Are there ANY trustworthy news sources left anymore?

Longknife -

Blogs do not have editorial standards. Real newspapers do.

Everything I write gets read before it is published, and facts checked if they need to be checked.

It's not about being left wing or right wing, it's about having standards - and blogs don't.

There are dozens of excellent news sources.

The problem is not the sources - it is the people who consider 'news' = 'what I believe'.

Approach news with a slightly more open mind, and it isn't a major issue at all. People should also be big enough to admit that, 'Ok, I guess I'm kinda left wing - so probably Fox isn't for me'. That shouldn't be seen as a criticism of Fox.

^^^ That is fucking bullshit. The sources are the problem. When you have media outlets like CNN deliberately misrepresenting factual information - which is then picked up and repeated as 'fact' by other outlets, there is a fundamental problem with our sources. That is why I do not rely on any one source and I certainly disregard the mainstream media - both left and right.

Generally, if anyone reviews those who post 'facts' from any media source, the combined IQ of those posters would struggle to reach room temperature. In short, stupid people rely on the media to feed them information.

Longknife -

Everything I write gets read before it is published, and facts checked if they need to be checked.

It's not about being left wing or right wing, it's about having standards - and blogs don't.

That is not true either. It depends on the blog home as to it's editorial standards - granted I don't know of one US media outlet that applies journalistic standards to its bloggers, but there are several in the UK, France, Canada, Australia, and several other countries.

You wouldn't know 'standards' if you found it in the dictionary.

Two threads inspired me to share what I've been turning over in my head a lot lately.

Are there really any trustworthy news sources anymore?

Those of you who are left wing might list the Mainstream Media, or CNN, or MSNBC. Many will even list the Huffington Post and a trustworthy news source.

Conversely, many righties will list FOX or even The Blaze.

Myself, I say there is only one source and it isn't anuy one of those.

The lies and distortions of the Mainstream Media are well documented and have been gone over ad nauseum in this forum. The partisan slant of the Huffington Post, Salon.com, FOX News, The Blaze, and others cannot rationally be denied.

I choose to listen to the right wing guys. I watch FOX, and I listen to Beck. I DO NOT form my political opinions on what they say. I know they slant things in the direction of the right. The reason I listen to them is because I always choose the voices that criticise government. If there are two voices, one is spouting the government propaganda, and the other is criticising the government, I will listen to the one criticising. Even if I know I have to take it with a grain of salt.

There is only ONE news source that can be trusted at all. That source is USMB. Here I can get almost instant news, 24/7/365 and almost immediately get both views on the subject.

yes its part of why Im on the internets like this.

the best teacher is a strong opposition.

I wish you guys would develop some decent ability to provide some facts to back your positions

Longknife -

That is not true either. It depends on the blog home as to it's editorial standards - granted I don't know of one US media outlet that applies journalistic standards to its bloggers, but there are several in the UK, France, Canada, Australia, and several other countries.

You wouldn't know 'standards' if you found it in the dictionary.

That is absolute nonsense.

While blog hosts may have some legal requirements, they clearly and obviously do not have editorial control, nor standards.

I know what standards mean because I am a journalist, btw.

Last edited:
More than a "touch" of liberal spin there.

Very likely, but that needn't be a major problem.

I sometimes write for a daily paper here that is quite conservative in tone. But I still enjoy reading it, have total respect for the staff, and really like the editors I've met there.

It's only very rarely that I think they may have put spin on a story when they shouldn't have.

I think we should all be a little cynical and a lot open-minded about everything we read anyway, regardless of the politics on display.

Ok, I'm fine with your conclusion.

Fox news was started on the LIE that news at the time was liberal leaning.

The facts dont bend to their wishes so they say they are biased.

If you didnt want to see news with a perspective you should not have sold your souls to Fox so you could hear what you wanted to hear

In a word, no.

The only way to get the big picture on any given story at this point is to create a network of "news" sources and hit them all. So, sadly, it takes considerable effort and analysis to really absorb the news now.

Also sadly, many people either don't realize that, don't care enough to put out the effort, or are happy just getting the side of a story with which they agree.

Do you agree with my opinion that this site; USMB is actually a very good source of news?

My kneejerk reaction to that question would be something like, "freakin' HELL no."

But I guess that depends. If some of the posts you read on this site make you curious and inspire a person to do further research on the topic being addressed, that's definitely a good thing.

Outside of that, a vast majority of posts here are just opinion that could be found on any given radio talk show or cable news opinion show. Boiler-plate partisan rhetoric. The big advantage here is that I don't have to listen to three people screaming at the same time.

:laugh:

I can't tell you how many times I've heard something on the news and come here to post about it and already seen at least one thread on it already, and in that thread I have one party's opinion and the other party's rebuttal. When I hear both sides of a discussion I can better determine where the truth lies.

In the case of the Trayvon Martin drama, of course I heard about it first, living in Orlando, but it was being discussed here before it went mainstream.

I just think that this site gives both sides of any news story better than any of the media anywhere.

Two threads inspired me to share what I've been turning over in my head a lot lately.

Are there really any trustworthy news sources anymore?

Those of you who are left wing might list the Mainstream Media, or CNN, or MSNBC. Many will even list the Huffington Post and a trustworthy news source.

Conversely, many righties will list FOX or even The Blaze.

Myself, I say there is only one source and it isn't anuy one of those.

The lies and distortions of the Mainstream Media are well documented and have been gone over ad nauseum in this forum. The partisan slant of the Huffington Post, Salon.com, FOX News, The Blaze, and others cannot rationally be denied.

I choose to listen to the right wing guys. I watch FOX, and I listen to Beck. I DO NOT form my political opinions on what they say. I know they slant things in the direction of the right. The reason I listen to them is because I always choose the voices that criticise government. If there are two voices, one is spouting the government propaganda, and the other is criticising the government, I will listen to the one criticising. Even if I know I have to take it with a grain of salt.

There is only ONE news source that can be trusted at all. That source is USMB. Here I can get almost instant news, 24/7/365 and almost immediately get both views on the subject.

yes its part of why Im on the internets like this.

A good reason.

the best teacher is a strong opposition.

Agreed.

I wish you guys would develop some decent ability to provide some facts to back your positions

Awwww...just when you were showing some signs of rationality, you post that. Shame but stupid is as stupid does I guess.

Longknife -

Yes, I agree about blogs. BUT, the vast majority of blogs I post here have links to so-called reputable sources. Also, many newspapers and other media entities now have their own blogs. Every major newspaper in the USA for an example.

Forum List

Back