Are The Public Schools In Crisis?

Viktor

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2013
Southern California

The answer is in 2 parts. The public school system in the suburbs is mediocre but not in crisis.
The public schools in the cities are indeed in crisis. Many students don't acquire basic necessary skills before they graduate high school. Reading and math scores are often poor for many graduates. They are not prepared to go to work.
If you go on the Internet, you can see the problem. Many posters cannot use proper grammar and have poor reading comprehension. Many lack basic knowledge of science, government and history.

My brother in law was a high school teacher. He says the problem is school children don't want to learn and they don't try to learn in school. Apparently, their parents do not encourage them to study and learn.

The answer is in 2 parts. The public school system in the suburbs is mediocre but not in crisis.
The public schools in the cities are indeed in crisis. Many students don't acquire basic necessary skills before they graduate high school. Reading and math scores are often poor for many graduates. They are not prepared to go to work.
If you go on the Internet, you can see the problem. Many posters cannot use proper grammar and have poor reading comprehension. Many lack basic knowledge of science, government and history.

My brother in law was a high school teacher. He says the problem is school children don't want to learn and they don't try to learn in school. Apparently, their parents do not encourage them to study and learn.

Leftist have screwed our education systems and liberal parents helped.
No punishment at school or home,absolutely zero repercussions for bad behavior.
I find it hard to understand why liberals cant see the cause and effect of their policies...
As they say,Time out is just practice for prison.

I find it hard to understand why liberals cant see the cause and effect of their policies...
I suspect you are right. The lefties have invaded and distorted the teacher's unions and part of their destruction of education is teaching kids that anything they do is ok.

I suspect you are right. The lefties have invaded and distorted the teacher's unions and part of their destruction of education is teaching kids that anything they do is ok.
What do your bizarre fantasies have to do with the fact that inner city school don't want to learn and parents do not encourage them? I taught in an inner city school for 3 years. The failure rate was abysmal. Kids showed up to class with nothing day after day. No pencil, no paper, no books. Most did not speak English.

No punishment at school or home, absolutely zero repercussions is not just liberal parents. It is MOST parents, period.

Admiral you said it perfectly. Schools are never going to be perfect. You get out of education what you put in. When kids don't want to learn what do you whiners propose to change them? It's always the teachers fault correct? The student has zero responsibility according to you.

Your last paragraph tells it as it is.

The urban schools are not "bad." Here in Los Angeles, for example, they are equipped with the latest computers and textbooks.

Many of the students, however, do not deserve the title of "student." More appropriate would be the title "troublemaker."

I hear, however, that many of the urban school districts back east are even worse -- for certain reasons.

The politicians, of course, won't admit the brutal truth, so they keep demanding more and more taxpayer money "for the children."

No punishment at school or home, absolutely zero repercussions is not just liberal parents. It is MOST parents, period.

It is SOME parents, not most. Most parents do want the best for their children, and are willing to discipline when aware of the need. Some parents are "parent," and that parent works three jobs. Some parents don't communicate with their children's' schools as closely or regularly as they would like because they don't speak English and/or are illiterate and therefore have diminished means of communication. Some families struggle with addiction and/or mental illness or any number of other challenges that make it difficult to be Ward and June Cleaver. That doesn't mean they don't care, and it doesn't make it the 'fault' of teachers either. Few things are as simple as simpletons would have it.

What do your bizarre fantasies have to do with the fact that inner city school don't want to learn and parents do not encourage them? I taught in an inner city school for 3 years. The failure rate was abysmal. Kids showed up to class with nothing day after day. No pencil, no paper, no books. Most did not speak English.

Not being a native English speaker does not mean one "doesn't want to learn."

Bullshit! In my experience that was a majority of the cases.

You didn't bother to get to know your students and their circumstances well enough.

You really think that not being a native speaker of English means a student doesn't want to learn, or that their family doesn't care? Are you fucking serious?

You didn't bother to get to know your students and their circumstances well enough.

Very respectfully, fuck you!

Don't complain about other people being ignorant about education and then spout off ignorantly yourself.

You really think that not being a native speaker of English means a student doesn't want to learn, or that their family doesn't care? Are you fucking serious?
No, try reading what I said, dumbass! I said the kids in inner city schools do not want to learn and their parents don't care.

Don't complain about other people being ignorant about education and then spout off ignorantly yourself.
You have no right to disagree with my experiences. Fuck you!

I most certainly do.

I most certainly do.

That is calling e a liar, and I do not appreciate that. It's a miracle I took you off ignore. You have have a distinct "holier than thou" attitude.

You cannot disagree with my experience ad what I know to be true, based on 21 years as a teacher and a school administrator, you still "wet behind the ears" know-it all!

Forum List

Back