Are knives arms?

If yes...is the right to carry a knife protected by the Second Amendment?
In certain cases they are arms. Small hand arms.

1641153380295.png

I don't believe that the founding fathers had knives alone as arms in mind and were referring to the right to bear arms, like guns or any deadly weapon, in the war with the British. That was the extent of it, and the issue has morphed into the catastrophe that we have today. I own 3 guns and support gun owner's rights, but not to the extent of the ridiculous. Common sense must be used.

I don't believe that the founding fathers had knives alone as arms in mind and were referring to the right to bear arms, like guns or any deadly weapon, in the war with the British. That was the extent of it, and the issue has morphed into the catastrophe that we have today. I own 3 guns and support gun owner's rights, but not to the extent of the ridiculous. Common sense must be used.
what common sense should be used??

Although Second Amendment cases and scholarship have focused on guns, the Second Amendment does not protect “the right to keep and bear Firearms.” The Amendment protects “arms,” of which firearms are only one category. In this Article, we analyze Second Amendment protection for the most common “arm” in the United States—the knife.

I would say yes.

There's the "National Switchblade Act" that banned switchblades for some reason.

"Common" sense is abject naievity, and ignorance. Anyone who looks to "common" sense as foundational grounding, is beneath imperical thought....

Mostofcoursely!

In 2016 the Supreme Court held that a state law banning stun guns was a violation of the 2ndA. The lower court had upheld the law on the primary reasoning that stun guns, "were not in common use at the time of the Second Amendment’s enactment".

The Supreme Court (in a per curiam decision) vacated the lower court's decision, simply quoting Heller saying that “the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding”.

So, not just knives but also swords, battle axes, maybe a mace or a halberd.

It would be pretty cool to get on a train with a halberd

Forum List

Back