, save your grandchild's life?
Of course. I just am glad they do not have the stress of any of that. They never think someone would come to their school and kill them. It could happen but it is soo unlikely they do not need to ever think about it. There has not been a situation of copy cat school shooting here and it did come about with the change in guns laws so that very few people now have them. Prior to that we had had several of these shootings of random people on the street. It was becoming not a surprise. Then there was the Dunblane mass murder of primary school children, an almost immediate change in our gun laws, no more school shootings and the end of the random shootings in the street. Well worth it to me. We made the right choice.

Out of interest was your school like that. I just think kids growing up knowing that it is necessary to have security in place to keep them safe is sad. That you need to talk about slaughtered classrooms is sad. I am glad my grand children do not have to go through that. I have also heard it suggested that having police in schools is also not good for children particularly when they arrest them as you send children who have broken the law to prison. If the cops were not in the school the kids could get over their mistake with a detention or something and get on with their lives.
Long ago kids being trained safety on guns was normal here.

Forum List

Back