Are the current Armed Forces force levels enough?

My cold, dead trigger finger is.
lol. you are a ridiculous man.
are you a soldier in the united states armed forces?
Retired, and in the Inactive Reserve.
so... no.

?
the answer was 'no'
you are not a soldier. you were.
When a person retires from the military he is placed in the Ready Reserve with orders called Pocket Orders and is subject to recall by the President in a National Emergency. One can always volunteer for active duty during a build up but they rarely take anyone unless they need a vital MOS. Alas I was a common grunt and they would snatch you up first.

The Defense Department has contingency plans and scenarios for any situation that could crop up. There are adequate amounts of armaments, equipment and reserves and a plan for a draft. . Factories are prepared to go on a war footing at a moments notice. Personnel and war equipment is located strategically around the world and units such as the 82d Airborne Division are a Quick Reaction Force. Currently the one big setback is funding and the House and Senate Armed Service Committees will solve that problem quickly to get Obama off his dead ass.
That's my analysis and opinion.
Any naysayers?
It would take the USA a long time to go onto a full war footing.

Take a look at my separate thread on who is really a superpower in the Military section.
You can check on the Combat Ready Status for each major command in the DOD. It's not classified and is tested once a year.
I already did.

See my separate post regarding who are the real superpowers in the Military section.

so... no.

?
the answer was 'no'
When a person retires from the military he is placed in the Ready Reserve with orders called Pocket Orders and is subject to recall by the President in a National Emergency. One can always volunteer for active duty during a build up but they rarely take anyone unless they need a vital MOS. Alas I was a common grunt and they would snatch you up first.
so again, no, not a soldier. how long have you been retired? i think i had you as way older than you are

so... no.

?
the answer was 'no'
so again, no, not a soldier. how long have you been retired? i think i had you as way older than you are
That's classified.

the answer was 'no'
That's classified.
fair enough.
so... no.

?
the answer was 'no'
not trying to be a jerk - really just trying to wrap my head around this -

how can you have 28 years experience in the publishing business, military retirement, and still be in the irr?

hossfly gives some good advice, though I personally don't think end times are around the corner.

Ms Aflac above needs to stop quacking and offer some well thought out comments to the OP.

We currently spend about twice as much as the next twenty five countries put together.

the answer was 'no'
That's classified.
fair enough.
so... no.

?
the answer was 'no'

how can you have 28 years experience in the publishing business, military retirement, and still be in the irr?
Retired in '77 at 38 years old. 28 years at my job put me at 65 years old. I'm currently 76 years old and my orders haven't been rescinded yet because of a vital MOS.

hossfly gives some good advice, though I personally don't think end times are around the corner.

Ms Aflac above needs to stop quacking and offer some well thought out comments to the OP.

We currently spend about twice as much as the next twenty five countries put together.
I don't see any end times yet. Only the prophesy.

Then your sorry ass will be booted out before you can get your gear together.
what does that mean?
can you not see that if we managed to unite every nation on the planet in common cause against us we would clearly be in the wrong?
That's an assumption. In World War 1 and 2, we had nations, not all of them, unified against us, and they were clearly in the wrong.
we also had allies.

if we manage to do something never before done - unite the world in common cause against a single enemy - we wont have done it by being in the right
As I said to the other guy, the general perception would be that we're in the wrong, not that we actually are. That or that they have something to gain by destroying us.
either way no matter the size of the military a world in which the united states is at war with every other nation on the planet is not one i would want. defeat would be the better option
Then move to Russia.

what does that mean?
can you not see that if we managed to unite every nation on the planet in common cause against us we would clearly be in the wrong?
That's an assumption. In World War 1 and 2, we had nations, not all of them, unified against us, and they were clearly in the wrong.
we also had allies.

if we manage to do something never before done - unite the world in common cause against a single enemy - we wont have done it by being in the right
As I said to the other guy, the general perception would be that we're in the wrong, not that we actually are. That or that they have something to gain by destroying us.
either way no matter the size of the military a world in which the united states is at war with every other nation on the planet is not one i would want. defeat would be the better option
Then move to Russia.
Since we aren't facing and never will face your bizarre scenario i see no reason to move anywhere

the answer was 'no'
That's classified.
fair enough.
the answer was 'no'

Retired in '77 at 38 years old. 28 years at my job put me at 65 years old. I'm currently 76 years old and my orders haven't been rescinded yet because of a vital MOS.
i don't want you to take this the wrong way. i believe you are sincere in your statement.

