Are mandatory random drug tests violations of the fourth amendment?

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
My company wants to start drug testing this summer. I am opposed to them on constitutional grounds. How can I consent to an unwarranted search of the most intimate place I own, my body?

Would you consent if, as a condition of your employment, your company wanted to come into your home, riffle through your check book, peek under your bed, snoop around in your closets and dressers?

I will comply if they present a search warrant and show probable cause.

It's funny how that fourth amendment can be ignored.

My company wants to start drug testing this summer. I am opposed to them on constitutional grounds. How can I consent to an unwarranted search of the most intimate place I own, my body?

Would you consent if, as a condition of your employment, your company wanted to come into your home, riffle through your check book, peek under your bed, snoop around in your closets and dressers?

You don't have to "consent" to the drug test. You'll probably have to find a new job, though.

You don't have to "consent" to the drug test. You'll probably have to find a new job, though.
How can they hold my fourth amendment rights hostage? The ransom is my job.

Can they tell me to not own a gun next? How to vote? Not to post on USMB? What church to attend?

Where does the erosion of constitutional rights end?

Can they tell me to not own a gun next? How to vote? Not to post on USMB? What church to attend?

Can they search your home looking for stolen company property?

If you don't like it, you don't have to work there

Considering it wouldn't be government action against you, but private action, I don't see how the 4th amendment comes into play.

Now, if they turned around and sent the information to the cops, and the cops arrested you over it, that would probably violate the 4th amendment.

Actually without a warrant, no, they can't.

If they show probable cause. If they get a search warrant issued by the courts.

What happened to due process?

Considering it wouldn't be government action against you, but private action, I don't see how the 4th amendment comes into play.

Now, if they turned around and sent the information to the cops, and the cops arrested you over it, that would probably violate the 4th amendment.
I work for the county. I'm the Building Inspector.

I don't use drugs, I have a sterling attendance record, I am thorough and competent.

It's not a private company, it's a public sector job.

Testing your urine is less intrusive than searching your papers, effects, home.

Is it unreasonable? You don't have to consent. As others have said, you'd probably have to work elsewhere.

Testing your urine is less intrusive than searching your papers, effects, home.

Is it unreasonable? You don't have to consent. As others have said, you'd probably have to work elsewhere.
If you would not consent to having your home searched, why would you consent to having the most intimate space you own searched? Isn't your body the most intimate space you own?

My company wants to start drug testing this summer.

Better lay off awhile, then.

I am opposed to them on constitutional grounds.

Oppose away. You have no right to the job.

I consent all the the time to riffled checkbooks, underbed peeks and snooping..

Oh, I'm self-employed. :laugh:

Enjoy unemployment.

If the government was doing it, you could maybe make a case of unconstitutionality, but not if a private company is.

Why are so many folks willing to roll over on the Fourth Amendment but fight tooth and nail for the Second?

Aren't rights rights and equally sacrosanct?
Not a good analogy. The county has the right to make you leave your gun in the car or even at home. It's the government doing the drug testing but it's for a job. They may have a good reason, like someone doing something dopey and costing the citizens a bundle. Or it may be a factor for health or liability insurance.

It isn't like the government is random testing citizens, that would be an issue.

No it is not a violation of your rights!

If you work for a union you have nothing to fear, even you smoke pot during your lunch breaks..

Silly far left drones!

Why are so many folks willing to roll over on the Fourth Amendment but fight tooth and nail for the Second?

Not a good analogy. The county has the right to make you leave your gun in the car or even at home. It's the government doing the drug testing but it's for a job. They may have a good reason, like someone doing something dopey and costing the citizens a bundle. Or it may be a factor for health or liability insurance.

It isn't like the government is random testing citizens, that would be an issue.
Do you think drug testing by a government agency on their employees is unreasonable search and seizure?

If they issued a warrant and showed probable cause, I would gladly comply.

But I don't want my medical records unsecured. I don't want my body searched without cause. I value privacy.

Freedom isn't free. Protecting freedoms is not the exclusive province of the Department of Defense. I believe every citizen must fight for their freedoms whenever they are threatened.

Absolutely it's bogus, and it's another manifestation of We the People just rolling over on command for this shit.

I've never consented to urine screening in my life and never will. When a company falling all over itself to get in line with the fascist agenda asked for it, I flatly refused. They didn't press it any further.

People going along with this sort of intrusion is exactly what enables it.

No it is not a violation of your rights!

If you work for a union you have nothing to fear, even you smoke pot during your lunch breaks..

Silly far left drones!
I am not a member of a union. I work as the county Building Inspector. I have a sterling attendance record, I have NEVER been involved in a workplace accident and I do not use drugs.

I am an American who holds the constitution dear. Ever read it? I advise you to start with the Fourth amendment.

It is impossible to establish a causation between the chemical content of one's blood an d "doing something dopey". That's utter bullshit.

Forum List

Back