Are mandatory random drug tests violations of the fourth amendment?

My company wants to start drug testing this summer. I am opposed to them on constitutional grounds. How can I consent to an unwarranted search of the most intimate place I own, my body?

Would you consent if, as a condition of your employment, your company wanted to come into your home, riffle through your check book, peek under your bed, snoop around in your closets and dressers?

I will comply if they present a search warrant and show probable cause.

It's funny how that fourth amendment can be ignored.

Would you consent if, as a condition of your employment, your company wanted to come into your home, riffle through your check book, peek under your bed, snoop around in your closets and dressers?

Testing your urine is less intrusive than searching your papers, effects, home.

Is it unreasonable? You don't have to consent. As others have said, you'd probably have to work elsewhere.
If you would not consent to having your home searched, why would you consent to having the most intimate space you own searched? Isn't your body the most intimate space you own?

Exactly, and in this example -- "testing" everybody -- without any probable cause whatsoever.

My company wants to start drug testing this summer. I am opposed to them on constitutional grounds. How can I consent to an unwarranted search of the most intimate place I own, my body?

No it is not a violation of your rights!

If you work for a union you have nothing to fear, even you smoke pot during your lunch breaks..

Silly far left drones!
I am not a member of a union. I work as the county Building Inspector. I have a sterling attendance record, I have NEVER been involved in a workplace accident and I do not use drugs.

I am an American who holds the constitution dear. Ever read it? I advise you to start with the Fourth amendment.

And yet you do not understand that which you read!

You only know far left religious dogma.

If you say you hold the constitution dear then you would never vote far left..

These are just words to make yourself sound noble, but you are hardly noble supporting the far left .

Just suck it up and take the test! Unless you have something to hide..

And you show with each and every post that you do not understand the forth amendment..

Is it unreasonable? You don't have to consent. As others have said, you'd probably have to work elsewhere.
If you would not consent to having your home searched, why would you consent to having the most intimate space you own searched? Isn't your body the most intimate space you own?

Exactly, and in this example -- "testing" everybody -- without any probable cause whatsoever.

Another far left drone that does not understand he Constitution, only far left religious dogma..

You don't have to "consent" to the drug test. You'll probably have to find a new job, though.
How can they hold my fourth amendment rights hostage? The ransom is my job.

Can they tell me to not own a gun next? How to vote? Not to post on USMB? What church to attend?

Where does the erosion of constitutional rights end?

Can they search your home looking for stolen company property?

Not without some reason to believe that property is actually there, no. What's the difference?

If you don't like it, you don't have to work there

Trut but the real issue is that too many people have just rolled over for this bullshit. If enough people grew some backbone and stood up to it -- they would back down. They'd have no choice.

Methinks the Unwashed have a habit of forgetting who's in charge.

They aren't searching your body, you're peeing in a cup.

Why are so many folks willing to roll over on the Fourth Amendment but fight tooth and nail for the Second?

Aren't rights rights and equally sacrosanct?
Not a good analogy. The county has the right to make you leave your gun in the car or even at home. It's the government doing the drug testing but it's for a job. They may have a good reason, like someone doing something dopey and costing the citizens a bundle. Or it may be a factor for health or liability insurance.

It isn't like the government is random testing citizens, that would be an issue.
Do you think drug testing by a government agency on their employees is unreasonable search and seizure?

If they issued a warrant and showed probable cause, I would gladly comply.

But I don't want my medical records unsecured. I don't want my body searched without cause. I value privacy.

Freedom isn't free. Protecting freedoms is not the exclusive province of the Department of Defense. I believe every citizen must fight for their freedoms whenever they are threatened.
It's a job and they may have good reason to do it like the private sector does. I don't know what you mean by unsecured medical records. If you are a building inspector they are paying you to drive around so they have skin in the game.

I don't think so...unless your employer is the State. Then maybe.

And probably not even then if its part of your employment contract.

Why are so many folks willing to roll over on the Fourth Amendment but fight tooth and nail for the Second?

Not a good analogy. The county has the right to make you leave your gun in the car or even at home. It's the government doing the drug testing but it's for a job. They may have a good reason, like someone doing something dopey and costing the citizens a bundle. Or it may be a factor for health or liability insurance.

It isn't like the government is random testing citizens, that would be an issue.
Do you think drug testing by a government agency on their employees is unreasonable search and seizure?

But I don't want my medical records unsecured. I don't want my body searched without cause. I value privacy.

Freedom isn't free. Protecting freedoms is not the exclusive province of the Department of Defense. I believe every citizen must fight for their freedoms whenever they are threatened.
It's a job and they may have good reason to do it like the private sector does. I don't know what you mean by unsecured medical records. If you are a building inspector they are paying you to drive around so they have skin in the game.

Where is the probable cause?
Particularly when it's "mandatory" as a condition of employment?

It is impossible to establish a causation between the chemical content of one's blood an d "doing something dopey". That's utter bullshit.
I didn't break it down to toddler level, sorry. I meant on dope. It should have been obvious?

It is impossible to establish a causation between the chemical content of one's blood an d "doing something dopey". That's utter bullshit.
I didn't break it down to toddler level, sorry. I meant on dope. It should have been obvious?

You also didn't challenge my point.

Is he being singled out? Sounds like it's for everybody. Probable cause has nothing to do with it. No one is assuming guilt.

They aren't searching your body, you're peeing in a cup.
And what do they do with the urine? Do they search through it?

I did but I can't talk baby talk for you, sorry. Ask a grownup why drugs can lead people to do stupid things.

Is he being singled out? Sounds like it's for everybody. Probable cause has nothing to do with it. No one is assuming guilt.

Thanks -- that's exactly the point.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things

I did but I can't talk baby talk for you, sorry. Ask a grownup why drugs can lead people to do stupid things.

And you still didn't.
Wouldn't it be easier to simply admit I'm right, you're wrong, and walk away in shame? I'm sure it would save time.

you have a fundamental misunderstanding of whats going on dude. So long as you VOLUNTARILY work where you work.....nobody is violating your rights. You are volunteering them. Rights violations are a misunderstood concept by a lot of people these days. Jesus christ.

No it is not a violation of your rights!

If you work for a union you have nothing to fear, even you smoke pot during your lunch breaks..

Silly far left drones!
I am not a member of a union. I work as the county Building Inspector. I have a sterling attendance record, I have NEVER been involved in a workplace accident and I do not use drugs.

I am an American who holds the constitution dear. Ever read it? I advise you to start with the Fourth amendment.

And yet you do not understand that which you read!

You only know far left religious dogma.

If you say you hold the constitution dear then you would never vote far left..

These are just words to make yourself sound noble, but you are hardly noble supporting the far left .

Just suck it up and take the test! Unless you have something to hide..

And you show with each and every post that you do not understand the forth amendment..
Just suck it up and leave your gun at home, unless you want to shoot somebody.

you have a fundamental misunderstanding of whats going on dude. So long as you VOLUNTARILY work where you work.....nobody is violating your rights. You are volunteering them. Rights violations are a misunderstood concept by a lot of people these days. Jesus christ.
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things

Notice it does not say "Congress shall" or "Congress shall not"

It says the rights of the people shall not be violated.

Notice it does not say "Congress shall" or "Congress shall not"

It says the rights of the people shall not be violated.
youre being a dumbass. You either accept conditions of employment or you dont....EITHER WAY, your rights arent violated because you CHOOSE TO WORK THERE. WOW. Does a company who fires you for saying your boss is a **** to her face violate your 1st amendment right? Derpderpderp

Forum List

Back