that said, i don't think that it's possible for you to still be part of the irr. in fact, I'm about 99% positive. again, i don't doubt your sincerity, just your facts - not that it makes a whit of difference because even if true you would never be recalled for service

That's classified.
fair enough.
the answer was 'no'

i don't want you to take this the wrong way. i believe you are sincere in your statement.

that said, i don't think that it's possible for you to still be part of the irr. in fact, I'm about 99% positive. again, i don't doubt your sincerity, just your facts - not that it makes a whit of difference because even if true you would never be recalled for service
I don't ever expect to be recalled either unless there is a national emergency. Normally once you reach 75 you are automatically relieved of all responsibilities and duties. In my case I have a vital MOS and a clearance that requires a debriefing. In the past 18 months since I turned 75 I have not been debriefed nor have I received orders..

That's classified.
fair enough.
the answer was 'no'

I don't ever expect to be recalled either unless there is a national emergency. Normally once you reach 75 you are automatically relieved of all responsibilities and duties. In my case I have a vital MOS and a clearance that requires a debriefing. In the past 18 months since I turned 75 I have not been debriefed nor have I received orders..
meh. you can't be conscripted for life. your irr time was over a very ling time ago.

That's classified.
fair enough.

meh. you can't be conscripted for life. your irr time was over a very ling time ago.
Maybe I'm AWOL and didn't know it.

fair enough.

lol. always that possibility. have you always informed the irr of your location?

lol. always that possibility. have you always informed the irr of your location?
Yes, once a year you have to make an accounting to DOD and report any changes. I called my Army branch (Infantry) a year ago and was told to carry on.

if that ever happened i would not want the united states to win
True if we did something that caused the entire rest of the planet to unite against us, the we'll likely have become an evil, evil country.
Not true, and even if it were, it doesn't mean the citizens of the United States should suffer for the government ticking off all the other countries.
That's dumb. So if you were a German during WW2 you would wish Germany was powerful enough to conquer the rest of the planet because your citizens shouldn't suffer just because your government is ticking off other countries?
I'd actually want to start a rebellion, since the government was oppressive. They are a different story, because they didn't treat other countries well, or their own people. Their people were already suffering.

Sure, we have a long rich history of destablizing other nations to gain access to resources and markets, or to undermine the liberty and democracy of others when we don't like what they're up to. Things we'd wail about if done to us.
Personally, I do agree that we should stay out of other nations, but supposedly the government had the best intentions. Our current president is proof that we can't always have a good leader. Sometimes your leader is just totally inept.

we also had allies.

Then move to Russia.
Since we aren't facing and never will face your bizarre scenario i see no reason to move anywhere
Again, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Sure would be awful if we were conquered.

What are your thoughts on the general force levels of the Army, Air force, Marines, and Navy? Are they enough? Too much? Too little? Composed of the right elements? Or no longer needed?

Geo political implications make this a complex issue.
No, our military is never enough, it should be the most powerful military in the world to such an extent that even if every other nation banded together, we could crush them without a thought.
This post by Pumpkin Princess (age 14) is nonsense and everyone who "liked" it is at the mental level of a 14 year old.

China is the infantry king of the world and the USA can never catch them.

Russia is the tank and arty king of the world and the USA can never catch them either.

The USA is the king of air power and sea power, however those forces can only move nominal reactionary forces to hot spots. They cannot fight a world war.

Grow up people. Grow a brain. And stop emulating a little 14 year old b!tch.
That's extremely rude and childish. Ironic that you called several people childish, then proceeded to call names.

By your logic, we should just give up building our military, because supposedly other nations do certain things better. that makes literally no sense.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. We'd be pretty hosed if we needed such a powerful military and that actually did happen, wouldn't we?
if that ever happened i would not want the united states to win
True if we did something that caused the entire rest of the planet to unite against us, the we'll likely have become an evil, evil country.
Not true, and even if it were, it doesn't mean the citizens of the United States should suffer for the government ticking off all the other countries.
That's dumb. So if you were a German during WW2 you would wish Germany was powerful enough to conquer the rest of the planet because your citizens shouldn't suffer just because your government is ticking off other countries?
Pumpkin Princess is just a 14 year old girlie. No brains. No experience. No sense at all.
You're acting really immature. The least you could do is try to act act your age, and debate civilly.

Forum List

Back