Ariz. bill requiring resale of buyback guns signed

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
PHOENIX (AP) — Arizona cities and counties that hold community gun buyback events will have to sell the surrendered weapons instead of destroying them under a bill Gov. Jan Brewer signed into law Monday.

The bill was championed by Republicans in the GOP-controlled Legislature who argued that municipalities were skirting a 2010 law that was tightened last year and requires police to sell seized weapons to federally licensed dealers. They argued that destroying property turned over to the government is a waste of taxpayer resources.

Democrats who argued against the bill said it usurps local control and goes against the wishes of people who turn over their unwanted weapons to keep them out of the hands of children or thieves.

Buybacks are popular among some police and elected officials who either pay cash or hand out gift cards in exchange for weapons. Tucson and other Arizona communities destroyed weapons from the events, arguing that because the guns were voluntarily surrendered, the laws concerning weapons seized by authorities didn't apply.

House Bill 2455 prompted a furious debate in the state Senate, where Democrats accused Republicans of complaining about an overbearing federal government but then turning around and dictating policies to local governments.

Brewer's office did not release any signing letter accompanying the announcement of more than 30 bill she signed Monday evening, but the Republican governor is a strong gun-rights supporter and had signed the 2010 and 2012 laws.

PHOENIX (AP) — Arizona cities and counties that hold community gun buyback events will have to sell the surrendered weapons instead of destroying them under a bill Gov. Jan Brewer signed into law Monday.

The bill was championed by Republicans in the GOP-controlled Legislature who argued that municipalities were skirting a 2010 law that was tightened last year and requires police to sell seized weapons to federally licensed dealers. They argued that destroying property turned over to the government is a waste of taxpayer resources.

Democrats who argued against the bill said it usurps local control and goes against the wishes of people who turn over their unwanted weapons to keep them out of the hands of children or thieves.

Buybacks are popular among some police and elected officials who either pay cash or hand out gift cards in exchange for weapons. Tucson and other Arizona communities destroyed weapons from the events, arguing that because the guns were voluntarily surrendered, the laws concerning weapons seized by authorities didn't apply.

House Bill 2455 prompted a furious debate in the state Senate, where Democrats accused Republicans of complaining about an overbearing federal government but then turning around and dictating policies to local governments.

Brewer's office did not release any signing letter accompanying the announcement of more than 30 bill she signed Monday evening, but the Republican governor is a strong gun-rights supporter and had signed the 2010 and 2012 laws.

Finally a government body using it's head. They can take the money and use it for something good. Plus they can make it mandatory that if you buy one of those firearms you have to go through a firearms training course.

Sounds like a local Government imposing it's will over the people if you ask me, if the people selling these guns in buy back programs having full knowledge that they are supposed to be destroyed, but now the State Government says differently.

Sounds like Big Government to me....

Sounds like a local Government imposing it's will over the people if you ask me, if the people selling these guns in buy back programs having full knowledge that they are supposed to be destroyed, but now the State Government says differently.

That's b/c you don't have the ability to think freely. You reacted exactly the way you have been conditioned to react.

Aside from that, they just saved the taxpayer money, and who wouldn't want that.

oh, liberals, sorry for being a free thinker in your mindless rant

That's b/c you don't have the ability to think freely. You reacted exactly the way you have been conditioned to react.

Aside from that, they just saved the taxpayer money, and who wouldn't want that.

Are you speaking about yourself? I can think freely for myself and it's a bunch of baloney when they (the NRA) says it will save the taxpayers money. But if you want to believe in fairy tales, don't let me stop you.

But we'll ignore the will of the people who participate in buy back programs excepting their turned in guns to be destroyed.

Are you speaking about yourself? I can think freely for myself and it's a bunch of baloney when they (the NRA) says it will save the taxpayers money. But if you want to believe in fairy tales, don't let me stop you.

But we'll ignore the will of the people who participate in buy back programs excepting their turned in guns to be destroyed.

ever the parrot

Where does it say; Everyone turned them in 'wanting' the guns to be destroyed.

It doesn't, so, someone thought for you by saying; The will of the people, blah blah, expected them to be destroyed, blah blah

The will of the people is that their money not be wasted, but like I said, liberals support wasting money b/c they can't think for themselves and go; wow, that was a good idea, now other tax money can be spent elsewhere.

Big government is epitomized by gun buy backs.

If a person has a gun and wants to get rid of it then they can sell it to a gun dealer themselves. there is no need to waste tax payer money on such shit.

If a person has a gun and wants to get rid of it then they can sell it to a gun dealer themselves. there is no need to waste tax payer money on such shit.

So you actually believe that it's ONLY taxpayers money involved in gun buy back programs? Then you really need to educate yourself on the subject more and then you might be able to offer up a real opinion.

Wasn't the point of 'buybacks' (silly term) to take firearms out of circulation?

Go destroy your own gun if that's what you want to do. No law against that. Why do you think collecting some tax payer dollars and costing us even more to destroy it a worthy cause? Do it yourself and stop f*cking whining.

How about actually reading the bill?

Arizona-2013-HB2455-Engrossed

What the left is having a hissy fit about
12-945. Sale of property

A. If after thirty days' notice has been given the owner or person entitled to the property has not taken it away, the property may be sold. The proceeds shall be paid to the general fund of the jurisdiction from which the unclaimed property was received.

B. Notwithstanding subsection A of this section, if the property is a firearm, the court shall order the firearm to be sold strike add instead- agency shall sell the firearm to any business that is authorized to receive and dispose of the firearm under federal and state law and that shall sell the firearm to the public according to federal and state law, unless the firearm is otherwise prohibited from being sold under federal and state law. A law enforcement agency may trade a firearm that it has retained to a federal firearms licensed business for ammunition, weapons, equipment or other materials to be exclusively used for law enforcement purposes.

So instead of the Court ordering the selling it is now the Agency who can.

Last edited:
How about actually reading the bill?

Arizona-2013-HB2455-Engrossed

What the left is having a hissy fit about
12-945. Sale of property

A. If after thirty days' notice has been given the owner or person entitled to the property has not taken it away, the property may be sold. The proceeds shall be paid to the general fund of the jurisdiction from which the unclaimed property was received.

B. Notwithstanding subsection A of this section, if the property is a firearm, the court shall order the firearm to be sold strike add instead- agency shall sell the firearm to any business that is authorized to receive and dispose of the firearm under federal and state law and that shall sell the firearm to the public according to federal and state law, unless the firearm is otherwise prohibited from being sold under federal and state law. A law enforcement agency may trade a firearm that it has retained to a federal firearms licensed business for ammunition, weapons, equipment or other materials to be exclusively used for law enforcement purposes.

So instead of the Court ordering the selling it is now the Agency who can.

:clap2:

So instead of the State selling the arm to a citizen, they now sell it to a dealer, who intends to resell.

Seems they make the same amount of money but save on red tape.

So you actually believe that it's ONLY taxpayers money involved in gun buy back programs? Then you really need to educate yourself on the subject more and then you might be able to offer up a real opinion.

Yeah OK the town officials, the cops and everyone else put up their own money to buy back guns right?

BTW who pays the cops to collect the guns, who pays for their destruction etc.

Unless you can prove that the entire costs of these stupid gun buy programs comes from private funds and absolutely no tax payer money is spent on them you have no argument.

Anyone can bring a gun to a scrapyard and have it destroyed. You fail.

Forum List

Back